Metroid: Demon Hunter - 1.5d, Beta and Github (1/7/22)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Devianteist

Re: Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul - 1.4 (9/16/2018)

Post by Devianteist »

Now, given that 3D models are quite a major feature here, is it possible to get a version without the models? I quite liked the sprites in the original.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Yes there is an option in the Dreadnought Options menu that will allow you to turn 3D models off. Currently it's only for the beams but I'm working on applying it to everything. Next release should have everything toggleable.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

R4L wrote:Yes there is an option in the Dreadnought Options menu that will allow you to turn 3D models off. Currently it's only for the beams but I'm working on applying it to everything. Next release should have everything toggleable.
I can only say; beautiful.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Devianteist wrote:
R4L wrote:Yes there is an option in the Dreadnought Options menu that will allow you to turn 3D models off. Currently it's only for the beams but I'm working on applying it to everything. Next release should have everything toggleable.
I can only say; beautiful.
:mrgreen:

It wasn't hard to add and a few people requested the option so I had to put it in there. Hopefully I can improve with modeling and really make the models look better.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Bumping to say that the first post has been updated. There's a link to a mapset being developed for Overhaul with a playable demo! Cheers!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Thought I'd try this again, see how it is progressing. I noticed that the mapset being developed is using a different version of Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul. This thread has v1.4, but the mapset has v1.5c. I noticed that with v1.4 I cannot pick up missiles until I have picked up a missile tank (which is correct) but on v1.5c I can pick up missiles before I get a missile tank, meaning that those missiles are then lost.

As for the mapset itself, I noticed a few missing textures if I played it with doom2.wad, but if I use freedoom2.wad (as in the package made available for download) then it isn't. I thought Freedoom 2 had the same resource names as Doom 2 so as to be fully compatible with mods, I didn't think that it had additional named resources. Aside from that, I couldn't progress with the mapset as I cannot find a morph ball powerup anywhere, and after searching for quite some time (most of the map is locked out so there isn't much to search) I then got bored and quit. I don't know if it is a bug or something I'm missing (what with morph ball being made into a pickup). The same can be said for the bounty hunt map with the base mod, as there is a tunnel around the area above the pool at the map spawn that requires the morph ball, but there's no pickup for one.

The 3D models are looking very nice.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Yes, 1.5c is still kinda in testing, hence the missile bug you describe. It's been fixed but I have to fix it again because I lost everything recently thanks to a ransomware attack at my job that, sadly, replicated back to my home machine.

As for not having morph ball, that is probably something that got lost in communication. CrazyWazy might not have accounted that change when he was making that. To be fair, he didn't really find out about this overhaul until a few weeks ago. I've made him aware of this so he should reply here in a while.

If you want, for now, open the console and type "summon morphballmodel" and you'll be able to play the trailer.

Edit: actually, I think you need to look harder in the first room you encounter enemies in.. :) there's a platform above you in that room that leads the way to the morph ball.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Post by JohnnyBGetgoode »

As a huge Metroid fan, this was a mod that I absolutely had to play, and I must say, I'm impressed with the work you've done. The last time I played Dreadnought was years ago, and it wasn't nearly as polished as this. Having said that, I do have some thoughts.

Let's start with what I liked. I like how the Metroid-style mechanics are cleverly integrated with Doom's functions. Everything from how the Missiles and Super Missiles are handled, the various kinds of beam weapons, the clever placement of upgrades (I squee'd internally when I found the hidden Wave Beam in E1M2), and the inclusion of the Morph Ball and Power Combos. It's all great from a gameplay standpoint, and that's not even covering the work on the HUD and the gun model.

Now, the biggest complaint I have with this mod is that it's not very well balanced. The Wave Beam and Ice Beam both utterly chew through hordes like beavers through balsa wood. My health only went critical a couple of times, and the lack of difficulty was exacerbated by the Raw Energy Deposit pickups. You're practically invincible when you have them, since you get a second health bar AND they never time out.

