Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP!] Unnamed Gameplay Mod

Post by Samarai1000 »

Thank you for the feedback! I did mainly test the mod in Doom 1 rather than a variety of maps, so balance could be a bit skewed. Hopefully I can change that!

I agree that the Revenant sounds aren't great. I couldn't really think of what they'd sound like without just reusing Perk's HD sound effects. I'm glad you like the other sounds!

As for optimization, ouch! I was going to figure out a way to limit shell casings, barrel debries, and other garbage lying on the ground, but kept procrastinating. That save file bloat sounds really bad and I'm sorry for the trouble with it.

Hopefully the new SSG reload being a little faster will help balance it. I do wish I wasn't so limited in the sprites, but there really aren't many angled SSGs I've been able to find. If anyone can point me to some, I'd be forever in your debt.

To cap off this wall of text, I'm surprised about the comparisons to Hideous Destructor! HD is my favorite mod, but I don't think this holds a candle to it in terms of quality, attention to detail, and enemy behavior. Speaking of enemy behavior, I've been considering making it so gun-using enemies may "consider" (random chance) prematurely reloading their guns as long as you can't see them. Both to add new tactics (baiting enemies into reloading to get the drop on them) or just to make them feel more alive. I'm not sure about it, since random chance-based mechanics are very iffy and I'm worried sight checks on a bunch of enemies could cause performance problems. Anyways, when I'm able to tinker later today I'll try to make optimization less of a dumpster fire. Thanks again!
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

i actually liked the revenant sounds, nice metallic clanging

as for ssg sprites, how about this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15080&start=30540
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Performance (hopefully) update is out! Check the changelog for more information, have fun messing with the Cvars!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Playing this with the new version of Alfonzone, it seems that the weapon offsets are WAY too far off. It's not to say they aren't aligned with the sprite but that gameplay-wise, they can be quite detrimental. You can easily get yourself killed just my standing beside a wall to the right of you when using the grenade launcher even if it is VERY clearly out of the way (and when i say to your right, in such a way that you can't even see said wall at all) and fighting imps at close range with the shotgun is a horrendous experience. If an imp is close enough to you and you aim the shotgun with the crosshair or center of your screen, you'll miss all your shots until you realise that you need to keep the imp all the way to the right side of your screen to hit them. Not only that but aiming the shotgun in general forces you to aim to the left of everything and the shots only really align with the crosshair at extreme ranges where you wouldn't be using the shotgun at all.

Also, I really appreciate the new CVARs and such. Makes playing with a laptop much easier.
Rez

Post by Rez »

Grenades blowing up in your face when close to a wall can be fixed by reducing the projectile size.

Grenade direct hit damage is set to a fixed 20 and bosses tend to have immunity to splash damage.
Cyberdemons can easily tank a hundred grenades.

Some of the pistol sprites have a single floating pixel.

These are straight up the most fun guns to shoot out of any weapon set. Amazing work so far!
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

New update released to address (some of) the issues Someone64 and Rez mentioned, thank you both so much!
I couldn't find the missing pixel on the pistol sprites, and now I'm anxious due to my inability to find it. If you can give me a spritename or at least circle it ingame, that'd be great!
(file is updated, will provide changelog in a moment)
Edit: Forgot to mention something! The grenade launcher is still very ineffective against cyberdemons and masterminds. When I get around to changing them, I'll probably remove their radius damage immunity.
Rez

Post by Rez »

The floating pixel is transparent, try filling in the empty space in black.
Affected sprites are all PIST, PEMP and PCOK up to C
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

You can give projectiles a +forceradiusdmg flag that works on boss creatures. Taking away their radius resistance will mean that cyberdemons could be cheesed by making them shoot walls point blank (which will kill them eventually) and the cybie Vs Spidey fight in gotcha will be extremely one-sided.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

i like the knife's "fierce underhand rocket up through the chin" animation, and i really don't want it gone. maybe have it as it's own separate weapon and have a throwing altfire? have it as an upgrade for the fist and the chainsaw/sword as a separate weapon? also, i'd like to suggest a super shotgun always gibs and a ssg spawns on shotgun pickup cvars, for doom 1 playthroughs.
also (again) bingo bango bongo, here it is, the pixel.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20181122_132605_01.png
Screenshot_Doom_20181122_132605_01.png (31.15 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
camper

Post by camper »

Once again, carefully played in deathmatch. I was wrong, the weapon is quite balanced. Below is the video:
https://yadi.sk/i/UvO-EMETFQvkHw
Replaced the last weapon on unmaker, because in deathmatch it was useless.
The gameplay of a plasma gun is just perfect.
I want to note that I am not a programmer and I practically don’t understand scripts, it’s just a wad set.
camper

Post by camper »

The knife can be fast, as in urban terror
https://youtu.be/8VdMpsqBVzw
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Sorry for the lack of updates in the past few days. And this one is relatively light, aside from the introduction of the first boss/miniboss replacement, the Cyberdemon!
If you don't feel like fighting him blind, here's a small video showing what his attacks and behavior are like. Watching it myself, I realize he could use some more attack variety. Please provide feedback on him, he's a bit of a far-cry from his vanilla equivalent in some respects.

LossForWords wrote:*snip snap*
Having it stay as an upgrade for the fist, or making it a separate weapon, are both neat ideas. When I get around to actually making that new chainsaw replacement I'll keep those in mind. Speaking of that, chainsaw and sword are pretty closely tied... it's kind of hard to decide!

As for the stray pixel, I think I got rid of it. I think. I remember getting rid of it one night in the sprites in GIMP, then replacing the sprites in SLADE, but I don't know if they actually replaced it, nor if I even did it in the first place. It was late.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

personally im not feelin the chaingun replacement. its the sprites more than anything
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP!] Hell Caliber (Previously Unnamed)

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

Crowbar replacement to the knife would be cool.
Clay

Re: [WIP!] Hell Caliber (Previously Unnamed)

Post by Clay »

Voted for "I have another idea"

BAGH NAKH

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=613

Return to “Gameplay Mods”