BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DavidN

Re: BDLite [V1.0 RELEASED - 2018-12-25]

Post by DavidN »

Haha, it's not a problem - I left an error message in our code at work once when I had to test a failure, and it ended up making it out to the staging server and broadcasting "Supplier assignment failed because David broke it" to every single developer (at least it was easy to track down who had to fix it). Out of interest, what was the bug I triggered? :)

affandede, I might be able to help out - how much did you want to pare it down? A lot of effects will be tied into the monsters and weapons - are you interested in just the new monster behaviours, or the blood effects on them as well?
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

>Out of interest, what was the bug I triggered? :)
that was workaround for lowering current weapon when player has no pending weapon. due to too early check the code failed when player dies (as dead player has no weapon in their hands), and in some other cases.

and message was put when i tried to debug some other mod which does absolutely insane shit with decorate. i spent a whole day trying to find a solution, and this text is a leftover from my debug code. it is somewhat hard to be polite when you wasted full day on a thing you thought you'll be able to fix in 30 minutes. ;-)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Aha, I see. I know, dealing with other people's code is the worst ;)
affandede

Post by affandede »

DavidN wrote:affandede, I might be able to help out - how much did you want to pare it down? A lot of effects will be tied into the monsters and weapons - are you interested in just the new monster behaviours, or the blood effects on them as well?
If it is possible, I want to create a version with monster behaviours and blood effects both, to play with gameplay mods like Doom Incarnate. By the way, are BDLite monsters coded in a way that allow to trigger specific deaths/immunities like plasma deaths or burning ones? Aforementioned Doom Incarnate and Kriegsland Enemies Pack go well in this; mechanical enemies are immune to fire attacks and plasma disintegrates enemies.
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

I noticed Pinkies still always do the arm death when shot with a shotgun or hit with an ungibbable explosion, so I decided to modify the demon code a bit so that the deaths feel more natural.

Notice how lines 124 and 135 are the modified lines of code.

This is just one example of code that probably should be looked over. Hopefully in the next update for BDLite the monster death variety is touched upon.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Ah finally, my dream of less-gore BD can be accomplished!

Great work on this btw, i was planning to release a cut-down version of BD v19 but apparently there's no need to anymore with this masterpiece!

EDIT: I am very dissapointed that this won't work with GZDoom 1.8.6/Zandronum and not even ZDoom32, oh well, seems like i have to fix it.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I have a suggestion for the mod, regarding BFG it has the awful loud and obnoxious...sound...if I can even call it like that(I'd rather call it "RIP headphone users")
Is there a possibility to replace its current firing sound to the one in DOOM 2016 or something else other than the one currently. And also it seems a bit weak if we take into account it's a fucking BFG (yea I know I just used fucking before the fucking :laff: )
Other than that I am thoroughly enjoying the mod :D
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far - I stepped away from this for a bit but have just released a 1.1 version which can be downloaded from the same place. (The PK3 will be identified as v1.1 in the DetailedCredits.txt - I'm still trying to track down a few entries for that file that were missed in the original).

Updates and fixes:

- Plasma ball dynamic light now fades correctly
- Archvile fire replaced with the less screen-filling one from Freedoom
- More HD sounds added to replace original Doom ones
- BFG sounds replaced
- Removed reliance on checkCapacity ACS function - I didn't realize that checking against zero in CheckInventory checked against your maximum limit!
- Raised the BFG damage a bit
- You are now marginally less likely to be able to punch a monster through a solid wall with your fist
- Moved monster and player projectiles out to their own files so that monsters/weapons can safely be commented out
- Altered demon death states so that their arm doesn't fall off so much

If you'd like to get this to work with Zandronum then I welcome contributions! I see that it fails because of the use of DoomEdNums, which I'd rather keep - there might be other issues underneath that as well.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

DavidN wrote:- Moved monster and player projectiles out to their own files so that monsters/weapons can safely be commented out
Eeeexcellent

rubs hands greedily
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

DavidN wrote:Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far - I stepped away from this for a bit but have just released a 1.1 version which can be downloaded from the same place. (The PK3 will be identified as v1.1 in the DetailedCredits.txt - I'm still trying to track down a few entries for that file that were missed in the original).

Updates and fixes:

- Plasma ball dynamic light now fades correctly
- Archvile fire replaced with the less screen-filling one from Freedoom
- More HD sounds added to replace original Doom ones
- BFG sounds replaced
- Removed reliance on checkCapacity ACS function - I didn't realize that checking against zero in CheckInventory checked against your maximum limit!
- Raised the BFG damage a bit
- You are now marginally less likely to be able to punch a monster through a solid wall with your fist
- Moved monster and player projectiles out to their own files so that monsters/weapons can safely be commented out
- Altered demon death states so that their arm doesn't fall off so much

If you'd like to get this to work with Zandronum then I welcome contributions! I see that it fails because of the use of DoomEdNums, which I'd rather keep - there might be other issues underneath that as well.
Other issue is that you make the taller enemies have a height check, which Zandro doesn't support. I already fixed that, and may someday finish the Zandronum version, but it's from v1.0 and it's unlikely i will update it.

Also, you can define the DoomEdNums in DECORATE instead of MAPINFO, which works perfectly fine with Zandronum and is still pretty organized.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Re: BDLite [V1.1 RELEASED - 2019-02-15]

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

I noticed that the Demon's head/torso multiplies in two when you fire a Super Shotgun at it.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20190217_000257.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190217_000101.png
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

If one wanted to, they could just open up Slade comment out weapons, and load this with a weapons mod?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Beezle wrote:If one wanted to, they could just open up Slade comment out weapons, and load this with a weapons mod?
Yes, you can do the same with the monsters and load it with a monsters mod.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Oh yea, BFG now both feels and sounds just right. Awesome update, keep up the good work.
Not sure if it was on my end or whatever but I noticed when some trees are on fire they become invisible or whatever, the flames are in mid-air and such... :?: Did anyone else experience that?
RedClairefield

Post by RedClairefield »

Using face assets from a Doomgirl Skin (made by Lynn Forest, Xaser and Alice James), arm assets from The Space Pirate made by Marty a.k.a. Cardboard Marty, sound assets primarily from freesound.org with slight edits in audacity and voice clips from Dead or Alive 2 I have made a skin mod for BDLite and shall link it thusly below and at the end of my post:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85kfiazny5pz1 ... ef.7z?dl=0

Also I uploaded a video of it in action with the "No Rest for the Living" map pack (NRFTLFIXED.WAD):

Also this image because I use a larger screen size and alternate hud when playing:
https://i.imgur.com/WWHiLXg.jpg

Additional changes include lowering the rifle clip size to 18 but making it suppressed (it no longer alerts distant enemies) and adding a 1% chance for grenade drop to all monsters. These two changes affect RIFLE.txt and BdLiteMonster.txt in the decorate folder so if they break in the future, that's where to look in SLADE.

edit:
It occurred to me that I didn't make it clear this is an ADD-ON, and is meant to be loaded after bdlite itself. You can technically run it without bdlite, but things will be really strange. The most terrifyingly strange thing I noticed is that the punch animation will alternate between doomguy hand and female hand while punching.

Linking the pk3 again at the end of my post

Return to “Gameplay Mods”