Ugly as Sin: A Hideous Destructor mutator pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Ugly as Sin: A Hideous Destructor mutator pack

Post by Caligari87 »

Ugly as Sin

Ugly as Sin (aka UaS) is a a mod for Hideous Destructor, adding various optional features and mechanics. Originally started as HD-Scavenger with a focus on longer-term "survival" features, but rapidly expanded into a general purpose enhancement mutator.

Feature Mutators are implemented as configurable modules, any of which may be independently enabled or disabled as desired. Please seee the GitHub project page for details.

Download Latest Release
Github repo | Older versions
Last edited by Caligari87 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: HD-Scavenger - A survival mutator for Hideous Destructor

Post by -Ghost- »

That's a cool idea, it'll go really well with HD's difficulty and realism!
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Now I can say Doom has more immersive survival mods than Skyrim of Fallout.
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

Oof, heat/cold managment sounds interesting.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm still thinking about how exactly to determine which levels (or which parts of levels) would be hot or cold enough to make a difference. A naive solution would be to set a random map-wide temperature at the beginning of a level (perhaps with a suble blue or orange color tint for extremes), but I worry that might feel... arbitrary?

8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Maybe tie it into how much "outside" space the level has, so the more outside areas, the colder it'd be to represent breaches in the base walls and stuff? Or make it hotter when there's more toxic sludge/lava etc around?
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

Oof, random temperatures sound brutal. Would prbly be a good idea to just kinda start the whole thing small, par Ghost's idea.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Caligari87 wrote:I'm still thinking about how exactly to determine which levels (or which parts of levels) would be hot or cold enough to make a difference. A naive solution would be to set a random map-wide temperature at the beginning of a level (perhaps with a suble blue or orange color tint for extremes), but I worry that might feel... arbitrary?

8-)
Probably just check the textures? If it is a lava tile then it's hot around it, if rock/marble - it's cold, etc.
PS Idk but if it's possible by ZScript to check the real date/time, you can also set the appropriate temperature and brightness level for outside areas :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

You could also go with oxygen instead, the Ultimate Doomvisor has a cool system for that where if your armor gets compromised you can only spend limited amounts of time outside (AKA map spaces with no ceiling). Might be a cool way to integrate more interactivity with armor or add O2 tanks as pickups or something ala Doom 3.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Well, HD already has the envirosuit which explicitly has full-body envelope protection (respiration, heat, corrosives, etc). I will likely leverage that and just give it even more uses instead of just running through slime. For example, as-is only being actually in/on a damaging sector causes damage. I think that could be expanded to make areas around damaging sectors dangerous as well, among other things. Most likely these would be generic damage (not specifically radiation from slime, heat from lava, etc) because mappers may use different combinations of textures/damage specials. I like the idea of outdoor sectors being mildly toxic, at least under certain conditions.

Texture name checks along may not be sufficient, since older maps can (and often do) replace existing textures with completely unrelated textures for some reason or another. They could provide some help but shouldn't be relied on.

Day-Night cycles are definitely possible. DarkDoomZ can already dynamically adjust/restore the light levels in a map. It's a trivial exercise to put some conditions, like outdoors darkening more at night than indoors for example. Lower temperature is definitely a possible side effect of nighttime. One possible check would be taking the average light levels of anywhere with a sky to see if it's day or night already. This will probably be an optional toggle since it can break maps that rely heavily on scripted or special lighting. Either way, sleeping / resting will be required on long campaigns and might result in a vastly different state of the level when you wake, if I can make monsters move around reliably without replacing their classes or likewise breaking things badly (god I wish i_timescale was available to zscript).

8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Weird question, but any chance of making this standalone when you've got it further along? I figured I'd ask now since it's still in the developmental stages. I'd love to play this with Factorum or Shut Up and Bleed or something a bit slower and more survival feeling, even if it still ports chunks of HD over to it. It'd be great even alongside more vanilla gameplay stuff just to add a little bit more depth. Who wouldn't want to camp out for 2 days in Hangar? :P
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Possibly. More likely I'll roll these things into Tranquility at some point, where they could ideally be part of a pseudo-generic platform to build off for different types of games/mods. But that's a ways down the road.

8-)
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

One thing that bothers me is that food *only* spawns on backpacks. I would add them to the health/armor bonus drops, if possible.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I don't think I'll be adding them to the spiritual armor or blue potions if that's what you're meaning; those are supernatural artifacts and wouldn't have any relation to human supplies.

I'll add ration spawns and/or replacements for some other things. Right now I'm thinking stimpacks (maybe medikits?) and ammo boxes of all kinds would be good candidates for food to spawn next to or (rarely) replace.

8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Can you make them spawn by marine bodies and such?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”