Slayer's Rampage — v1.9c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Slayer's Rampage — v1.9c

Postby Endie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Well here it is, a update again!

Spoiler:

So, serious talk now, i'm almost on v2.0, and now more than ever i'd like some feedback to make the 2.0 release something flawless gameplay-wise, so, please please, if you have anything to recommend, feedback to give, anything, now it's the time

It's been so good to work on this, and i'm finally getting happy with my results, but i still feel like there's room for improvement

Thanks to all of you who have been supporting this. Without you guys i would never come this far :mrgreen:
Endie
I'm doing what i love. Doesn't mean i'm good at it though

Discord: 「Moa Dixøn」#4254
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Twitchy2019 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:00 pm

Endie wrote:Well here it is, a update again!

Spoiler:

So, serious talk now, i'm almost on v2.0, and now more than ever i'd like some feedback to make the 2.0 release something flawless gameplay-wise, so, please please, if you have anything to recommend, feedback to give, anything, now it's the time

It's been so good to work on this, and i'm finally getting happy with my results, but i still feel like there's room for improvement

Thanks to all of you who have been supporting this. Without you guys i would never come this far :mrgreen:

Good mod. Great in every sense of execution. One thing I would like to see, even if it goes into an experimental branch, is mod sprites that are Doom Eternal in theme. Here is a set worked on by Sgt. Shivers and his crew. Was wondering if you could incorporate them for 2.0.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=67971
Twitchy2019

Postby jablon1000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am

@Twitchy2019

This mod dont require better sprites imo. Maybe balista instead gauss cannon, i never liked look of 2016 gauss. Some polish to pistol sprite would be nice, because it dont look like energy weapon.

@Endie

1. Please make option/addon/whatever to restore old hud. I dont like custom crosshairs to much. Also some solid work here is also necessary, some crosshairs are small other ones is too big, other have unnecesary elements etc. You should keep it simple, and make em more "informative" than "cool looking" i think. Doom EXP have v. good custom crosshairs system, i think you should take inspiration from it.
2. Better hook on ssg. Its not bad, but it can be better. Also Doom EXP have superb grappling hook system. I think it should give player more momentum, and stun enemies. Also freezing player (when shooting hook) will reduce ammount of weird looking situations.
3. As i mention in discord rocket launcher feels to powerful for me.

Mod is pretty complete. It had good flow, shooting is good, melee is good, monsters are good... Good work.
jablon1000

Postby Endie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 pm

ah, yes, regarding the HUD, i have a work in progress add-on to bring back the old HUD. i said it earlier, i was planning to start it after i finished the mod itself, however since i don't want to add any new weapons or HUD features, i don't see why wait any longer.

Thanks for the input about the SSG, i will work on it. the idea of freezing the player while using the Hook is good, this should be enough to prevent umm like you said, "weird looking" situations
Endie

Postby Endie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:57 pm

there it is, a Old HUD add-on!
Load in ZDL AFTER Slayer's Rampage.
Endie

Postby ToxicMasculinity » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Thank you very much for the old HUD addon, much appreciated. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got it back. I just have 2 minor nitpicks with the addon though if you're up for it.
- Could you possibly reposition the key icons so that they are off to the sides of the screen similar to the current HUD?
- Is there any chance you could also have the dash icon be replaced back to it's old red style? If that's not even technically part of the HUD and would require you making another addon, then just pretend I didn't even bring that up.

Also, thank you for fixing the Raven-45 sprites too so that the red iron sights no longer show up when switching to or from the weapon. It was subtle, but since I knew it was there, I couldn't help but stare at it every time I switched to or from it.

As for feedback (mostly opinions):
- With all due respect, I do not like the Colt pistol the way it is now. The weapon works really good and all, but I much more preferred how it was prior to this update when it shot regular old bullets, had orange gunfire, and used a burst as it's alt fire, not it's primary. It was perfect in looks, sound, and efficiency for what it was. I understand it's now setup to work like the D2K16 pistol, but I'm not sure why. Like I said, it was already perfect, and most importantly, it was different the rest of the pistols out there which made it stand out and be a lot more memorable, which is not easy for a standard pistol to do. That's just my opinion though.

- The Colt appears to be energy based now, but it still drops bullet casings like it always has when it fires. I think it's trying to agree with me about going back to it's roots lol. Just playing

- I agree with everything Jablon1000 stated in their post, especially about tweaking the SSG Hook mechanics. Also, if you ever do find better sprites to use for the chain, I definitely recommend doing so. The current chain is smooth in animation and works just fine, but the look of it clashes with everything else. It doesn't look bad at all, it just looks different. Like a vector graphic in a sea of rasterized pixels.

That's it from me for now, but only because I haven't had a chance to give it proper testing just yet. I will in the next day or 2 though, and will post more if I come up with anything.
ToxicMasculinity

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods