BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
vitriolicv

Re: BDLite [V1.1 RELEASED - 2019-02-15]

Post by vitriolicv »

Thanks to some help from the fine folks on ZDoom Discord, particularly Jekyll and Nash, we've found that the problem is in the "Fly" states of the chunks of meat that inherit from BdGib. They use an infinite loop that is spawning BdFlyingBloodTrail (the pain elementals do at least, and they were the most noticeable performance hit) every 2 tics, and those flying pieces just take a long time to hit the wall when water is involved.

This was a suggested rewrite to the BdGibPainPiece1 actor's fly state:
Fly:
CAGI FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF 2 {
A_SpawnProjectile("BdFlyingBloodTrail", 0, 0, random (0, 360), 2, random (0, 360));
A_SetRoll(roll + user_rotationspeed);
}
goto Death
This will make it so that the spawn of BdFlyingBloodTrail only happens 16 times (the number of F's there), but still every 2 tics. This makes some sense, as there shouldn't be infinite blood within a piece of meat; it should run out some time! This also uses an anonymous function, which apparently lets you skip invisible frames like TNT1, and just attach multiple actions to any given frame, so that's cool.

So, probably a bunch of things will need a similar rewrite. I'll be experimenting a little.

Oh, and minor issue, if this works, you'll have to consider that this will not work in Zandronum -- doesn't support anonymous functions. My personal opinion? Fuck Zandro.
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

So I took out all the loops in BDGibs and made them fixed length, and it made a difference, but did not completely solve the problem. Now I'm gonna try messing with BDBlood.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

You can check the waterlevel variable to see if an actor is submerged and adjust behavior accordingly. It's been a great many drinks since then, but I recall ReDoom's gibs checking if they were underwater and ThrustThingZ-ing downwards regularly to ensure they didn't bounce around for too long.
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

Things just ended up getting kinda weird. I don't think this was the right approach. Maybe something with waterlevel checking that decreases friction, increases gravity, or drastically increases frame durations in loops so that they aren't spawning new actors as often (which might also benefit from stopping rotation early so that it doesn't look like ass rotating at slideshow speed)? I'll have to figure out how that's done maybe.

This is what I was posting before Kinsie posted. Thanks Kinsie! Can I perhaps talk to you on Discord about how that's implemented?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

vitriolicv wrote:Oh, and minor issue, if this works, you'll have to consider that this will not work in Zandronum -- doesn't support anonymous functions. My personal opinion? Fuck Zandro.
Don't worry, i'm the guy who's doing the Zandronum version so DavidN doesn't have to do anything about that. And yes that can work on Zandronum which is what i'm going to do.

Also, thanks for the investigating, finally no more slowdowns when gibbing monsters!
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

Well, thanks for appreciating the work, but I didn't make significant headway. I did put in (in my local copy anyway, I won't distribute anything without permission) some checks for water that will kill their x/y velocity so they don't fly around underwater, and will skip them to their death state so they'll stop spawning trails and stuff, but that didn't work. I mean, it behaved like I told it to, but it didn't solve the slowdown in water. I'm at a loss.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Feel free to submit a pull request to the Github! Or send your copy over, I’d love to incorporate any fixes.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I meant to post at some point earlier in this thread, around the time you first released this, but this is really fantastic work. I think I'm equally impressed by the work on the mod itself as I am with all your effort in tooling and documentation - it's all top quality. this mod is quickly becoming an auto-load for me in most situations. judging by all the documentation, it looks like you're very much encouraging folks to build on top of BDLite - but is it also permitted to use some of the code in BDLite in other projects? some of the monster DECORATE I'd really love to pull into my own personal gameplay mod, because the physics of the death animations just feels *too good* to not want to replicate it myself
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks, Tango - it’s fantastic to know people appreciate it! I’ve meant to rework some of the tools I made alongside this with a proper front end some time. Definitely feel free to use anything from BDLite in other projects, though bear in mind that I’m not 100% sure where a lot of it came from originally - the DetailedCredits.txt file still remains for things still in there from Brutal 19, but I think a lot of the other animations might be from early versions of Beautiful Doom or elsewhere.
Tango

Post by Tango »

for sure, no worries! I'll make sure to have a look through the credits and carry em over accordingly for anything I use. cheers mate, thanks so much :D
Thorogrimm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Thorogrimm »

Will this by any chance be updated to Brutal Doom v21's assets?
GRUARRR

Post by GRUARRR »

Thank you for making this mod, it runs very smooth and it has a faster gameplay than original BD. I like it a lot.

Congratulations for your good work and I hope you continue working on this!

Some suggestion if you want: Making a only monsters version of this, because the gameplay is veeeery smooth and would be great to use other weapon mods with this.

Thank you again for making this mod.
CyborgParrot
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CyborgParrot »

Would it possible to make Total Conversion Mods using this as base?

Also, would this work with 3D Models?
Because I'm planning on making a TC/Standalone Mod that fully utilizes 3D Models (If you're curious what it is, it's a full remake of Carnivores: Cityscape).
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Certainly, feel free to use it as a base and build on to it! 3D models would work on top of the custom classes, the same way as they do for standard - how are you planning to use them?
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

by the way, are you planning to restore correct monster heights? bd has lower heights than vanilla (prolly for headshot props system), but bdlite doesn't include headshots. and if headshots are implemented by some universal script, it is absolutely impossible to lay a headshot with bdlite due to improper actor heights. it looks more like "stomach shot". ;-)

if people will use bdlite as a base for their own work, that wrong height bug will spread alot. please, fix it!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”