BDLite [V1.2 RELEASED - 2019-12-20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rez

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [BETA 2018-11-12]

Post by Rez »

You are probably already aware, but Revenants dont bleed or otherwise give any feedback on being hit.
Also, ive seen Barons and Masterminds get stuck under low cielings a few times, most enemy types have increased height compared to vanilla.
ketmar

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [BETA 2018-11-12]

Post by ketmar »

yeah, changed height is quite annoying: i cannot lay headshots anymore! ;-) no, really: k8VaVoom has built-in headshots feature, and i am really used to it.
DavidN

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [RC 2018-12-03]

Post by DavidN »

Thanks again for all comments! The imp animation was indeed a bug and I'm not sure why I didn't notice it before... I've changed that now, but I've kept in some of the little unique things about monsters if they didn't interfere with the code too much. Thanks to k8Vavoom and the developer message mode in GZDoom I think I've now ironed out all the missing states and so on. I've also added a compromise for the issue with monsters getting stuck in ceilings - if an enhanced monster detects that it's too tall for its starting area when it spawns, it will revert to its standard height and scale. (I purposely left the Revenants out of this because they're blatantly too small for their sprite in vanilla Doom.)

My attention is drifting to other things now so I want to wrap this up - I've put up a copy that I'm considering a release candidate! This should have basically everything in it now, apart from small adjustments like sounds if I discover any missing ones while testing.

The mod now also has a trailer :) Thanks to everyone for leaving your comments, suggestions and bug reports - it's been great to have been given such attention!

Last edited by DavidN on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

congrats on rc! and fun trailer too. bdlite code is nice to read, fun to play, and found some bugs in my decorate implementation. three for the price of one, and no fat? i'm buying! ;-)

thanks for your hard work, and for supplemental tools too.

p.s.: now i will prolly switch by "bdw" mod (k8VaVoom has built-in mod with brutal's assault rifle and shotgun) to your code. i like ammo indicator on rifle. ;-)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks, that's great - definitely feel free to use that! It was a bit of fluff that I added later on just because I liked it :) It's great that it helped k8Vavoom out, even though I know there were frustrations along the way :) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt-1934159
terminator44

Post by terminator44 »

Really love this mod. Shame you're moving on, but I'm sure whatever you do next will be amazing, judging from BDLite.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

as i said, i just HAET brutal code with passion. i always respected your efforts, and the final result is amazing, but it was hard to believe that somebody will be able to do what you did. ;-) that's why i always stressed that i frustrated by brutal roots, but your work is amazing. ;-)

also, ammo indicator is that small touch that makes assault rifle believable for me. logically, there must be some ammo indicator on a weapon, and it cannot be numeric, 'cause reading numbers in the middle of firefight is not the brightest idea. so this is something i can believe, with «good enough for military» style. nice touch.

p.s.: by that post i meant that you were able to turn brutal from unstomachable mess to stomachable mess. this alone is heroic. ;-)
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I think I will play this mod when it's released for real. And probably make a ZScript headshot addon for it (would make the entire thing feel like it's BDv05 with no fatalities/last stands and lesser effects but modernized).
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Tried the newest version for a bit last night, great work, and the weapon sprites are much better now. I feel this is definitely a much more refined take on the idea of a hyper fast and gory version of Doom that doesn't feel like its trying to be anything else other than Doom. If that makes sense.
EndHack

Post by EndHack »

is there a easy way to get rid of most of the blood particles Brutal Doom had options to change the amounts of blood but I didn't see any in BDLite
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

That's some quality low-key shade, right there. :lol:

8-)
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Wow. This is really impressive. I've never been a huge fan of brutal doom (aside from the general messiness of the code, the gameplay got very boring, very quickly), but this is fun!
It feels like doom with just a little extra integrated.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks! Hopefully there won't be too long to wait :) I'm fixing a couple of sound issues and so on now, but I don't have plans to include a blood particle option. Depending on what you want to remove, it might be fairly easy to customize in an option that deletes some of the trails/splats as they spawn.

The reaction to this has been great and I've really been happy with the help and pointers offered by the whole community. Trying it out on Vavoom was particularly valuable - it's impressive that it runs at all on an engine I didn't know about until last month!

I also found someone describing it as "a spiteful attempt to "clean up" Brutal Doom by tearing out about half the stuff and tossing themselves off over how much better they think they are" and was ready to get all offended about it but then realized that that description is 100% accurate, and have put it at the top of the site as a ringing endorsement.
Solfish

Post by Solfish »

I found some bugs. Shotgun guy and Commando will drop 2 guns instead of 1 when die by the rocket launcher and Hellknight is using the wrong spawn state's sprites (it's BOS2 B but you write BOSS B which is Baron of hell spawn's sprites, maybe this is a typo). Could you please fix that?
Last edited by Solfish on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ketmar

Post by ketmar »

offtopic: David, i really love your attitude towards criticism! you literally stealing weapons from the hands of your enemies! ;-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”