IDCLEVer Starter, Armament Tuning, Laser Sight, m_Gizmos

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [minimods] IDCLEVer Starter, Armament Tuning, Laser Sigh

Post by Turin Turambar »

Thanks for the info! I'm using it already.

I still would recommend to put it in custom Doom mod, for ease of use.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

PhysixCat wrote:It organizes the map names like this
Would you like me to link you my WadSmoosh'd file so you can see its guts?
Sorry, missed your comment somehow. No, I don't need WadSmoosh'd file, thanks.
Created an issue for this request to not forget when I get to update this mod.
PhysixCat

Post by PhysixCat »

Cool :)

Also, just to clarify (it's probably obvious, but still) - when you load a Doom 1 PWAD, it's E1-E4 (sometimes even E5, like with Doom1TheWayIdDid:LostEpisodes) that get switched, leaving all other maps intact. But since most PWADs are made for Doom 2, that's why I said MAP01-MAP32 are the ones that tend to get replaced. Even mapsets made with Final Doom IWADs in mind (like Plutonia RCP and Plutonia 2) use MAP01-MAP32 as usual, leaving PL_MAP01-PL_MAP32 intact.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

IDCLEVer Starter will not reset your health and take away your armor, intentional?
m8f

Post by m8f »

DabbingSquidward wrote:IDCLEVer Starter will not reset your health and take away your armor, intentional?
In normal circumstances, no. Did you load Ultimate Custom Doom with IDCLEVer, by any chance? If you did, then IDCLEVer hands health and armor control to UCD.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

m8f wrote: Laser Sight (v0.5.3)
This minimod provides standalone configurable Laser Sight for GZDoom.

Features:
* equally visible on all distances;
Well, that's a lie lol.
I don't know at what distance it disappears, but it does. It also disappears when it hits the sky.
Found out about it when tried to play Golden Souls 2 with it, which has a lot of large open areas and a lot of skies.
Here's a video of it happening. And attached is the map I used.
https://youtu.be/dvRFuHQpyag

It would've been great if this issue was fixed (i.e. make it TRULY visible at ALL distances and skies too)
Attachments
rangetest.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
m8f

Post by m8f »

m8f wrote:* equally visible on all distances (except sky and very far);
Fixed! :wink:

On a more serious note:
1. Laser sight disappearing when pointing to the sky is very much intended. I designed it to be seen as little time as possible. Also, laser sight mark cannot land on thin air :)
Is it really needed? I don't want to change this unconditionally, and I don't want to introduce another option without need.

2. Distance - good catch, created an issue. Don't know when I get to it, though. Thanks for reporting!
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Well, the thing is that when there's a lot of sky backdrops and you try to aim at something (like you have to do a LOT in Golden Souls 2 or some suspended-in-void types of maps like starting maps in Aeons of Ruin), the laser sight constantly disappears and reappears, making it much harder to aim without a point of reference of where the crosshair is now.

I must admit I use this mod for a bit of unintended purpose - as aiming crosshair in VR fork of GZDoom - since it does not have a crosshair option on its own.

This mod is pretty much ESSENTIAL for VR and helps a LOT, and it's prety much the only such mod that is universal and works in VR, except the times when it does not.
I actually managed to dig into the code and find the values I needed to tweak (namely linetrace distance and SKYEXPLODE) to make it work for me, but out-of-the-box options to tweak those values would've been much better.

Another good option to add would be changing the rate at which the laser expands with distance, as its just a little bit off (gets bigger faster) in VR than it is in regular version. Being able to tweak it would be great, as I couldn't find a way to do it in the code - my coding knowledge is rather limited.

I know it's not its intended purpose, but if you could make the particle beam to originate from the weapon instead of the player (it does look weird in VR) that would've been really great as well.

In any case, thank you a lot for this mod, I don't think I would've enjoyed VR Doom as much as I do without it.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Laser Sight is updated to v0.6!

Changelog:

- max draw distance increased 100x times.
- option to draw laser dot on the sky.
- option to disable size compensation on distance (dot is bigger when close and smaller when far away).
- size by distance coefficient (size change rate - make the dot bigger on smaller on distance).
- subtle glow effect for cooler looks.
- streamlined settings: no more absurd "settings update period". All settings take effect immediately, without performance penalty.
- cleanup: removed unnecessary spaces in menus.

Download
m8f

Re: IDCLEVer Starter, Armament Tuning, Laser Sight, m_Gizmos

Post by m8f »

m_Gizmos is released!

It contains various functions that were previously a part of Weapon Menu. See OP for the details.
JohnDoe8

Re: IDCLEVer Starter, Armament Tuning, Laser Sight, m_Gizmos

Post by JohnDoe8 »

Bug report: "last used weapon" in Gizmos does not carry over during level change.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”