Immerse: General Purpose Immersive Camera Mutator

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Immerse: General Purpose Immersive Camera Mutator

Post by Josh771 »

Yes, if you don't want inaccuracy, you probably want to turn off "Springy Mouselook" and "Sway Camera" under the Real Aim heading. I should make a manual or a wiki or something explaining how all the settings relate to each other.

I'll explain the Real Aim settings here, though:

"Sync Move Tilt to Real Aim" - Causes all movement tilting from Tilt++ to occur in sync with Real Aim's camera swaying.
"Springy Mouselook" - Adds a touch of resistance to mouselook, to make quick turning and aiming feel more physical.
"Sway Camera" - Bobs the camera in a U-shaped pattern while moving. The faster you move, the stronger the sway; makes aiming while moving more difficult.
"Sway Multiplier" - Affects the strength of the camera bobbing introduced by the "Sway Camera" option.
"Sway Rate" - Affects how quickly the camera bobbing introduced by the "Sway Camera" option takes place, as well as affecting the rate of move tilting (if "Sync Move Tilt to Real Aim" is enabled) and the rate of footstep sounds.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Immerse has finally had its source code laid out on GitHub; in addition, I have just committed some changes that should hopefully address an issue where respawning players no longer experienced any Immerse effects and could not lean.
Audixas

Post by Audixas »

Is there a way to turn down the up and down bobbing? None of the options control it and it's just too much. My character is not a springboard.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

This addon is excellent. With some subtle changes, the screen shakes make firefights much more intense and satisfying. Will be using this one for a while :D.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Audixas wrote:Is there a way to turn down the up and down bobbing? None of the options control it and it's just too much. My character is not a springboard.
If "Sway Multiplier" isn't addressing the issue, you might be having problems with Doom's native movement bobbing. You should be able to adjust that under Display Options, or from the console directly e.g.

Code: Select all

movebob 0.0625
if you want fine control (that's simply the setting I tend to use; any number from 0.0 to 1.0 will do).
camper

Post by camper »

For mod using vehicles, it also works, for example, for a motorcycle in ashes 2063. Is it possible to shut off the immerse for vehicles?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

camper wrote:For mod using vehicles, it also works, for example, for a motorcycle in ashes 2063. Is it possible to shut off the immerse for vehicles?
I have not played any mods that feature vehicles myself. I suppose if I could take a look at the mod in question, I could determine whether or not there is some way for me to have Immerse dynamically detect when the player uses a vehicle for that particular mod, but there is no way for me to create general compatibility for vehicles, as vehicles are not a native feature of the engine and I can't account for the methods any developer might use to implement them.

The shorter simpler answer is: I could possibly patch Immerse for a specific mod's vehicles, but I can't make vehicle compatibility in general.

In other news, Immerse has seen a little bit of development since v1.0.1 and I have decided to make another official release. Nothing too groundbreaking; I've fixed a bug that popped up with respawning and made some small changes to the way Death Tilt works.
camper

Post by camper »

Josh771 wrote: I suppose if I could take a look at the mod in question, I could determine whether or not there is some way for me to have Immerse dynamically detect when the player uses a vehicle for that particular mod, but there is no way for me to create general compatibility for vehicles, as vehicles are not a native feature of the engine and I can't account for the methods any developer might use to implement them.
Thank you. I are mean about this recent release:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47573

Although I don't know, developer wants or not wants to add an the "immerse" to his mod. But I really liked to use the "immerse" for a deeper immersion ( :roll: ) in the game.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Found out about this mod today. Good stuff. Lowers my load order by 1 mod at the very least. The sway option is a weird one. I use it because it's there so why not, but the default intensity is quite high, I halved it and it's manageable now. One thing this is missing is something that Guncaster's tilt code has, and that's when you turn your character there's a sort of swooping tilt involved. If you've played Guncaster and left the options at default this tilt is very strong and apparent. I ended up reducing it's intensity but the effect is cool nonetheless. I also understand that Tilt++ and the code in GC are made by different people. Just sayin', it would be a nice addition. To be honest, I read your description of "Springy Mouselook" and on or off I couldn't tell a difference in game.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Rowsol wrote:Found out about this mod today. Good stuff. Lowers my load order by 1 mod at the very least. The sway option is a weird one. I use it because it's there so why not, but the default intensity is quite high, I halved it and it's manageable now. One thing this is missing is something that Guncaster's tilt code has, and that's when you turn your character there's a sort of swooping tilt involved. If you've played Guncaster and left the options at default this tilt is very strong and apparent. I ended up reducing it's intensity but the effect is cool nonetheless. I also understand that Tilt++ and the code in GC are made by different people. Just sayin', it would be a nice addition. To be honest, I read your description of "Springy Mouselook" and on or off I couldn't tell a difference in game.
I'll have to grab a fresh copy of Guncaster and take a look. I should be able to create a similar effect just from your description, but I want to see it for myself to know what exactly you're describing.

Also, turn on Springy Mouselook and start looking around really quickly. The faster the turn, the more noticeable the resistance.

Also, there's a bit of a bug with Springy Mouselook. If you're going to turn it off mid-game, make sure you don't touch your mouse for a second or so before opening the menu, or you're liable to have a camera that endlessly drifts... heh. I should fix that at some point. Good excuse to nudge the version number.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Now this is what i call great i was always a fan of a leaning mechanic in games great job.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Josh771 wrote:I'll have to grab a fresh copy of Guncaster and take a look. I should be able to create a similar effect just from your description, but I want to see it for myself to know what exactly you're describing.

Also, turn on Springy Mouselook and start looking around really quickly. The faster the turn, the more noticeable the resistance.

Also, there's a bit of a bug with Springy Mouselook. If you're going to turn it off mid-game, make sure you don't touch your mouse for a second or so before opening the menu, or you're liable to have a camera that endlessly drifts... heh. I should fix that at some point. Good excuse to nudge the version number.
I think the effect in question is the mouselookmovetilt, based off of Nash's Tilt++. I'll just post it here to check out. I've noticed similar anomalies when combing camera mutator mods, namely loading mouselookmovetilt with tilt++. Aside from that, there's actually a bug I wanted to mention which pertains to vehicles. There's an issue when using vehicles that change the player height, which causes the firing position to be quite skewed from where the player is aiming. This might also be present in mods that change the player into a separate class, such as when using the demon power-up in High Noon Drifter (though not sure as of this writing). Ultimately, though, this is a wonderful swiss army knife of a camera mutator mod and really sells the immersion.
Attachments
mousemovetilt.wad
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Great job! I very much like how footsteps and camera movement work together. Also it's nice to see RealAim revived. And everything in single package, with lots of configuration options!

I've ported Footsteps BTSX patch to Immerse: here. Working with stepdefs.txt is much easier than with Footsteps' LANGUAGE definitions, thanks to Zombie Killer's tokenizer.

If you are accepting feature requests, here is one: jumping currently looks too rigid compared to running and turning. It may benefit from some up-down camera movement.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

m8f wrote:I've ported Footsteps BTSX patch to Immerse: here. Working with stepdefs.txt is much easier than with Footsteps' LANGUAGE definitions, thanks to Zombie Killer's tokenizer.
I'll have to take a look at that; I'd love to expand Immerse's compatibility with other texture sets.
m8f wrote:If you are accepting feature requests, here is one: jumping currently looks too rigid compared to running and turning. It may benefit from some up-down camera movement.
That's a fantastic idea! I'll have to see what I can come up with. :wink:
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Minor bug-fixing release today! Immerse v1.0.4 addresses issues with camera rolling not resetting properly when the player leans without movement or strafe tilting enabled.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”