Now, I'd be a hypocrite if I said that that style of play is inherently bad. One of my favorite mods is Russian Overkill, and that mod bends over backwards to make you feel godlike. But that mod has a unique identity all it's own, and this is inspired by Metroid, and Metroid games aren't exactly a walk in the park difficulty wise (Especially Prime 2). No, they're not so hard that you'll throw your controller against a wall, but they're not god simulators either. In order to preserve that Metroid feel, I suggest injecting a little more challenge is all.

Granted, I only tested it with Knee Deep in the Dead, so I might be talking out of my ass here. These are only my observations and thoughts, and your are well within your rights to dismiss them as such.

Overall, though? I love this. I'll definitely play it some more, and I'm looking forward to the 1.5 update. Cheers!
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

JohnnyBGetgoode wrote:As a huge Metroid fan, this was a mod that I absolutely had to play, and I must say, I'm impressed with the work you've done. The last time I played Dreadnought was years ago, and it wasn't nearly as polished as this. Having said that, I do have some thoughts.

Let's start with what I liked. I like how the Metroid-style mechanics are cleverly integrated with Doom's functions. Everything from how the Missiles and Super Missiles are handled, the various kinds of beam weapons, the clever placement of upgrades (I squee'd internally when I found the hidden Wave Beam in E1M2), and the inclusion of the Morph Ball and Power Combos. It's all great from a gameplay standpoint, and that's not even covering the work on the HUD and the gun model.

Now, the biggest complaint I have with this mod is that it's not very well balanced. The Wave Beam and Ice Beam both utterly chew through hordes like beavers through balsa wood. My health only went critical a couple of times, and the lack of difficulty was exacerbated by the Raw Energy Deposit pickups. You're practically invincible when you have them, since you get a second health bar AND they never time out.

Now, I'd be a hypocrite if I said that that style of play is inherently bad. One of my favorite mods is Russian Overkill, and that mod bends over backwards to make you feel godlike. But that mod has a unique identity all it's own, and this is inspired by Metroid, and Metroid games aren't exactly a walk in the park difficulty wise (Especially Prime 2). No, they're not so hard that you'll throw your controller against a wall, but they're not god simulators either. In order to preserve that Metroid feel, I suggest injecting a little more challenge is all.

Granted, I only tested it with Knee Deep in the Dead, so I might be talking out of my ass here. These are only my observations and thoughts, and your are well within your rights to dismiss them as such.

Overall, though? I love this. I'll definitely play it some more, and I'm looking forward to the 1.5 update. Cheers!
Thank you!

I haven't really done any weapon balancing, because I really wanted a mapset to be made for this, and now we have one being made by CrazyWazy. He's using the monsters from Hard Doom, so you can expect a significant challenge there. Also, I had hoped to add actual Metroid enemies at some point, which of course would be much stronger than the standard Doom fare.

1.5c is still in development. I've recently gotten back on my feet and recovered a little data (thank you OneDrive!) so that's good. The list of suggestions is ever growing in our Discord server, but one of the biggest ones I'm happy to get on with is Zandronum compatibilty. It still needs testing and bugs fixed, but it's working!
JohnnyBGetgoode

Post by JohnnyBGetgoode »

Dude. Zandronum compatibility would be sick. I'd love to play this online.

And you have a Discord for this? I think I'll join it. :3
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

The original mod by Term was made for Zan, but some of my changes here have introduced all sorts of bugs. But yes, Zan works. Even GZDoom coop works fine.
Wisecrack34

Post by Wisecrack34 »

I guess it's technically compatible with BD now considering Bolognese :D
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Wisecrack34 wrote:I guess it's technically compatible with BD now considering Bolognese :D
I haven't tried it yet, but I have been testing some mods to test compatibility! I suppose I'll try it out!

EDIT: It sure is.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Just an idea: If you'd like to implement the Screw Attack, I would point you to https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=794873

It's implemented in there, along with the shinespark; I like the way it's done, and thought it could be inspiration for you.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Wivicer wrote:Just an idea: If you'd like to implement the Screw Attack, I would point you to https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=794873

It's implemented in there, along with the shinespark; I like the way it's done, and thought it could be inspiration for you.
Now that is pretty impressive! I have an idea of how I'm going to add shinesparking and screw attack in, I just have to sit down and start experimenting. I'm adding some more things to the to-do list as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”