[WIP] PyWeaponWheel v0.3 - Universal weapon wheel!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EtherBot

Re: [WIP] PyWeaponWheel v0.3 - Universal weapon wheel!

Post by EtherBot »

One thing that sort of troubles me is that it requires freelook to be enabled to work properly. I tried looking into a way to bind my wheel key to turn freelook on but i cant seem to find a way to make it turn off freelook when releasing that key. Wish there was an easier method for this as I generally prefer turning off freelook for doom
spectrefps

Post by spectrefps »

This is a great mod. Love the fact that it also (optionally) freezes everything while you have it up, so you can switch weapons during fast paced encounters. However, as others have stated, it has a serious bug with Doom RL Arsenal (DRLA). After some time, the key to drop weapons will cease to function, preventing the player from dropping any weapons (or picking up any new ones). At first I thought this was due to hitting the weapon-drop key (in my case, backspace) while the weapon wheel was up. But, as was previously mentioned by another user, it can happen even without hitting the drop-weapon key. Otherwise, it is a wonderful mod, and I hope you are able to fix this issue so I can continue using it in DRLA! :D
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Hello! I have a suggestion that would work very well with mods that have A TON of weapons. Currently, if you try to play with a mod that has alot of weapons, the wheel looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/jHgAq18

Now, This is a complete clusterfuck and i'm sure not many people play with such randomspawners that add THIS many weapons, but even then, i've seen alot of mods where this happens. My fix is really simple, you know in GTA V when you select a weapon from the wheel but you have various types of it? Like shotguns or sub-machineguns? You scroll that weapon type until you find the one you want to change to, correct? This is the "fix". A Cvar or menu option where you would be able to "scroll" (using mousewheel by default) trhough a weapon slot, the order could be (default) weapon selection order. It is really simple and would look neat.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Quite a few people have obviously looked at this mod and made their own versions of it. So I'm wondering if anyone has managed to address the various floating point truncation warnings that appear at the console during loading when developer mode is active?

Code: Select all

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 60:
Truncation of floating point value
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 597:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 697:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 697:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 699:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 699:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 704:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 704:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 706:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 706:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 710:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 710:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 715:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 823:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 823:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 830:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 831:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_drawer.zsc" line 31:
Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_v0.3.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_drawer.zsc" line 32:
script parsing took 197.57 ms
If not, is anyone able to take a look. I tried but I got lost very quickly and wasn't able to resolve anything.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Enjay wrote:Quite a few people have obviously looked at this mod and made their own versions of it. So I'm wondering if anyone has managed to address the various floating point truncation warnings that appear at the console during loading when developer mode is active?
If not, is anyone able to take a look. I tried but I got lost very quickly and wasn't able to resolve anything.
Here you go Enjay.
I guess I'm not the only one getting annoyed whenever any warning pop up during loading and never disable developer mode. :lol:
Attachments
PyWeaponWheel_TrancFix.pk3
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Beautiful! Works like a charm. Thank you very much. :thumb:

[edit]and now that I've played around with it a bit, I can see that it's going to be something that I use quite a lot with some mods. The warnings had bothered me to the point of not wanting to use the wheel (even though functionally it was still good). This adds the final bit of polish to it as far as I'm concerned.

I had a look at the fixes and I can follow what was done, but there is no way I could have arrived at them myself. Once again, thank you.[/edit]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm...

I thought I'd have a look to see what happens if I tell GZDoom that the weapon wheel is versioned to the current zscript and there are a lot of deprecation warnings.
Spoiler:
I *think* I have addressed most of them using the deprecation warnings.

I replaced all instances of CharCodeAt with ByteAt() and that seems to be working.
I replaced all instances of CharAt with Mid(). Honestly, I wasn't sure whether to use Left or Mid, but Mid seems to be working.
I replaced all instances of frozen with Level.isFrozen() and that also seems to be working - with one exception (noted below).
I replaced all instances of S_Sound with S_StartSound and that too seems to be working.

So, question number 1, are those replacements all suitable? The wiki seems to be a bit thin on exactly how some of these are meant to work. They seem to be working but there could easily be some functionality that I have missed or don't recognise as not working correctly.

