BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ketmar

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [BETA 2018-11-12]

Post by ketmar »

he is still insisting on redefining the whole options menu. somehow i don't even want to read further — i don't believe that other code is better. ;-)
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

so yep: lies, lies, misinfomation and lies. while the code really has less actors, and even some rare comments, code quality is not really better, and decorate knowledge is still absent. please, after all those years he still doesn't know that first state in "spawn" will never execute its action. this is everything you may want to know about "new good code".
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

All I can say is, it's still massively lagging, so the claimed code rework obviously didn't bring about any notable positive effects on performance.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

doomed_stranger wrote:after all those years he still doesn't know that first state in "spawn" will never execute its action.
Actually, some code there puts codepointer in the first state in Spawn. But apparently some code has another empty first state, so yeah, it is basically an inconsistent mess. And he pulled off some actors from his main BD mod, so I am not surprised he left the mistake.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

yeah. that indicates that "all code written from scratch" is lies. and his style not improved in any way -- good old copypasta rulez. also, there is a weird mix of tabs and spaces in source.

tbh, i had to look into original brutal code too... just enough to declare that k8VaVoom will never ever support brutal doom. i also stole parts of ketchup for built-in k8VaVoom gore mod, and i deeply regret that decision now. but i am too lazy to rewrite it -- i have other things to do with the engine. ;-)
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Try playing Bolognese with nuts.wad.

I actually got less than 0.1 fps where it otherwise would be a minimum of ~2.7 fps with the settings I used on that map. That mod makes the game up to 100 times slower.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

pretty much ANY gore mod will do this. see, there is no other way to do all that fancy blood without spawning at least 3-5 actors for a hit, even for very low amount of blood. and blg spawns way more — various checkers, guts, mist, trails, etc. you can't realistically expect to multiply amount of active actors by 3-8 times and expirience no dramatic fps drop. there is literally NOTHING anybody can do to improve things without hard-coding all the blood into C++. you can't have it for free.

also note that increasing number of actors doesn't mean linear increase of processing time. the more actors you have, the more slowdown will cause each new one. several algorithms has to iterate actor lists several times per frame.

and this is not something we're bashing sarge for. his code is awful half-competent mess from design PoV, but it works reasonably well. at least it is better than it was before.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I hate to be that guy, but you guys are derailing the thread pretty hard right now.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Gollgagh wrote:I hate to be that guy, but you guys are derailing the thread pretty hard right now.
I wouldn't say so. This mod exists for the reasons we're talking about. Anyway, nevermind.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Get Phobo wrote:I wouldn't say so. This mod exists for the reasons we're talking about.
All the posts in this page have been about bashing Mark. Where's BDLite in all of this?

So, yeah, back to topic!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Any chance of plasma death states returning to this?
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Get Phobo wrote:I wouldn't say so. This mod exists for the reasons we're talking about.
All the posts in this page have been about bashing Mark. Where's BDLite in all of this?
Well... BDLite is the bashing. :mrgreen:

But you're right -- back to topic.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

It's the most attention I've had in ages :) Some of that code that flies past during the "complete rewrite" part of the video definitely looks very familiar, but in fairness, "all sauce, no spaghetti" is a fantastic catchphrase and I wish I'd come up with it.

I'm pretty much ready to call this a release now, having shifted my attention to some other tools that I started as a necessary crutch for this project - I just want to work out some glitches with how the player is displayed in multiplayer, and I think that's it.

Gideon020, the plasma death states are intact, but they require the Plasma damage type - can you say how you're running the mod, if you've got other things in your autoload, and so on?
Rez

Post by Rez »

Theres still a few unique monster behaviors that i think are unnecessary fluff.

Only Imps and Knights (but not Barons?) have an extra animation when first spotting you.
Imps repeat this animation after every attack (thats a bug, right?).

Pinkies are the only enemy that will slowly forget and stop chasing you.

The 3 types of zombies have odd extra spawn states i didnt really notice ingame.

Big thanks for pulling through this project!

EDIT: Speaking of uneccesary fluff, please speed up RL and Bfg swap times and remove the extra ready animation on Melee and Chainsaw!
Last edited by Rez on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

DavidN wrote: Gideon020, the plasma death states are intact, but they require the Plasma damage type - can you say how you're running the mod, if you've got other things in your autoload, and so on?
I'm a derp. I wasn't paying attention to how they were dying. :oops:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”