Chromatic - Alpha build now available!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Re: Chromatic - Alpha build now available!

Post by JohnnyBGetgoode »

With Scream in particular, I found that it only traveled in a circular formation around me that didnt account for height, or angle. The first time I tried it was on the stairs at E1M2. Either the Imps outlasted the power, or the attack didnt really work
Well, the projectiles currently don't account for angle; they just use the player's pitch.

In any case, the current setup causes some problems, like if you were to aim up some stairs (like the stairs in E1M2, possibly) it wouldn't hit enemies behind you; those projectiles would aim up as well. So I'm reworking the function so that the pitch of projectiles behind the player are inverted, so that they travel down the stairs instead of up. Note this will only affect the rear projectiles. The front projectiles you'll be able to aim up.

Also, I reworked the damage formula so that the gradual damage from the Scream projectiles multiplies with each projectile that strikes an enemy. These changes will be in the nest release.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Quite a shame for those who are colorblind, but i'm very impressed from the idea!
Ikaruga is one of my most favorite SHMUPs, so great job!
JohnnyBGetgoode

...well, crap. Didn't factor colorblindness into my mod...

But thanks for the compliment all the same!

EDIT: I've been thinking about where I want to take this mod, and I wonder if perhaps instead of using Doom's maps, I could make my own...
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Man, if you have the balls to recreate Ikagura in Doom, kinda, then I say you got the balls to make a TC. I do say finish the work on Doom however first, as going through doom 2 with this is a devils dream that would be amazing. If you're having problems with setting up the maps, I say ask for help. People seem friendly for a wiki for a game where you do nothing but kill
Ahpiox

Post by Ahpiox »

Interesting idea with not bad realisation
Now this mod only needs some more weapons and detailed sprites.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Thanks for your thoughts Ahpiox!

Yeah, art isn't my strong suit, so I'm not sure if can really produce really awesome sprites. But more weapons I can definitely do. I have a couple of ideas...
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

RedoLane wrote:Quite a shame for those who are colorblind, but i'm very impressed from the idea!
Ikaruga is one of my most favorite SHMUPs, so great job!
I'm color blind and I can make out what's happening just fine. Total color blindness (grayscale vision) is incredibly rare in humans, most color blind folks just have weak-to-nonexistent perception of a specific color. The most common form of color blindness (and what I have) is deuteranomaly, otherwise known as "green weak" color blindness, and is what most developers adjust for. There are other forms of red-green color blindness, and also blue-yellow forms of blindness.

I have a hard time distinguishing green from other colors, especially extremely dark or light greens, or small patches of green. In a lot of multiplayer games allies are green and enemies are red, so you can see the issue here. The most common solution is to just shift the color palette, by highlighting allies in blue and enemies in either yellow or orange. That's the trick to dealing with color blindness, for most forms of color blindness all you have to do is shift the color palette to a different set of colors.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Alright, after some hard work and banging my head against walls, Alpha 3 is ready to be tested. The main highlight? You can now fly. :3

Also, you have a slide that lets you move super fast, and if you hit enemies of the same color with it...well, you can figure it out. XD

Enjoy guys!
JohnnyBGetgoode

Hello everyone! I just uploaded a new alpha!

This will be the last feature update before Episode 2 is converted to the mod's mechanics, and boy it's a big one. The biggest change is that abilities now have levels. Every time you grab a pickup for an ability, your ability's level increases. It starts at 1 and goes up to 3. Abilty level will affect how much damage you do with offense abilities (like Strike or Smite), or how long support abilities last (like Barrier). To adjust for this change, more ability pickups have been added to the maps. Keep on the lookout for them!

Additionally, the new rocket slide works much better now, as you can now pick up items while sliding. Furthermore, the maps have been adjusted to account for the jetpack.

Please report any bugs you find here! And feel free to leave feedback!
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Hey Johnny. I was going through my saves on another mod <Shut Up And Bleed> when I noticed that the save was a complete TC, not a gameplay mod. The issue may be that it could lead to piracy if someone were to load it up with Freedoom, or they could extract the levels. Might wanna see about some alternative paths you can go down. I'm not an expert on Doom modding, hell I dont know where or what to start with, but thats just what I think could easily happen if anyone found out
JohnnyBGetgoode

Hey Johnny. I was going through my saves on another mod <Shut Up And Bleed> when I noticed that the save was a complete TC, not a gameplay mod. The issue may be that it could lead to piracy if someone were to load it up with Freedoom, or they could extract the levels. Might wanna see about some alternative paths you can go down. I'm not an expert on Doom modding, hell I dont know where or what to start with, but thats just what I think could easily happen if anyone found out
Honestly, the mod isn't really a TC. The levels are just tweaked versions of the stock Doom maps. If someone wants to steal "my" levels, I feel like they'd just be wasting their time; they'd only be useful to someone if they had mechanics like jetpacks or long jumps or something like that. Plus, the problem with Doom mods in general is that anyone with a WAD editor (like SLADE) can open it and see all the code and all the assets anyway. There's really not much I can do there, unless I were to encrypt the PK3 somehow.

And honestly, I feel like that's a dick move, considering that people might want to use my code as an example. Hell, I know I looked at other mods in SLADE for ideas. The only reason the color switching on the weapons works is because I looked at the code for a granade launcher in a mod called "Russian Overkill" because it did something similar. I took a gander and I was like, "Oh, so that's how he did it," and just wrote my own code based on it. This is normal; source code has comments most of the time because programmers look at each other's code. It's tradition, and I'm not keen on breaking that.

Thanks for your concern, but ultimately I think my mod is fine the way it is.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Hey guys. Alpha 4 ended up having WAY too many bugs and issues for my liking, so I went through and patched as many as I could. Alpha 5 has been released, and includes a slew of fixes. Please download at your earliest convenience.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Mod don't work with other maps.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Mod don't work with other maps.
Nope, and don't expect it to anytime soon. Reason being, I have no way to strategically place the redefined enemy types in a given map other than defining the map in the mod itself. This mod depends on having good enemy and item placements, and I'm not going to leave it to some randomizer algorithm to do that. So yeah...
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I'm gonna be totally honest, I think that randomly replacing the stock enemies would be just fine. And I bet it's possible to simulate strategic placement with Zscript by iterating over a list of spawned monsters and checking to see if they're near each other.

More importantly, you do not own Doom 1, or the levels inside. Episode 1 is shareware, so you might be able to get away with that, but you'll need to do a lot more than just copying and pasting the levels and changing enemies if you want to avoid copyright infringement on Ep. 2 through 4.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”