For example, is it OK to replace:

if(level.frozen)
with:

if(Level.isFrozen())
(the extra brackets make me wonder if it's OK, but if they are missing, I get an error: "Function 'isFrozen' used without ().")

Question number 2 relates to line 635 in ev_core.zsc. Specifically, this error.

Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_TrancFix.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 635:
Accessing deprecated member variable frozen - deprecated since 3.8.0, Use Level.isFrozen() instead
The line is:

Level.frozen = wheelIsOpen;//&&level.maptime%3!=0;
if I change that to:

Level.isFrozen() = wheelIsOpen;//&&level.maptime%3!=0;
I get

Script error, "PyWeaponWheel_TrancFix.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 635:
Expression must be a modifiable value
If I miss off the () after Level.isFrozen I get told that the () is needed: "Function 'isFrozen' used without ()."

So, I'm not sure what to do there and it is now the only warning on start up so I'd like to get it sorted. Any ideas?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Enjay wrote: I *think* I have addressed most of them using the deprecation warnings.

I replaced all instances of CharCodeAt with ByteAt() and that seems to be working.
I replaced all instances of CharAt with Mid(). Honestly, I wasn't sure whether to use Left or Mid, but Mid seems to be working.
I replaced all instances of frozen with Level.isFrozen() and that also seems to be working - with one exception (noted below).
I replaced all instances of S_Sound with S_StartSound and that too seems to be working.

So, question number 1, are those replacements all suitable? The wiki seems to be a bit thin on exactly how some of these are meant to work. They seem to be working but there could easily be some functionality that I have missed or don't recognise as not working correctly.
Those are mostly right. However, what you replace CharCodeAt and CharAt depends on the contents of the string.
If it's pretty much guaranteed to be ASCII-only (e.g., class names), it's safe to use "ByteAt (index)" and "Mid (index, 1)", respectively. If the text can contain Unicode characters (e.g., tags, cluster texts), however, then you need to iterate over the string manually with CodePointCount and GetNextCodePoint for the text to be handled correctly.
For example, is it OK to replace:

if(level.frozen)
with:

if(Level.isFrozen())
(the extra brackets make me wonder if it's OK, but if they are missing, I get an error: "Function 'isFrozen' used without ().")
Thata's correct. "frozen" is a variable while "isFrozen" is a function, so the parentheses do need to be added there for it to work.
Question number 2 relates to line 635 in ev_core.zsc. Specifically, this error.

Script warning, "PyWeaponWheel_TrancFix.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 635:
Accessing deprecated member variable frozen - deprecated since 3.8.0, Use Level.isFrozen() instead
The line is:

Level.frozen = wheelIsOpen;//&&level.maptime%3!=0;
if I change that to:

Level.isFrozen() = wheelIsOpen;//&&level.maptime%3!=0;
I get

Script error, "PyWeaponWheel_TrancFix.pk3:zscript/pyw/ev_core.zsc" line 635:
Expression must be a modifiable value
If I miss off the () after Level.isFrozen I get told that the () is needed: "Function 'isFrozen' used without ()."

So, I'm not sure what to do there and it is now the only warning on start up so I'd like to get it sorted. Any ideas?
In this specific case, it needs to be replaced with level.setFrozen instead. Like so:

Level.setFrozen (wheelIsOpen);
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you kindly. The "Level.setFrozen" did the job. All warnings are now gone.

I'll look through all my other changes as well to try and check against the information that you provided.

Thanks again. :)
Mini--Joe

Post by Mini--Joe »

Got a fix for this?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I was wondering if this might possibly be used as a base to replicate the weapon wheel from the Unity release on Steam.
slyrboi

Post by slyrboi »

Mini--Joe wrote:

Got a fix for this?
Same, i've also encountered it in specific cases
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Can i_timescale be used with this mod to simulate the slowdown effect from NuDoom instead of freezing?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SiMpLeToNiUm wrote:Can i_timescale be used with this mod to simulate the slowdown effect from NuDoom instead of freezing?
i_timescale can't be changed by mods right now; there's a lot of stuff that is tied to it that would not behave correctly, such as input handling.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Darn. And I imagine there's not much else that would do something similar?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”