josh771's AI Director

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sir_firebrand

Re: josh771's AI Director

Post by sir_firebrand »

Some feedback from last night's test on the first chapter of Doom (Vanilla) and Hexen (to verify what happens on enemy counting traps):

- I tried some different values, including bigger "waves" of monsters and other changes, and I must say, it have a lot of potencial.

- I've seen some enemies spawning on the walls, inside stairs and down pits. On Hexen, the pits are so low, that a ton of monsters were stuck down there and I was unable to kill them.

- Most of the "ambushes" became broken due to the nature of the mod. Especially ambushes that need the player to kill an specific number of monsters to continue the game.

- The "items" random option was used temporarily and disabled due to the problems with weapons down pits and places where you cant go and maps where you need to grab a gun fast to fight your way out.

I would like to make a request:

- Make the enemies "faster/more aggressive" based on the player efficiency, if he is doing well, kick in the "faster monsters" during that period, so the enemies not only get more plentiful, but more fast/aggressive, until the player is a bit more "beaten".

- An option to keep the vanilla monsters/items as designed, and spawning extra monsters, health packs, ammo and just spawn new enemies to keep the game-play dynamic and break a little less the maps, especially slaughter maps that have tons of enemies that spawn when the player activate something or takes an item.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

This is very interesting, and seems to be compatible with other mods. I will definitely follow your progress.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Cherno wrote:Ineresting project. This kind of "middleware" hopefully will show it's true potential in the mid- to longterm, when dedicated TCs which utilize it are released (like a Left4Dead TC! :twisted: )
Someone actually did that using AEons of Death's L4D content. And the director I made for that was also inspired right off of it too. So I look forward to this development as I seriously need to overhauls AEoD's too. Heh. I don't remember what happened to the mod though but they included their own versions of weapons, player hands, voices, and more.

That being said, I do not recommend running this mod with AEoD unless you just want to be completely batshit on a sandwich because the "batshit insane" settings in my mod aren't enough for you.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've updated the latest release of my AI Director to use a slightly more reliable spawning method. You should notice monsters actually occupying monster closets now. Unfortunately I still get spawns inside walls, etc. This is very much a work in progress! Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, everyone!
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Doesn't work when running it with Nash's Duke3d Sprite Shadows. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find the conflict but figured I'd let you know.

EDIT:
Works fine now, just had to tweak the package somehow. Not sure what the difference is.
iancer

Post by iancer »

I have to sort of wonder what "tweaking the package" specifically means...it's such a vague statement, almost teasing.
Which package was tweaked? Nash or the Director? What did the tweak entail?

As for my expieriences with the same error, yes I have errors with SpriteShadow, along with NoItemCount, and even others.
What I was able to gather is that the Director is destroying things at level start, so that aspect doesn't play nicely with a lot of other zscript based mods.

What steps to take to resolve this issue seems to be beyond me, as in it appears to be solely an issue with the fact that this mod destroys items at level start. I kinda feel frustrated, because I feel I can't be sure it that is the case; I don't see the usefulness in posting the specific error logs.

Enhanced AI is prolly one of my fave mods- it improves vanilla. I adore Special Weapons because R6 was a lovely. What I would enjoy is knowing how to tweak the package to begin appreciating AI Director as well.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Basically, I downloaded Director as a zip, and converted to a pk3. The structure was basically thus:

Director.pk3
-> Director/
->->Scripts, etc.

I rearranged it in slade thus:

Director.pk3
->Scripts, etc

And suddenly started working.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

seems very interesting, i'm always taking randomizers/shufflers and roguelikish things :D i'll feedback when i have the time

1rstEDIT : It's very fine imo, it's compatible with the few monster shufflers i fed it with

2nd Edit : Definitely a 90% occurences in my load order starting today xD can you make it compatible for zssdoom or will it be a pain in the ass to try to do so ? I have not a single idea to be honest but splitscreen must be awesome with your script
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but will this eventually be expanded to include a dynamic music system. This might seem superfluous to most, but I'm always a huge sucker for games that incorporate such a system, and this mod seems to have the potential for just that.
Someone started working on something like that here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61261 but he hasn't posted since.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Doesn't work with "Nashgore VE" and "Fractal Mutation"
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Tried it out but didn't work out for me. It doesn't like sprite shadow mod and won't load with it.
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

Unfortunately this seems to be broken in the latest version of gzDoom

This is the error message I get:

Script error, "AI-Director-0.2.zip:zscript.txt" line 197:
Type mismatch in function argument
OlegGontar

Post by OlegGontar »

This mod is very brutal with the modified version of Infernal Attack+Maps Of Chaos.

Nice work! :)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Note for anyone getting errors with this on the latest GZDoom: I've made a code request to fix this, but it looks like Josh is away for a bit again. In the meantime, you can open the mod and in zscript and edit the following lines:

Change line 195:

Code: Select all

AIDItemSpawnPoint spawnpoint = AIDItemSpawnPoint(Actor.Spawn('AIDItemSpawnPoint', item.pos));
Change line 207:

Code: Select all

AIDMonsterSpawnPoint spawnpoint = AIDMonsterSpawnPoint(Actor.Spawn('AIDMonsterSpawnPoint', thing.pos));
you can see the commit diff / pull request on GitHub here.

8-)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

^The lines that need to be changed are 195 and 204 :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”