BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DavidN

Re: BDLite [V1.1 RELEASED - 2019-02-15]

Post by DavidN »

I've pulled a lot of the fixes and suggestions above together and released a v1.2 (updated in the original post)! I've got to say special thanks to mxd for helping this one along the way, because he came out of nowhere and submitted an absolute boatload of fixes and adjustments to rename the sounds in a better way, trim out unneeded sprites, fix monster heights and checks and so on. It was a lot of repetitive work that I found suddenly done for me!

Full change list:
- Special mention to mxd who contributed a ton of sprite fixes, height adjustments and various other pieces of cleanup! Significantly, tidying up the massive sounds folder and the terrain file, removing the need for the deathmatch check script and updating A_CustomMissile to A_SpawnProjectile absolutely everywhere. This kicked me into fixing up some other things and releasing a 1.2 version :)
- Fixed switching to fists prematurely even when the player had ammunition for other weapons! My assumption of the priority of Weapon.SelectionOrder was backwards.
- Fixed melee attacks across the board. These are implemented as invisible, very short-lived projectiles for reasons I haven't been able to identify. Made them more consistent by removing randomization and fixing some ludicrous damage values (Baron of Hell did 16-160!). Greatest offender was the Revenant which accidentally had an infinite melee distance and could theoretically punch you from across the map given a line of sight.
- Improved performance in maps with underwater areas by preventing most gibs/blood from persisting underwater
- Stopped discriminating against keyboard users, removed the no-autoaim flag on the base weapon class because I couldn't think of a real reason to have it.
- Made gibs and ammo fade by default.
- Altered some more effect classes to have more satisfactory names (such as ImpFireball instead of Fireball_)
- Removed unnecessary definition of BRIGHT on 103 occurrences of TNT1 A 0 frames

I've put it on http://teamouse.net/games/doom/bdlite/ and have also updated the two AK rifle weapon addons that NovaRain provided.
Tango

Re: BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Post by Tango »

fantastic work mate, this project is excellent :D
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

Woo!
CyborgParrot
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: BDLite [V1.1 RELEASED - 2019-02-15]

Post by CyborgParrot »

DavidN wrote:Certainly, feel free to use it as a base and build on to it! 3D models would work on top of the custom classes, the same way as they do for standard - how are you planning to use them?
What exactly do you mean by how I am planning to use them?

Also, why is the melee kick the secondary for every weapon instead of being a seperate function?

Like what if I or someone else wanted to modify the existing weapons (example: give the Assault Rifle a scope or sights to aim down or a underbarrel grenade launcher, make the Shotgun fire Dragons Breath shells, Plasma Gun with a lightning beam attack, ect) or make new weapons with a secondary fire mode like a Pistol with a secondary burst fire or a CS-style attachable silencer or a Sniper Rifle/Railgun-type Weapon with a zoomable scope or charged shot.
DYD

Post by DYD »

Sometimes there's weird flames popping up on the floor. How do I fix that?
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

Oof. I really do like BDLite, but at "slaughtermap" monster counts, BDv21 outperforms it by miles, even though BDLite is generally way less crufty and better organized. I don't know what's going on. Got to be in how the gibbing works or something -- creating too many additional actors? It comes to a crawl gradually as I kill more and more monsters. And I haven't even tried killing things in deep water again since last time I was active to see if that's still a big hit to performance.

Additionally, that one burning tree has a 9 tic animation loop but a 6 second sound, so that sound never finishes before looping, and as a result it's clicky. You *could* do 210 manually specified animation frames so that the sound has a chance to play out, or you could spawn a new, invisible actor that just plays that looping sound. But spawning more actors... eesh.

:(
DYD

Post by DYD »

Is this ever getting updated again? It feels... incomplete, as much as I do like it.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

How do I fix this bugged animated texture in BTSX Ep.2 (map 31)? Tried older versions of BDLite, same crap. Why this is even happening? Can't find this red texture in BDLite files (via SLADE), is this one of the vanilla textures?
https://imgur.com/a/BB8Py6I
In motion: https://youtu.be/rpEmmwoVRcI
camper

Post by camper »

BDLite exclusively for GZDOOM and not being developed for other ports?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

camper wrote:BDLite exclusively for GZDOOM and not being developed for other ports?
As far as I know, it won't work in anything else due to using recent features like anonymous functions. However, it should also work in LZDoom (or at least, I see no obvious reason why it wouldn't).
Linz

Post by Linz »

Greatest offender was the Revenant which accidentally had an infinite melee distance and could theoretically punch you from across the map given a line of sight.
Ok that

That is hilarious
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

i made a video about Brutal Doom, including this mod as well
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

hello, sorry for the bump but I've made a custom version of HXRTC HUD for BDLite and I hope somebody other than me would find it useful

more info here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47539&p=1202253#p1202253

oh and btw, DavidN: thank you for this mod!
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks, that looks great! Good to know this is still inspiring people :)
omxgamer127
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by omxgamer127 »

Hi Do u have discord server?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”