Universal Enhanced AI

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Universal Enhanced AI

Post by Josh771 »

This AI mutator should enable almost any monster from any GZDoom game or mod to create simple paths to pursue players that break line of sight, as well as sharing these paths with other nearby monsters. It also adds optional light-based stealth mechanics that respect both sector and dynamic lights.

In this video, the monsters cannot see through the bars, and I can use this to watch their movements from cover. Also, I have enabled a debugging mode so that we can visualize monster path nodes on the floor. By merely grabbing the attention of the shotgun guy, he informs the nearby zombiemen of my location and they all begin to head to the last place the shotgun guy saw me. Throughout the video, I repeatedly break line of sight with the monsters and watch their various paths change as they try to catch me.

This is basically how the mod works:
(1) Monsters see you and tell nearby monsters where you were and where you were heading.
(2) Any monster that cannot see you will immediately follow these instructions to try to find you.
(3) If a monster sees you, he updates any nearby friends on your location and heading again.
(4) If the monsters expend all their search nodes and didn't see you, they'll search around randomly for a little bit and eventually just give up and go back to idling in place.

Download the latest release from the Universal Enhanced AI GitHub page!
Last edited by Josh771 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Universal Enhanced AI

Post by Pandut »

This is super interesting. I'm always one for AI mods. I've always gotten tired when a mob of enemies tries in vain to run through an impassable obstacle to get to you, especially when they could just walk around it lol. Anything that improves the AI function of monsters is always a plus for me!
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Does this work for custom monsters or other gameplay mods that replace mods?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Gorman Frebmane wrote:Does this work for custom monsters or other gameplay mods that replace mods?
It says "universal", so one could assume that this means it's compatible with almost anything
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

In theory, this should work with anything that allows monsters to follow path nodes and/or uses the standard A_Chase movement logic. Practically speaking that should be about 99.999% of mods out there.

8-)
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

I tried out this mod and couldn't really notice a difference, but that's just because I'm not super observant! Do you plan to do some kind of a side-by-side comparison video or an explanation of what's changed?
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Sounds very interesting, I'll try it out soon.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Samarai1000 wrote:I tried out this mod and couldn't really notice a difference, but that's just because I'm not super observant! Do you plan to do some kind of a side-by-side comparison video or an explanation of what's changed?
It can be hard to notice. There is a debug variable that you can enable in the console:

Code: Select all

eai_debug = true
This will allow you to see the path nodes in-game as monsters place them. It can give you a little too much information in regular gameplay, so I'd recommend turning it off after you've had a chance to kinda see how it works (using notarget after you step out of sight can be a handy way to test this, too).

I'll try putting together a comparison video at some point showcasing the mod. Also, you can definitely trust Caligari87's word on how this mod works; it uses a sort of state machine that he originally designed for monsters switching between pathing and searching behaviors.

EDIT: I added a video to the opening post which should hopefully demonstrate that the monsters are behaving in new, more interesting ways.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Interesting idea, it kind of reminds me of that Project Babel mod, since that re-did a lot of enemy AI as well for pursuit, enemy morale, etc.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

-Ghost- wrote:Interesting idea, it kind of reminds me of that Project Babel mod, since that re-did a lot of enemy AI as well for pursuit, enemy morale, etc.
I actually use it with Babel and find that they mesh well. :) Makes the Doom monsters seem much more intelligent with both mods at once.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Have you taken any inspiration from Sneaky Doom as well? That mod had some cool AI tricks with their hunting and seeking behavior, especially since it was based off light levels.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've a funny feeling that Josh might already be very familiar with Sneaky Doom. ;)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Had a brief experiment with this. The monsters actually seemed more cautious, rather than funneling towards you like lemmings one at a time. I actually like how the enemies acted. Would like to see more from this.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Whoops, forgot he made it, thought it was another username. :P It's been fun playing with this so far, the more the AI can be improved, the better.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Josh771 wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:Interesting idea, it kind of reminds me of that Project Babel mod, since that re-did a lot of enemy AI as well for pursuit, enemy morale, etc.
I actually use it with Babel and find that they mesh well. :) Makes the Doom monsters seem much more intelligent with both mods at once.
I'm guessing it's the Monsters Only version, yes? Or does it work with the levelset version as well?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”