Use To Pickup

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Use To Pickup

Post by ramon.dexter »

argv wrote: I forgot to check if a line in the way is one-sided! Whoops. Pushed out a fix.
Now it's wonderful :D Great, many thanks! :wub:
argv

Post by argv »

Quick update! I fixed the bug where you couldn't pick up some items unless you turned the mod off, fixed several other bugs, and did some performance optimizations.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, can you please merge the source code into ONE file? It is really troubling to have bazilion of files for just one functinality...

I know it is better for you te have multiple files. But hey, I have one source file for every new functionality. This would mean I would require like 11 files for just one functionality? This is little bit insane.

Also, if I could insist, move the bracket.svg into /graphics/usetopickup. There is really no need to have separate folder for just one graphic file, while we have the graphics folder, suited for such purposes. The zscript files could be moved into /zscript/usetopickup/ folder.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Dumping everything into a single file would definitely make things harder to maintain for argv. Plus looking at the source hierarchy, it looks much tidier, more organized and easier to work with multiple files. Personally I would not even consider jamming all of that code into 1 file!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yeah, nevermind. I just was little bit suprised that I had one file and now I have seven files. :)
argv

Post by argv »

Images put under “graphics” may conflict with other mods (specifically, any other mod that has a graphic named “BRACKET”), regardless of subfolder structure (another mod's “graphics/othermod/bracket.png” would conflict with my “graphics/usetopickup/bracket.png”, despite the different subfolders). I put it in a different folder in order to avoid that possibility.

The code was in one file until recently. I split it out because it was getting unmanageable. I could revert, but I'd really rather not. Why is it an issue for you? Are they not organized under the “gzdoom-use-to-pickup” folder anyway?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

argv wrote:Images put under “graphics” may conflict with other mods (specifically, any other mod that has a graphic named “BRACKET”), regardless of subfolder structure (another mod's “graphics/othermod/bracket.png” would conflict with my “graphics/usetopickup/bracket.png”, despite the different subfolders). I put it in a different folder in order to avoid that possibility.
This is very incorrect. Yes, it'll conflict if you use 8 character names, but you could just as well use the full path, in which case the only way to replace the graphic would be to have a graphic with the same exact name, path and extension.
argv

Post by argv »

phantombeta wrote:This is very incorrect. Yes, it'll conflict if you use 8 character names, but you could just as well use the full path, in which case the only way to replace the graphic would be to have a graphic with the same exact name, path and extension.
It'll also conflict if someone else uses 8 character names. I'm trying to avoid stepping on anyone's toes here.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

This is really sweet, i'm using it for a thing i was working on.
Quick question, is there any way i can increase the player's pickup range?
I used to modify this line

Code: Select all

if (distTo > PlayerPawn(viewer).UseRange)
to this

if (distTo > PlayerPawn(viewer).UseRange + 32)
But now that i've updated it to the last version, i can't find it anymore
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Hey! I really love this nifty little mod you've got here; I was hoping to ask about one little tiny feature possibility.

Could you make the "<Key> Pickup" prompt optional? I'd love to just have the brackets and item tag visible.

EDIT: Also, when making my own UseToPickup.ini file, do literal tags need to be in double quotes? Like tag="Item Name"?
Sh4d0wS14d3

Post by Sh4d0wS14d3 »

I've been screwing around with this myself, and as fun as it was to make my own INI for Guncaster and the like, I was wondering:

Is there a way to allow auto-pickup of items on a condition? Like the player HP being less than 50, or having none of a particular ammo.
camper

Post by camper »

Great modification. I started with several mods at once and found that I can throw fists from the inventory (lol)
::Bloodfury::
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ::Bloodfury:: »

Batandy wrote:This is really sweet, i'm using it for a thing i was working on.
Quick question, is there any way i can increase the player's pickup range?
I used to modify this line

if (distTo > PlayerPawn(viewer).UseRange)
to this

if (distTo > PlayerPawn(viewer).UseRange + 32)
But now that i've updated it to the last version, i can't find it anymore
I would also be interested to have a possibility to increase pickup distance.
On it's current state, you have to be very close to the item. And during intense
moments, it can be annoying or fatal because you cannot pick multiple items in
a haste. like row of clips etc.

An option to customize the item description text position would be nice to.
both lines centered.

Or just an option that displays "Use to pickup" string under the item name, instead of showing keybinded infos.

Nevertheless, outstanding work! :)
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I'm either getting something wrong about this mod or it's not working for me...whatever I do it still picks up items normally without any prompts or such :?

edit: nevermind, I restarted and (somehow) it works now :P
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Could you make the AlwaysTouchPickup scan toggleable in a future update? Right now I set the scan frequency to an absurd high number like 126000 (one hour) if I don't want it, but every time I restart it gets set to 10.

Also, I'd like the option to prevent the player from grabbing items through fences or other linedefs which block movement.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”