[Mini-mod] Mother Demon replacement for the Icon of Sin

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

[Mini-mod] Mother Demon replacement for the Icon of Sin

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

>>>DOWNLOAD LINK<<<

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a fan of the Icon of Sin fight. Sure, they wanted something epic, and terrifying to close off Doom 2, and indeed they created a truly iconic(pun 100% intended) boss battle, but one that, beyond the initial awe it inspires, is in my opinion clunky and gimmicky(in a bad way). I've always wanted to make a simple mod that would just replace the ol' Titan with something a little more straight forward. Just a regular boss enemy like the Cyberdemon, or Mastermind. A simple, big bullet sponge baddie with powerful attacks. But I wanted it to be something unique and refined. I didn't just wanna plunder Realm667 for a Cyberdemon recolor and call it a day, and the monsters that usually get good sprite edits are usually too small to be a boss(for obvious reasons). I wanted something that fit with the vanilla Doom boss aesthetic, but also looked different from everything else(that is, not just an edit of an existing boss). And Cage provided just that when he did a vanilla-looking rendition of the Mother Demon for Doom 64 in Doom 2.

TL;DR: Icon of Sin is wack, so I did a thing that replaces it.

This mod works by replacing the Icon of Sin spawn targets with a spawner that spawns a single Mother Demon per map. I tried to rename the actors, sprites, etc in a way so that it doesn't conflict with anything, so it should be compatible with any mod.

Credits:
-Mod and Decorate script by Horror Movie Guy
-Vanilla-styled Mother Demon sprites by Cage
-Mother Demon sounds by DeXiaZ and Mechadon
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: [Mini-mod] Mother Demon replacement for the Icon of Sin

Post by m8f »

I'm also not a fan of the Icon of Sin, so this replacement mod will be loaded in all my future games :D
The only thing I can suggest is to add the "Tag" property, so some health bar mods will show "Mother Demon" as monster name.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Duly noted. I fixed that just now, so download it again and you should be good. :)
Daniler Trooper Guy

Post by Daniler Trooper Guy »

Spoiler: Q & A
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Nice. I just hope that someone would do a replacement of Map 30 to better facilitate the Mother Demon itself.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Thank you for your hard work!
I also agree that the Mother Demon deserves her own map30, since just dropping her near a dormant Icon of Sin(ironically that's the case with Doom 2016) just looks off.
Maybe a map which is similar to her own map in Doom 64 but larger to fit spawned monsters in it?
Maybe replace the Icon of Sin with a wall designed with the Mother Demon's head?
It might not work with mappacks which stick the Icon of Sin on a pillar or something, but it's worth a try!
Valken

Post by Valken »

The original D2 IoS was naff but the Brutal Doom / Project Brutality version remake was pretty good. So a map30 remake with a scale up the Mother Demon as Redolane said would be freakingly awesome.

It would actually be cool if we make a map31 with Mother Demon after killing the Icon of Sin like an Alien Queen surprise battle after killing the Alien King (from the Dark Horse Comics)... It would scare the hell out of MP players doing ironman coop runs through D2! <evil smile>
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

This is a great idea, but I'm of the opinion it would be better to have a purpose-made map30 as a separate mod to the replacer here. People could then have the choice of a more appropriate map design, or sticking with the traditional one. This is especially the case with a custom mappack, where a replacement map30 might not match the rest of the maps' aesthetics or just lack the normal map30's cooler features.

One answer would be to not stop at one remade map30; you could make one for Doom 2, Evilution, Plutonia, etc. Presumably all that would have to be placed in any such maps would be a single IoS spawn target for the Mother Demon to replace.

What interests me is if it is possible for another mod to use 'replaces' to swap the Mother Demon with another actor; for example a Duke Nukem mod that replaces the Mother Demon with the Cycloid Emperor. I'm sure there are plenty of modders who would jump at the chance to make a mod the uses the normal Doom 2 levels (and thus works with any map pack), but still features an epic final boss fight against a unique Big Bad of their own creation that doesn't show up anywhere else.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

This is perfect for all the weapon/gameplay mods that don't have a proper rocket launcher replacement, i.e. no way to actually defeat the IoS :D
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Tesculpture wrote:This is a great idea, but I'm of the opinion it would be better to have a purpose-made map30 as a separate mod to the replacer here. People could then have the choice of a more appropriate map design, or sticking with the traditional one. This is especially the case with a custom mappack, where a replacement map30 might not match the rest of the maps' aesthetics or just lack the normal map30's cooler features.

One answer would be to not stop at one remade map30; you could make one for Doom 2, Evilution, Plutonia, etc. Presumably all that would have to be placed in any such maps would be a single IoS spawn target for the Mother Demon to replace.
I am indeed planning on adding an optional map specially for the boss, perhaps make it a CVAR. I haven't yet because I'm trying to think of the best way to go about doing that. For example, a mappack that has only 10 maps but ends with an icon of sin(can't think of a single example for this, but it's best to be on the safe side lol), or a UDMF mappack that doesn't use conventional map names(eg. MAP01, MAP02, etc), in both cases it would never reach a MAP30, so it wouldn't load the replacement map. So I'm playing around with ACS until I figure out the least obtuse way to achieve that. Now, about your idea of making a specific final map that fits with certain megawad aesthetics, I actually hadn't thought of that, but it's a great idea and I'll definitely consider it.
Tesculpture wrote:What interests me is if it is possible for another mod to use 'replaces' to swap the Mother Demon with another actor; for example a Duke Nukem mod that replaces the Mother Demon with the Cycloid Emperor. I'm sure there are plenty of modders who would jump at the chance to make a mod the uses the normal Doom 2 levels (and thus works with any map pack), but still features an epic final boss fight against a unique Big Bad of their own creation that doesn't show up anywhere else.
I guess you could just make a monster that replaces my "MotherDemonFinalBoss00" actor, and it should work. On the topic of custom mods though, I'm thinking of maybe adding compability with popular gameplay mods. Like say, if you were playing Guncaster her health would be buffed and she'd have more dangerous attacks, or if you were playing it with Brutal Doom she'd have the fancy effects on her attacks and extra gore on death, or if you're playing Hideous Destructor her attacks would be balanced around the mod's mechanics so you'd die in 10 seconds instead of instantly. Stuff like that.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

For some reason the Mother Demon isn't affected by the "freeze" console command.
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Melodica »

EddieMann wrote:For some reason the Mother Demon isn't affected by the "freeze" console command.
Probably because it has +NOTIMEFREEZE on it. I believe it might be to, yknow, prevent it from being frozen by powerups, wich any gameplay mod may or may not contain, specially since this is ment to be compatible with gameplay mods, mapsets and such.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Wow... Definitely I have to test this one! :o

I just have previewed the file with SLADE tool and looks really good! :thumb:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Brilliant remade design of her. I really love this new enemy! Except she has TONS of health to deal with, but i guess that's reasonable- :P

EDIT: Just remade all of mother demon's SFX cuz why not?
That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Thank You So Much For Making This!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”