Hotkeys Galore!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tesculpture

Hotkeys Galore!

Post by Tesculpture »

I don't know if there is any market for this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to put it out there.

While I thoroughly enjoy TerminusEst13's High Noon Drifter mod, I became frustrated that I often had to go rummaging through my inventory whenever I wanted to use the Caltrops item - a tool that demands split-second timing for it's full usefulness to be realized.

Deciding to do something about it, I made a simple KEYCONF edit that allowed me to assign a hotkey to not just Caltrops, but every usable inventory item in the mod, allowing me to use them all in the blink of an eye - at which point I thought, "why stop at High Noon Drifter?"

The end result is several mini-mods, that can add inventory item hotkeys to several mods (in their current versions at time of writing), as well as vanilla Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. Just chuck the appropriate mini-mod after whatever it's intended for in the load order, and they should appear in the regular keybinds menu. No defaults have been set, so you can specify as many or as few as you want.
Spoiler: screenshots
Note/Bugs:
In Hexen, using the method I have done, it isn't possible to create a hotkey for the flechettes, due to each classes' flechette technically being a wholly different item, thus a hotkey for one will not work for the others.
In Trailblazer, the only blueprint items that have hotkeys are the ones that remain in your inventory permanently after acquisition - the others are only ever going to be used once during a playthrough so there didn't seem much point.
Other than that, I think I got all the usable inventory items for each game/mod; I apologize if any are missing.

>>>Heretic<<<
>>>Hexen<<<
>>>Strife<<<
>>>High Noon Drifter<<<
>>>Doom RogueLike Arsenal<<<
>>>La Tailor Girl<<<
>>>Russian Overkill<<<
>>>Guncaster<<<
>>>Trailblazer<<<
Last edited by Tesculpture on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Hotkeys Galore!

Post by Zhs2 »

Tesculpture wrote:it isn't possible to create a hotkey for the flechettes
[wiki=CCMDs:Control#useflechette]There's actually a Hexen flechette command already, as a native engine feature.[/wiki]
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Zhs2 wrote:
Tesculpture wrote:it isn't possible to create a hotkey for the flechettes
[wiki=CCMDs:Control#useflechette]There's actually a Hexen flechette command already, as a native engine feature.[/wiki]
In fact, ZDoom automatically binds this command to your 0 key - in fact in fact, every number key past the first four starts bound to certain artifacts.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Definitely a useful mod for people who won't want to figure out the internal item names to bind them through the console but some of these may be considered as potential additions to their respective mods, unless they prefer certain items to be kept a secret.
Arctangent wrote:In fact, ZDoom automatically binds this command to your 0 key - in fact in fact, every number key past the first four starts bound to certain artifacts.
Indeed. Something that annoyed me to no end in vanilla since Icon of the Defender is easy to trigger by accident. Also having \ and 0 for Quartz Flask and Flechette isn't very convenient even with the default keyboard layout.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”