[minimod][v0.16] Hellscape Navigator

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.5)

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, looks like there is a bug in v0.5 - the texture definition is empty - like it lacks the compass graphics, so it is invisible. Manually fixing this helps and the compass is visible.

edit:
the empty graphics:
HNCMPRx
HNCMPBx
HN_COMPASS_POINTERx
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.6)

Post by m8f »

Small update (v0.6). Changelog:

- removed Wall Print feature. This was done for several reasons: first, I realized that I don't enjoy drawing stuff, and there was much drawing needed for this feature to be complete. Second, it was not very useful. Signs can fulfill prints' purpose well enough.
- added displaying of locked doors status from a distance. If you look at a door and don't have the corresponding key, red "-" mark is printed on the screen. If you do have a key, green "+" is printed instead. The concept was taken from gameplay preview of Scorn.
- added an option for displaying level name at level start. This has been already done a thousand times before, but why the hell not.
- slightly better code and graphics structure.
m8f

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.7)

Post by m8f »

Another small update (v0.7). Changelog:
- fix: removed Wall Print leftovers. This makes Hellscape Navigator ACS-free;
- added an option to place map info text separately from Compass;
- added an option to reveal map on level start, and to give Scanner on map revealing (separate options for level start and explored map).

P.S. Just found that development of Map Cheater is stopped because of me. I have no idea why.
ramon.dexter

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.7)

Post by ramon.dexter »

While importing the 0.7 into SoA, found a simple bug in gzdb:

Code: Select all

TEXTURES error in "SOA-BASE_v2.pk3\TEXTURES.txt", line 26624. Long texture names must be quoted. See "hn_compass_ribbon_transparent".
Just to let you know ;)

edit: Supersweet! The independent positioning of the mapinfo name is perfect, now it fits like a glove! :D
m8f

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.8)

Post by m8f »

Small update (v0.8). New stuff:
- Automap: hold key;
- Entryway Translocator: a device that carries you to the start of the map. Optional. Options include amount of Translocators given at level start, and the amount of Translocators given when the map is explored enough.

Fixes:
- quoted long texture names;
- fixed crash when quest pointer is removed.
m8f

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.9)

Post by m8f »

Update (v0.9). Changes:

- Added colored key messages for Hexen (not too much colors, though);
- Added Space Tunneling Device (temporary noclip). There are options to give it on level start and/or when the map is explored;
- Added Use automap mark. Bind the key in Customize Controls, and a "x" mark will appear on automap for each use. Useful for displaying what switches has been activated and what has been not, for example.
m8f

Re: [WIP] Hellscape Navigator (v0.10)

Post by m8f »

Update (v0.10). Changes:

- fixed: added Use and Mark control to Navigator options menu (previously the control was present only in GZDoom Customize Controls);
- fixed: crash on second usage of Space Tunneling Device (while the first device's effect still lasts);
- fixed: missing item inventory icons;

- new feature: Auto Use (disabled by default). Turn it on in "Gameplay and Extra" submenu, so you don't have to press Use to open doors and flip switches!
m8f

Re: [minimod][v0.11] Hellscape Navigator

Post by m8f »

Small update (v0.11). Changes:

- fixed: broken settings for Entryway Translocator and Space Tunneling Device give amounts;
- tuned Auto use a bit;
- added Show Speed feature (Speedometer).

Now, when a speedometer is added to Navigator, I would like to know why I did this and what are the use cases for a speedometer.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Would it be possible to make sectors/walls/linedefs flash red when they trigger an exit? The area names on the compass help, but I still occasionally trigger exits by mistake if I fail to notice the message.

Otherwise, great mod! Most of your minimods have found their way to my default load order.
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Re: [minimod][v0.11.1] Hellscape Navigator

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Great job as always, m8f! But I must ask: Will there be an option to scale up/down the Navigator's speedometer, as well as reposition it? With the current font in use, it's a bit on the large side, and gets in the way of Tekish's CrosshairHP addon.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Cyanide wrote:Would it be possible to make sectors/walls/linedefs flash red when they trigger an exit?
I'll consider adding this in the future, if I find out how to do this.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:But I must ask: Will there be an option to scale up/down the Navigator's speedometer, s well as reposition it?
No problem, I'll do it in the next version, but on one condition: you tell me the purpose of the speedometer :D

Thanks for the suggestions!
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Nice set of tools. I was hoping these would work on Zandronum for Multiplayer purposes but its alright. The only thing I don't get is, whats the scanner is suppose to be and what does it do?

Suggestions:

- Separate the in-game automap with a navigator map specific to your tools. I was thinking something like
https://www.moddb.com/mods/carnivores-c ... p-image-35
- Option for Circular compass at the bottom right

New ideas:

- The Wind Indicator: indicates which way the wind is blowing. This determines the likelihood of an enemy detecting you by scent. If the wind is blowing towards you, your scent is being blown away from the target and you will be less likely to be detected; on the other hand, if the wind is blowing away from you, your scent is being carried directly to the enemy so it will sense you more easily. The Wind Indicator also indicates the strength of the wind.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Kagur wrote:Nice set of tools. I was hoping these would work on Zandronum for Multiplayer purposes but its alright.
While it isn't possible to make Hellscape Navigator work in Zandronum, I probably may make it work in multiplayer if there is a demand for this and there are willing testers. It is not very comfortable to test multiplayer stuff alone.
Kagur wrote:The only thing I don't get is, whats the scanner is suppose to be and what does it do?
The scanner is this. I just now noticed that I forgot to mention that it works only in conjunction with map revealing.
Kagur wrote:Separate the in-game automap with a navigator map specific to your tools.
For in-game automap, take a look at SwitchTracker or Doom Delta. I think a textured in-game automap is either outright impossible, or will have huge performance impact.
Kagur wrote:Option for Circular compass at the bottom right
Sorry, I do not plan to do this.
Kagur wrote:The Wind
That's some game mechanics I haven't heard of in Doom-related games. Even if it exists in some GZDoom-based game or TC, I don't like working on something that will not be usable in most games/mods.
GeneralDelphox

Post by GeneralDelphox »

I wonder if you could make the compass show enemy positions, and maybe even keycard positions.
affandede

Post by affandede »

Does this show the locations of keys, like in Guncaster?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”