Rebel Rumble V.1.8: Honey i forgot to Update

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Rebel Rumble V.1: Fine to be Radically Retro

Post by Captain J »

m8f wrote:May I suggest adding Tag properties to enemies? So health bar mods like JP HUD mod-friendly or Target Spy could show proper enemy names?
You mean like the Name Tag that shows the name of the weapon when selected?
Gorec wrote:
Captain J wrote:Thank you for playing, and please do look for the tips at the 1st post. It'll help you to beat the level.
no i meant in the metal slug itself :D
also i noticed 2 bugs so far
1.when u die with other weapon u will play the animation of dropping it
2.guard boiiii can be autoaimed
u can cancel super weapon by dropping anything except ur starting gun
I think i can answer all of your questions;

1. Kinda intentional. Just like the Characters of Contra series, losing the current weapon upon death.

2. I already noticed such glitches. It turns out autoaim also aims at the civilians as well. Although turning autoaim on is not recommended.

3. Fixed, updated and freshly uploaded. Thanks for the useful feedback!
mentha

Post by mentha »

Captain J wrote:Oh, that's new. Thank you for pointing that out. Sadly i have no idea how do i make weapons automatically selected when picked up. I guess i should add this to the Tip list.
you might try asking kinsie? i remember he had a similar issue in his metadoom mod regarding leashing the doggies.

EDIT: kinsie fixed it in the 1.1 patch!

also what is revoltte's melee weapon? it looks almost like a... tactical golf club??

uh, i'm also having trouble dying at all as resisto for some reason. he takes damage, he makes the owie noise, he goes invincible... then when he gets hit again, even if i haven't picked up any bonuses at all or killed anything, he just does that again.

gzdoom version 3.4.1

the gibs and sound are really cool.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

mentha wrote:you might try asking kinsie? i remember he had a similar issue in his metadoom mod regarding leashing the doggies.
Already asked and fixed!
also what is revoltte's melee weapon? it looks almost like a... tactical golf club??
Something unnecessarily Futuristic.
uh, i'm also having trouble dying at all as resisto for some reason. he takes damage, he makes the owie noise, he goes invincible... then when he gets hit again, even if i haven't picked up any bonuses at all or killed anything, he just does that again.
Ooooh that's some serious problem... Thanks for pointing this one out. I have fixed it, but i'm still unsure because sometimes he doesn't die after taking another hit. But ow well, as long as it works.

You helped me big time. Thank you so much and hence, i have updated the mod again. Re-Download again, thanks!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

As a SHMUP die-hard player, this caught my curiosity.
Total Carnage? I LOVE IT!
Smash TV? I'd buy that for a dollar!
Raiden? THE FINEST!

I might check it out later, but I have more ideas for SHMUP stuff to include in future updates:
Darius sound effects and gunfire sprites
the game-start theme from Galaga
anything from Ikari Warriors
and Twinbee for an easter egg(unless there's already one?)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Those are nice suggestions, i have to admit. And as a shmup mania as myself, thank you so much for playing!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Captain J wrote:Those are nice suggestions, i have to admit. And as a shmup mania as myself, thank you so much for playing!
You're welcome. i'll give my impression once i'll have time to try it!
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

On one hand the amount of effort in this is amazing, and it's really fun to play to say the least.
On the other hand, taking a stray bullet in the back in the midst of a chaotic gunfight is suffering, seeing as SHMUPs give you situational awareness by seeing the whole screen compared to an FPS format. It's why the Contra Doom mod was obscenely hard as well. I wouldn't really have any suggestions for remedying that though, and i'm a glutton for punishment by playing Revoltee anyway.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Thanks, and yes, some enemies shooting you in the back can be really awful and freaky. So i'm considering to put some attack-preparation sounds for each enemies, to make you aware that they are shooting at you behind.

And playing as revoltte can be frustrating at times. I probably should add more advantages to her.
Captain J

Re: Rebel Rumble V.1.5: Fine to be Radically Retro

Post by Captain J »

Aaaand so i did it. Updated the mod a lot; The Vioborgs will play warning sounds before firing, you cannot thankfully die/damaged when activating the Super Move, Revoltte is now slightly more faster, can jump higher, and her Powered Melee attack will give her the temp invincibility.

So yeah, that's about it. Thanks again, for your priceless feedback extra!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Alright, I gave it quite a long round in vanilla Doom 2, and while I enjoyed the heck out of it(and i'll explain why), I think it's far from being completed, in terms of content.
Let's start with the good stuff:

HOLY SHIT THE SOUND DECISIONS IS JUST WONDERFUL! It really makes you feel like you're inside a twin-stick shooter in first-person view, and very loyal to the aesthetic of Smash TV.
Monsters might look completely original at first, but I did realize their inspired behavior from other enemies in Total Carnage. It's a nice touch only if you played that game.
I also found a few easter eggs which made me grin.

The only thing which i fit between the pros and cons is the difficulty concept. Yes, the whole thing with removing the life system is essential for SHMUPs, and that's why this mod would be impossible to play with in slaughter maps like latter maps of Sunlust or even Slaughterfest 2012. HOWEVER, it's great for limited-mapping projects such as 50 Monsters and similar.

Now, about the issues i have with it:
Some character models lack polish in their design. I know that it's supposed to be a sketchy artstyle, but it looks a bit out of place in doom maps(I also give that sort of criticism for any mod which uses this artstyle)
Now personally, i think there should be more gameplay gimmicks, because for the whole playthrough, i haven't got a single occurrence where the traditional Bomb power was effective(i did check your notes). I might be missing something, but the whole purpose of the traditional Bomb power is to destroy everything(excluding bosses) on screen.
I did notice the lack of taunts for this mod. I love both characters and i'd love to hear some one-liners from them. If it's about limitation from the original games, how about recruiting someone to voice them?
And lastly, while it's not too much of an issue, i'd love to see more references from other SHMUPs, or even fan-made SHMUPs like Touhou(won't mind it for only a easter egg).

Overall? it has great potential, and i love the concept to death, but there's still more stuff to do before it'll feel complete.

Also in general, if you need more people for suggestions and ideas for the mod, you can ask me anything on discord :D
(also because i want more SHMUP buddies :P)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Very well detailed feedback there. Much appreciated for rich words and i feel proud that i have finished this mod anyhow! And yeah, the difficulty and graphic of this game is lame, probably shows what i can do best. Also the enemies will give you the weapons and item plenty enough, and you can change the difficulty, too.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Captain J wrote:Very well detailed feedback there. Much appreciated for rich words and i feel proud that i have finished this mod anyhow! And yeah, the difficulty and graphic of this game is lame, probably shows what i can do best. Also the enemies will give you the weapons and item plenty enough, and you can change the difficulty, too.
You can take your time for polishing and adding more stuff! The mod itself is finished, but I really don't want it to be abandoned.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

This is everything the original Action Doom should have been.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh my goodness, Scuba Steve!!!! What an honour really!! This is so amazing, and i'd like to thank you for making Action Doom, it was also one of the inspiration of this mod, after all!
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: Rebel Rumble V.1.5: Fine to be Radically Retro

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

There seems to be a duplicated footsteps, when in critical state, not sure if intentional or not, but I thought, I would share this, just to be sure: https://my.mixtape.moe/aypfkq.mkv

Return to “Gameplay Mods”