BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hybridial

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [RC 2018-12-03]

Post by hybridial »

DavidN wrote:I also found someone describing it as "a spiteful attempt to "clean up" Brutal Doom by tearing out about half the stuff and tossing themselves off over how much better they think they are" and was ready to get all offended about it but then realized that that description is 100% accurate, and have put it at the top of the site as a ringing endorsement.
Truly inspirational.

I definitely need to aspire to even being half as savage in life.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

TOSS AND TEAR
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Trying out the release candidate, this mod has come a long way and I'm happy to see it in a fully playable state! I have some stupid nitpicks in the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
That's all I can think of for now. Sorry if my feedback seems overly harsh or anything, I'm bad at critiquing something properly and I really do like this project. I might even build some stuff off of it eventually!
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

I always welcome feedback like this, Samarai - it's always useful to know what people notice, as sometimes there are little things I see but that don't annoy me enough to change them, but knowing other people notice as well kicks me into fixing them :) I'll take a look down the list when I can!

Solfish, I've noticed the double chaingun drop as well and it's driving me mad because I can't work out why it's happening! Maybe it's something to do with XDeath? I'll have a look. I'm colourblind and the Hell Knight/Baron sprites were generously dumped into the same folder in the original Brutal Doom PK3, which made it amazingly hard to separate them out - looks like I missed that one :)
Solfish

Post by Solfish »

With double chaingun drop, you could easily fix it by adding "spawnitem or dropitem" in every death states instead of dropitem at actor properties. About water splashes by bullets and explosions, are you going to finish it or it's in anti-features?

On Trello board, I see that you want to fix weapon switching on empty? Here is a chaingun code example, maybe it will work:
Spoiler:
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I started chopping out the monsters for use with other non-BD gameplay mods. Might I suggest that the dropitems for the Zombieman and Commando be changed to the traditional "Clip" and "Chaingun" instead of the new "RifleAmmo" and "Minigun" for better compatibility with other mods (especially since the classes are already replaced elsewhere)?
quayside

Post by quayside »

Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

quayside wrote:Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.
Which doesn't mean this project doesn't have a reason to exist, mind you.
MrPyrite

Post by MrPyrite »

wildweasel wrote:
quayside wrote:Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.
Which doesn't mean this project doesn't have a reason to exist, mind you.
I have to agree with Wildweasel here. This mod could be for people who cant run the original Brutal Doom because of their Potato PC, and this mod can suffice for their taste of demon-slaying blood-bathing.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

It really started off so I could make a standalone(-ish) mod on something that was reasonably like Brutal Doom, but reworked underneath to make it possible to build new enemies and weapons on it while keeping their appearance consistent with the base monsters - if it helps people with lower-end machines then that's great as well :)

To put a cap on this, I've fixed a heap of things reported here and given it a few test runs, and I'm declaring this v1.0! Happy Christmas or whatever you celebrate, as long as it involves shotgunning demons.

Thanks again to everyone on the thread who gave suggestions - especially Samarai1000 for giving so much input and Ketmar with k8Vavoom! It was really helpful to have its stricter, more accurate error messages to improve places where I'd left holes. Speaking of which:
...any idea why? :) I'm not considering this a blocker for release as everything still seems to work fine - it happens when the player dies, calling the ScreenPainBreak ACS function in PAINEFFECT.o
Last edited by DavidN on Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Re: BDLite [V1.0 RELEASED - 2018-12-25]

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

I have a question...

Why are there extra "explosions" after using either the Rocket launcher or grenade to kill enemies?
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20181225_075639.png
Screenshot_Doom_20181225_075639.png (165.17 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Check if you have “Gibs fade” set to Yes in the options - if it’s on, they’ll burn up after a random amount of time
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

DavidN wrote:Check if you have “Gibs fade” set to Yes in the options - if it’s on, they’ll burn up after a random amount of time
Oh, I see now. Thanks for the quick reply.
affandede

Post by affandede »

How can I create a monsters-only version of this? Commenting out weapons and items in Slade gives me errors on startup.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

DavidN: actually, author of that port is idiot. i am blaming mod authors for my own bug. also, this was a developement message that shouldn't made its way into releases (sometimes you can be VERY frustrated by things some mods does, you know ;-). anyway, next build should not have that (neither message, nor bug). ;-) sorry for calling you names for my own fault. ;-)

p.s.: you can just PM me here (not on doomworld, dw doesn't like email notifications) with any k8VaVoom-related issues/questions, i am always happy to answer.

p.p.s.: you can get even more log spam with "-developer" cli arg. nothing really useful, though (afaik). and remember that "-file" can mount directory as pk3 archive. ;-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”