[1.8.6 compat]Square meets Doom [v1.0]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[1.8.6 compat]Square meets Doom [v1.0]

Post by TDRR »

NOTE THAT BIGBRIK GAMES IS WHO MADE 99.9% OF THE CONTENT IN THIS MOD, I ONLY TURNED IT INTO A GAMEPLAY MOD
BIGBRIK GAMES WASN'T DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN THE MAKING OF THIS MOD, THEY CAN'T OFFER SUPPORT OR UPDATES FOR IT
SAME GOES FOR MY BACKPORT OF SQUARE TO 1.8.6

Square but now it's a gameplay mod

Sad because Square ep3 will take a while? (Or, being realistic, a couple years) sad because pretty much no one
makes levels for Square? (I would, but i'm in an eternal mapper's block) or just want to take your battles with
the nasty circle of evil into hell, techbases and even castles? Then now you can!

BIGBRIK GAMES IS THE PROPIETARY OF SQUARE AND 99% OF THE CONTENT IN THIS MOD
Spoiler: Changelog from original Square
Spoiler: SCREENIES
BIGBRIK GAMES MADE 99% OF THE CONTENT IN THIS MOD, HAVE I STRESSED THIS ENOUGH!?

CLICK HERE ON THIS RED TEXT SO THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS MOD AND GIVE IT A TRY
Last edited by TDRR on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silentw

Re: [1.8.6 compat]Square meets Doom [v1.0]

Post by silentw »

This is a great idea... but have you cleared this with Square's makers? If so, great, you might want to add that to the post so people know this is all on the level.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

To be honest, no i haven't, but i made sure to put the credit in BIG BOLD LETTERS to make sure people see that i didn't completely make this.

Besides, the guys at BigBrik games like people making mods for their game, i'm not sure if this counts as a mod, but if they really don't like this then they are in their right to report this post and have it deleted

EDIT: Edited the main post to have more BIG BOLD LETTERS about how BigBrik made Square and most of the content in this mod
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

I am not speaking officially on behalf for BigBrik Games, but allow me to clarify for you in BIG BOLD LETTERS: Even if you credited BigBrik Games, you still did this without asking permission.

Asking permission is a very important matter of courtesy and it is disrespectful not to ask for it. It's not safe to assume what people want their resources used for, which is why it's important to ask, even if you think they are available for free. People like to know where their resources are being used, and some will have stricter policies than others.

If you didn't want to ask in case you were worried that you would be forbidden to use the resources... then why would you go ahead with it anyway?

If you can make the effort to use other people's resources for your own purposes, then you can surely spare a moment to ask for explicit permission from the creators beforehand.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Easy, Baratus - hold your fire.

Speaking as one of the "Big Cheeses" ( ;) ) of The Adventures of Square, I can provide an official statement.

Our (BigBrik Games's) licensing states that both the assets are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License and the scripting is under The MIT License. So as long as all proper credits are attributed and this is not for commercial purposes, this mod is covered by the licenses.

But if you want to get strictly technical, while this is a "mod," we do not consider this to be a "mod for Square," since this seeks to modify games other than Square.

In this case, the attribution of credit is not the issue. It may be better, however, on your behalf, to make perfectly clear that this mod is an unofficial project that is NOT endorsed by BigBrik in any official capacity, and we cannot offer any current nor future support for it. As long as you make that point abundantly clear in both the thread and in the downloaded file, things are still kosher.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

They have said it right. To be honest, TAOS still hasn't finished yet and asking for a permission beforehand is very important unless the authors are all absent. I'm not saying this is very bad, but you should have done that to begin with.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Ok, really sorry for that, will make sure to ask for permission the next time i do something like this.
will also add in yet more BIG BOLD LETTERS to state the fact that this isn't endorsed by BigBrik Games.

Baratus, i wasn't "worried that i would be forbidden to use the resources" because i already knew that Square had a license that allows reusing (It comes packaged with TAOS itself, and the ACS source is full of the MIT License) i simply forgot to ask them for permission.

Also, MTrop, thanks for your permission, and again, sorry for any problems i could have caused.
Bigbad75

Post by Bigbad75 »

This makes me want a doom mapset with square textures, of vise versa. O-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”