Slayer's Rampage — v1.9c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Slayer's Rampage — v1.7

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Thank you very much, this is a great update! Just like Crudox Cruo stated above, this is my all time favorite mod as well, or at least tied with a few others. You really have done (are doing) an outstanding job with this mod. Based off of the recent update, here is some feedback. Purely cosmetic and gameplay based, no bugs or anything like that.

- new HUD looks great, and I'm sure most would prefer it, but I personally preferred the old HUD colors/text. Could you possibly make a patch to allow the old HUD style, or add an ingame option to switch between them? If not, I'll live. I just really liked the all red, it fit the mod really well imo.

- Super Shotgun alt fire should not be able to be held down (auto fire both shots). It kind of defeats the purpose of it, especially since the delay between the 2 shots is almost non existent. If it can be auto held, maybe just increase the delay between the 2 shots.

- it might just be me, but when firing while ADSing with the Raven-45 assault rifle, the actual gunfire sprites (the orange fire) seem to be a little too low. When standard shooting (hipfiring), the barrel seems to be right under the iron sights, but when you're zoomed in the barrel seems to be much lower than the iron sights
Spoiler:
- the Raven-45 has no red dot iron sights on the front of the gun when it's selected, but when you switch weapons, 2 red dot sights appear on the gun right before switching to a different weapon. I'm pretty sure your intention was to have no front red dot sights on that gun, and if that's the case, I agree with you.
Example
Spoiler:
- this is just nitpicky, but with the magnum alternate fire (which I absolutely love that you added), the hand or fingers look a little small. I'm only mentioning it, because the rest of the sprites in the entire mod look perfect, and that new hand just stands out amongst the rest. It honestly is not a big deal whatsoever. Just throwing it out there.

- the new Gauss Cannon alternate fire is much better and looks awesome. I think it should just take a little longer (at least 3 seconds) to charge up since it's so devastating.

- The Heavy Enforcer's firing rate seems almost identical to the Mobile Turret's (which is fine), but maybe it might be better to have the Heavy Enforcer shoot at half it's current firing rate, but with increased damage to accomodate, which would suit the name "Heavy Enforcer" even better. That would make more of a difference between the two weapons gameplay, other than their alt fires.

- I noticed all the bullet based guns show ammo casings being ejected after shooting except for the Revolver and Penetrator. Do you plan on adding that to those 2 weapons as well? That'd be pretty cool if you did. ;)

- Not important at all, but maybe lower the dash icon a little more, or place it at the top left instead. It looks a little better imo.
Example
Spoiler:
Anyways, that's all from me. Like I said, I absolutely love the hell out of this mod. I replayed Eviternity with it recently, and it was one of the best Doom experiences I've ever had. If anyone has not yet tried this mod, you are truly missing out to say the least. Good luck with future updates, and if you completely disregard all of what I said, except for the red iron sights issue, that's totally fine. It's still an all out masterpiece.
Endie

Re: Slayer's Rampage — v1.8

Post by Endie »

ToxicMasculinity wrote:[...] Anyways, that's all from me. Like I said, I absolutely love the hell out of this mod. I replayed Eviternity with it recently, and it was one of the best Doom experiences I've ever had. If anyone has not yet tried this mod, you are truly missing out to say the least. Good luck with future updates, and if you completely disregard all of what I said, except for the red iron sights issue, that's totally fine. It's still an all out masterpiece.
Thank you fr the feedback! i'm saving these for the final touch-ups in the upcoming builds :D

btw, updated! the link in the 1st page should be working!
Spoiler: Changelog
ToxicMasculinity

Sounds good about saving the feedback I left for the final touch-ups. Glad I could offer some help. I love the new update as well. It just keeps getting better and better which is hard to believe because it's already so damn good imo.

Good:
- Love the new "Sentinels Death" rocket launcher. That thing is a fricken beast.

- Really glad you changed the placement of the keys, as they did tend to cover up the middle of the screen.

- The new Colt M2911 colors and edits look great, and are a big improvement over the previous style.

- even though you didn't mention it, I noticed that you made it so that the SS alt fire can't be held down anymore. Thank you for fixing that, much appreciated.

Bad:
- for some reason, the Plasma Rifle pickup sprite seems to be off. In the example below, the plasma rifle pickup is supposed to be on top of the pillar in the middle of the room, but with Slayers Rampage, the pickup appears to be on the ground, but is still actually on top of the pedastal and can't be picked up from the ground where the sprite appears. It's also the wrong sprite for a weapon pickup.

