BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [2018-10-12]

Post by wildweasel »

Kroc wrote:Found a bug! The mod is interfering with buttons / actions in D64D2.WAD. Using GZDoom 3.6.0 on MAP02 you'll find that the button on the blue key pedestal does not open the doors on the rear wall. In GZDoom 3.5.1, the switch in the centre of the dark room doesn't work. Should BDLite be loaded before the PWAD file?
D64D2 uses a lot of very strange tricks to make its "macros" work, since it is intended for doom2.exe - most notable among them is the use of very carefully placed explosive barrels to nudge voodoo dolls around (since they can't use conveyor belts, as they're Boom features). If the blast radius of the barrel, or the radius of the player, are even slightly altered, this messes up their "scripting" and can result in things not firing off properly.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Ew 3 round burst AR..
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

What would you suggest for a HUD? The current version doesn't seem to track grenades or the total amount of ammo left for the assault rifle.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Dwailing wrote:What would you suggest for a HUD? The current version doesn't seem to track grenades or the total amount of ammo left for the assault rifle.
HXTRC Hud for Brutal Doom/Project Brutality might work.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Hmm? So this is an even cleaner version of Tomtefar's Brutal Doom Extension? Interestingly, I use his version because most of the BD'isms become toggleable and its built on shifting bd21 back to its purer bd20c days and adding in some fun other things (I especially like throwable C4, the SMG based on the one Doomguy uses in the iconic cover, and all the UI and animation improvements.)

I'll keep an eye on this one as well though now.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Interesting to see other takes on building on Brutal Doom! I took a quick look around and it's nice to see that other people have done things like putting the special attacks on a base weapon instead of copy and pasting them all over the place. But I'm stripping things down much further down to the basics and reorganizing the core of it rather than building on top - in ways this project is the opposite of Tomtefar's :) For this reason, I'm not planning to release a version with the "anti-features" I listed in the main post added back in, but I hope to get it to a place where other people might be able to re-add them if they'd like to.

I've put up a new snapshot! http://teamouse.net/games/doom/bdlite-snapshot.pk3 This one puts the rifle back to its normal state - I'll use a three-shot-burst weapon in my own project (its inclusion in the base BDLite was always an accident). It also fixes a couple of major things like adding A_BossDeath calls to the required enemies, and removes the death camera in favour of a simpler original death sequence.

https://trello.com/b/fmJhYIlv/bdlite

I think I'm getting quite close to the end of what I want to do with this, now - I've cut down the number of redundant/unneeded effects dramatically, but I still need to reorganize the remaining ones into a somewhat sensible arrangement. After that, I'd like to do a pass of the SNDDEFS file to tidy that up and add back an option to make gibs/decals fade, but I'm not planning on doing any other major visible changes.

Edit: Oh, except the HUD! I'll need to adapt that to show total/loaded ammo and the grenades.
John_Wheel

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [2018-10-15]

Post by John_Wheel »

Thanks for making the death camera optional! But the fist is gone in the new snapshot.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks to be a fantastic (and intense) undertaking. I haven't had a chance to give it a spin but the posts about your renovation process are very good.
fullmetalorange

Post by fullmetalorange »

I just played through knee deep in the dead and shores of hell with this and I got to say, it is awesome. I gave it a look in Slade and it is impressive, it already is a LOT easier to work with than brutal doom.

From my playthrough I noticed an issue with the barons of hell's increased height, particularly in E2M6 inside hidden trap rooms located in the first long hallway and the dark room with flickering lights. They are stuck to the ceiling because of how low it is.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. I will keep playing through Episodes three, four and Doom 2, I will let you know if I find something else.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Could you re-implement head/leg shots with ZScript or ACS (I remember it was done before in some capacity)? Purely in the cosmetic way so they dont affect the damage, but only the death animation - for me, the best thing about BD was how monster death animation depended on where you shot them with what weapon.
Also it would've been good to have slumped-against-the-wall deaths back as well.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

I ran the package through DOOM Crusher to optimise the PNGs -- don't worry it preserves the offsets -- and it shaved about 2MB off of the file-size.
If you do this yourself, then DOOM Crusher saves the file hashes and can be re-run any time you make changes without it having to redo everything it had done before. (it takes a few hours the first time!)

Download here: (you may need to right click and save to avoid a 403) http://camendesign.com/_stuff/bdlite-sn ... rushed.pk3
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

DavidN wrote: - Code style improvements
- - Introduced a code style
🤣
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Forwarding some feedback spotted on /vr/:
The main thing BD did right in my opinion is feedback.
Every type of enemies react to the weapon they are being shot with and location shot at with a big variety of different animations,
so that every weapon feels much different from another, and each gives its own brand of violent satisfaction.
Everything else Mark added on top of that was more of a detriment to the mod.

BD-light removes location-based damage and quite a lot of death animations that were dependent on that, like sawing in half with chainsaw (regular death now), imps and zombiemen losing their jaws from the fist-to-the-face, wall-slump animation from being killed close to a wall, and so on.
So... BD-light removes not only everything bad that was about BD, but also only thing I played BD for, leaving only some graphical bells and whistles and some random death animations that don't feel satisfying anymore because they are independent from hit location.

I know it's intended to clean up code and gameplay but I feel that at this point whoever does this already tossed the baby out with the bathwater.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

In feel like trimming that stuff out makes the code easier to clean and eventually convert to a script where many of the removed features can be reintroduced in a cleaner manner.
That's what I am assuming is happening at any rate.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks, Kroc, for wading through that thread to get that - and more importantly for the PNG-crushed version! I'll make sure to run that as I move this towards the finish line :) I'm not particularly bothered about body-part individual damage detection and so took it out of my cleaned version - but if they want it, perhaps my base will give someone else the opportunity to re-implement it in a much better way.

I'm currently trying to work out why the blazes a barrel is implemented as a monster with separate spawn, see and missile states.

Code: Select all

ACTOR ExplosiveBarrel1 Replaces ExplosiveBarrel 2035
{
	Game Doom
    damagefactor "Kick", 0.1
	damagefactor "Fire", 3.5
	SpawnID 125
	Health 20
	Radius 10
	Height 34
    Mass 200
	+SOLID
	+SHOOTABLE
	+NOBLOOD
	+ACTIVATEMCROSS
	+NOICEDEATH
    +PUSHABLE
	+SLIDESONWALLS
    +WINDTHRUST
    +TELESTOMP
	+NOBLOCKMONST
	+FLOORCLIP
	+FRIENDLY
	+MISSILEMORE
	+MISSILEEVENMORE
	MONSTER
	-COUNTKILL
	Speed 0
	MaxTargetRange 200
	DamageFactor "BHFT", 10.0
	Painchance "Blood", 255
	PainChance "Kick", 255
	DeathSound "Explosion"
	Obituary "$OB_BARREL"
	PainChance "DontCallTheBaron", 255
	Painchance 255
	States
	{
	Spawn:
	    BAR1 A 1 A_Look
		BAR1 ABCD 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 E 1 A_Look

BAR1 EFGH 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 I 1 A_Look

BAR1 IJKL 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 M 1 A_Look
		Goto See
		Loop

See:	
	    BAR1 ABCDEFGHIJKLM 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		TNT1 AAAAAAAAA 0 A_Chase
		Loop

Missile:
	TNT1 A 0
	Goto See
	DoingNothing:
		BAR1 A 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 B 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
	Goto See

Pain:
		BEXP A 6
		Goto Spawn	

Pain.Kick:
	    TNT1 A 0 A_Changeflag("FRIENDLY", 0)
	    BAR1 A 1 A_Pain
		BAR1 A 0 A_Chase("","")
        BAR1 A 1 A_FaceTarget
		TNT1 A 0 HealThing(100)
		TNT1 A 0 ThrustThing(angle*256/360+128, 10, 0, 0)
		TNT1 A 0 ThrustThingZ(0,10,0,1)
		TNT1 A 0 A_Changeflag("FRIENDLY", 1)
        Goto Spawn

Pain.Melee:
	    TNT1 A 0 A_Changeflag("FRIENDLY", 0)
	    BAR1 A 1 A_Pain
		BAR1 A 0 A_Chase("","")
        BAR1 A 1 A_FaceTarget
		TNT1 A 0 HealThing(100)
		TNT1 A 0 ThrustThing(angle*256/360+128, 5, 0, 0)
		TNT1 A 0 ThrustThingZ(0,10,0,1)
		TNT1 A 0 A_Changeflag("FRIENDLY", 1)
        Goto Spawn	

Death:
        BAR1 A 1 BRIGHT
        BEXP ABCD 2 BRIGHT
	    TNT1 A 0 A_NoBlocking
	    TNT1 A 0 A_Fall
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("BdExplosionBig",0,0,30,0,0,0,0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION,0)
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem("SmokeColumn")

BEXP Z 300 BRIGHT A_BarrelDestroy
		BEXP Z 5 A_Respawn
		Wait
	}
}
Oh, and I forgot I hadn't done any Raise states for the genuine monsters - corrected that now. Also, major oops on my part for deleting the player's fists - I missed updating one name in the player's starting inventory when renaming some classes around.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”