Here is an example of what I mean, this is E304 of Eviternity with Slayers Rampage:

Here is that same room without Slayers Rampage:

Cosmetic:
If you do eventually make a patch to allow the old HUD colors/style, could you also add an option to have the old Rage Meter colors as well? I liked it more when the empty meter was mostly black, and filled up with red. It was a lot easier to tell how full the meter was compared to it always being red now, but filling with a brighter red. Either that, or possibly just dim the red empty meter some more so it's even more obvious when it is filling up.
rockethero1

Post by rockethero1 »

This might just be a personal thing, but the new Micro Missiles feel kind of underpowered compared to the previous rocket launcher on the Heavy enforcer. They dont feel very worth it in return for how much explosive ammunition it uses.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

rockethero1 wrote:This might just be a personal thing, but the new Micro Missiles feel kind of underpowered compared to the previous rocket launcher on the Heavy enforcer. They dont feel very worth it in return for how much explosive ammunition it uses.
I was going to mention that as well. My suggestion would be buffing the Micro Missiles AND have them cost 3 bullets per missile.
Also, Sentinel's Death Launcher's secondary-fire is also underpowered because it costs 5 rockets & it deals way less damage than
the primary fire, so you are basically wasting rockets using secondary-fire. I would buff the secondary-fire of that weapon as well.
Make that secondary-fire only fire three homing rockets & make them slightly weaker than da primary-fire for damage per ammo.
Endie

Re: Slayer's Rampage — v1.9a

Post by Endie »

OK guys, first of all, thanks for the feedback and support! this feedback has been helping me to improve the mod quite a lot lately, and i couldn't do it without you guys -- both around here and in my Discord server

Having said that;
ToxicMasculinity wrote: Bad:
- for some reason, the Plasma Rifle pickup sprite seems to be off. In the example below, the plasma rifle pickup is supposed to be on top of the pillar in the middle of the room, but with Slayers Rampage, the pickup appears to be on the ground, but is still actually on top of the pedastal and can't be picked up from the ground where the sprite appears. It's also the wrong sprite for a weapon pickup.

Here is an example of what I mean, this is E304 of Eviternity with Slayers Rampage:
Spoiler:
Here is that same room without Slayers Rampage:
Spoiler:
Hmm, that's interesting, but i don't think it's Slayer's Rampage fault, i tested the pickup several times in other mapsets and on Vanilla Doom, and they are fine on my end
ToxicMasculinity wrote: Cosmetic:
If you do eventually make a patch to allow the old HUD colors/style, could you also add an option to have the old Rage Meter colors as well? I liked it more when the empty meter was mostly black, and filled up with red. It was a lot easier to tell how full the meter was compared to it always being red now, but filling with a brighter red. Either that, or possibly just dim the red empty meter some more so it's even more obvious when it is filling up.
Well, i don't see why not. But for now i plan to finish the mod for real, before making add-ons, if i make a add-on though, i will leave a link to download in the first page
rockethero1 wrote:This might just be a personal thing, but the new Micro Missiles feel kind of underpowered compared to the previous rocket launcher on the Heavy enforcer. They dont feel very worth it in return for how much explosive ammunition it uses.
Dawn111 wrote:I was going to mention that as well.
Well i tweaked the micro missiles now, they are perfect for cleaning small rooms of enemies without having to worry about Splash Damage., which brings me to my next topic

I updated the mod! the download link in the first page should be working!!
Spoiler:
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Oh nice update!

Thank you for doing the alt-fire on the shotgun and Gauss rifle properly. They feel perfectly identical to their real counterparts input wise now.
ToxicMasculinity

Endie wrote: Hmm, that's interesting, but i don't think it's Slayer's Rampage fault, i tested the pickup several times in other mapsets and on Vanilla Doom, and they are fine on my end
Damn. That is strange. I guess maybe it just might be that way when used with Eviternity. I haven't tested the past 2 S.R. updates with any other map sets other than Eviternity, so that could be it, and if so, not a big deal. If it was like that when you tested it with other maps, then it would be an issue, but since you said it was fine, then it doesn't really matter at all. Thanks for clearing that up too btw.
Endie wrote: Well, i don't see why not. But for now i plan to finish the mod for real, before making add-ons, if i make a add-on though, i will leave a link to download in the first page
Sounds good man, and I totally agree that focusing on getting your mod into a final state should definitely be your main priority.

With that stuff said, I have been waiting for this update like a bloodhound and checking daily. Really excited to try this update out. I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything else or have any ideas that might be worth your time. Thanks again for such a great mod, especially during these crazy times. Makes things feel a little normal again.
Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endie

Post by Endie »

Well just a quick note, about two bugs i want to say i'm aware of (and i already fixed them on my end!)

Fixed the misaligned crosshairs, AND the H.A.R infinite ammo glitch. I'm saying this just in case of anyone wanting to report those. For now though, that's all i noticed for now, so, if you come across any other error please let me know

that's all for now :)
ToxicMasculinity

Okay, thanks for the heads up because I was going to mention those. These next 3 aren't bugs, just some more feedback

- The red iron sights still appear on the Raven-45 when switching to it or from it as I mentioned earlier.

- The new widescreen HUD looks really good, but I really miss the old visor sprites. Those looked awesome and were a nice touch that made the mod stand out more and be instantly recognizable. Please consider adding an option in the future to turn them on/off for those of us that have a preference.

- The new custom crosshairs are really cool and are a nice touch as well, but again, could you consider adding an option in the future to disable them if we want? Also, not major at all, but with the Heavy Enforcer, the grey sides of the custom crosshair look like they are part of the actual weapon. Almost as if they are it's iron sights and not part of the actual crosshair. Like I side, not major whatsoever, just mentioning it for your consideration.

I know I said I'd stop with the requests, and the HUD Visor and custom crosshair enable/disable options are my last 2, and the only ones I hope you actually fulfill. I won't ask about them or bring them up again though, promise.

Aside from what I mentioned above, the mod is damn near perfect to say the least. The new changes and additions are awesome, and the weapons feel completely on point now. I kind of miss the more challenging Pinkies, and I personally loved how the Shotgun guys would roll a lot, but to each his own. It made it feel like I was playing against Gears of War enemies that had actual intelligence and a will to live, but if people complained about them, I don't blame you for toning them down.

This might be a dumb question, but what do you type in the console to spawn a Plasma Rifle pickup? I'm curious what causes the PR sprite issue when used with Eviternity that I mentioned earlier, and want to do some testing myself to see if I can figure it out. Being locked in my house, I have nothing but time.
Endie

Post by Endie »

You can use "Summon DBPlasmaGenerator", i will test that myself once i get some time too
ToxicMasculinity

Well, this is weird, but I just tested Eviternity again with the new SR update, and the Plasma Rifle sprite issue is no longer present and everything is now working perfectly. I'm not sure what caused it on the previous update, but whatever it was is now fixed. Just wanted to let you know.
Endie

Re: Slayer's Rampage — v1.9b

Post by Endie »

Okay so, tiny update to fix the crosshairs. Also i updated the Gauss Cannon sprites, there's a few things i need to mention too
ToxicMasculinity wrote:- The new widescreen HUD looks really good, but I really miss the old visor sprites. Those looked awesome and were a nice touch that made the mod stand out more and be instantly recognizable. Please consider adding an option in the future to turn them on/off for those of us that have a preference.

- The new custom crosshairs are really cool and are a nice touch as well, but again, could you consider adding an option in the future to disable them if we want? Also, not major at all, but with the Heavy Enforcer, the grey sides of the custom crosshair look like they are part of the actual weapon. Almost as if they are it's iron sights and not part of the actual crosshair. Like I side, not major whatsoever, just mentioning it for your consideration.
So, about that, you can in fact disable the new crosshairs by using the Fullscreen HUD, in GZDoom options (Display Options > Screen Size), and yes, as i said, i will do a Old HUD add-on since some people on my server also liked the old design

Anyways, thanks for the input!

Edit: ALSO fixed the H.A.R infinite ammo glitch
ToxicMasculinity

Holy crap I'm stupid, I didn't even know you could adjust the screen size aside from the resolution settings. I never even bothered to look. Sorry about that, and thank you for explaining how to do it, which did work just as you said. The only downside is that it removes the names of the weapons too unfortunately, so...it is what it is.

Thanks for another update as well. It's nice seeing this mod being updated more frequently lately. That's at least one good thing that's come from all of us being locked up.
kadkad14

Post by kadkad14 »

This mod is so cool.
I lost the sense of time while playing. It's very addictive.
Thank you for this mod.

I have a suggestion:
Can you make ammo scarce like in doom eternal?
So players will be forced to use various weapons.
I completed KDITD with shotgun rarely using any other weapon.
Also, it will force players to engage in a close combat in order to get ammo.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”