Ugly as Sin: A Hideous Destructor mutator pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dawnbreez

Re: HD-Scavenger - A survival mutator for Hideous Destructor

Post by dawnbreez »

Caligari87 wrote:I don't think I'll be adding them to the spiritual armor or blue potions if that's what you're meaning; those are supernatural artifacts and wouldn't have any relation to human supplies.

I'll add ration spawns and/or replacements for some other things. Right now I'm thinking stimpacks (maybe medikits?) and ammo boxes of all kinds would be good candidates for food to spawn next to or (rarely) replace.

8-)
I figured that the potions/spiritual armor pickups would be good places to spawn them because of where health/armor bonuses are typically placed--lots of them, along a wall or on a "shelf" of sorts, in almost every level.
Agreed on placing them with stims/medkits, though. That makes just as much sense. And ammo boxes also make sense.
-Ghost- wrote:Can you make them spawn by marine bodies and such?
This is also a good idea. Dead bodies aren't as common as bonus spawns, but they'd make sense to the player--"guess he forgot his lunch" :P
BeatCrazed

Post by BeatCrazed »

One of my favourite examples of videogame logic is stuff placed by corpses that they logically should have used. Some doom maps have corpses with medkits nearby and I just think "Well, good thing he didn't inch his way over to the lifesaving supplies so that I can use them instead"

Food from the mapspawn marine corpses sounds good though. Just on backpacks is not enough.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, it's great as a sort of environmental storytelling as well. I love when mappers actually try to arrange map decorations to show little things here and there, like a marine with his weapon on the ground and a few enemies around him to show a skirmish lost.

I think there was a submod for HD back in the day that used marine corpses to spawn loot too.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Found a bug. If the player already has 8 rations and he will try to pick up one more, then that ration will disappear.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Actually just fixed that last night, haven't uploaded yet though.

Anyone willing to do a long-play when I update the git master? Playtest it over the course of a megawad or so before I make a bugfix release? Doesn't even need to be on a high difficulty. I just want to make sure the balance is okay. BeatCrazed already did Scythe maps 1-24 with it before running out of steam so I'm pretty sure it's good, I just want to get a second third opinion on balance now that I've tweaked a few things.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

HD-Scavenger v0.1.5

Minor point release, numerous bugfixes and features for hunger mechanic. Should be fully playable and functional now.

Highlights:
  • Now there's a max calorie cap, which you won't likely be able to hit because your bite sizes get progressively smaller when your stomach is full.
  • Additional ration spawns on ammo boxes, medikits, stimpacks, and dead marines. Meals are slightly smaller to compensate for the additional spawns.
  • Hunger status messages now also trigger within 2 seconds of opening (using) the messkit, so it's not quite as much guesswork when you should eat. If no message shows up, you're "in the zone" so to speak.
  • Max rations are now 16 instead of 8, and rations no longer disappear when picking up extras.
8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Caligari87 wrote:Actually just fixed that last night, haven't uploaded yet though.

Anyone willing to do a long-play when I update the git master? Playtest it over the course of a megawad or so before I make a bugfix release? Doesn't even need to be on a high difficulty. I just want to make sure the balance is okay. BeatCrazed already did Scythe maps 1-24 with it before running out of steam so I'm pretty sure it's good, I just want to get a second third opinion on balance now that I've tweaked a few things.

8-)
I'll give it a try, though I can't guarantee I'm a very good HD player.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Alright, so no new release but I have implemented a thirst feature. Works the same way as food, and each ration now has a half-liter of water included. I've also made the timescale adjustable, which defaults to 60x real-time for calorie burn and whatnot. No menu interface yet, but you can set a custom timescale in the console with HDScav_TimeScale. Please note, 60x feels best for HD-length games in my opinion and is what ration spawns are currently balanced against, so if you set it slower you'll have way too much food, faster and you probably won't have enough. I'll probably change spawn rates in the future to respect the time scaling.

Testing needed, if you want to try it out then feel free to download the latest unstable version.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

HD-Scavenger v0.2.0

Minor point release for new Thirst system.

Highlights:
  • Thirst mechanic fully implemented. Mostly a carbon-copy of the hunger mechanic, but still feels cohesive and important.
  • Timescale of the hunger/thirst rates can now be adjusted via option menu. Defaults to 60x realtime, which seems a reasonable condescension to good gameplay balance and urgency. Ration spawns are also affected.
  • The current opened ration can now be discarded with the Unload / user4 key, which any self-respecting Hideous Destructor operative should already have bound.
  • Proper debugging output via the HDScav_Debug CVar. Can be set to 0 (none), 1 (basic) or 2 (verbose). Keep in mind this does spam the console quite aggressively.
  • Some bugfixes and gentle randomization of calorie/water burn rates.
8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

HD-Scavenger v0.3.0

Minor point pre-release, focusing on new Scarcity module. This system is designed to reduce or alter map spawns, forcing the player to work harder for their ammo / medical / equipment supplies.

Highlights:
  • Scarcity mechanic about 90% implemented.
    • Not all map spawns are affected but most of the important ones should be.
    • Spawns should still usually give something, even if degraded.
    • Broken automaps might repair if repeatedly picked up.
    • Stims and zerks may sometimes spawn as unpackaged injectors.
    • A Test Map (MAP64) can be used to see how spawns are affected.
  • Hunger and Thirst modules have been tweaked somewhat.
    • Consumption rate scales with the hunger timescale.
    • Timescale now adjusts by discrete values.
  • A Sling module has been added.
    • Attached to a weapon by activating the inventory item with the weapon out.
    • Activated by holding [use] will make the weapon will behave as braced.
    • Will not activate if the weapon is already braced in a normal position.
    • May be used on most of the long guns, including shotguns.
Marked as pre-release since there's probably more tweaks to be done on the scarcity system and more items to add.
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

All of a sudden I feel paranoid about my survival chances because of food and thirst. Which is great, as with the whole Scarcity system. 3rd map on Plutonia, so far the system seems 'balanced'. Not too much, not too few per say.

The sling is awesome, you're awesome. It's been bugging me about not being able to be braced and peak around a corner (except on the floor). Seems to give a major upper-hand when starting an engagement, seeing as how bracing itself cuts a huge penalty of recoil (leaving the added mobility of standing).
No complaints though, just makes surviving an already unforgiving hell-scape a tiny bit easier.

EDIT: Grammer
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

HD-Scavenger v0.4.0

Minor stable point release adding a new Reloader module, a Frag Spawn module, and some additional changes to the Scarcity and Hunger modules.

Highlights:
  • Reloader module added.
    • Allows manually reforging empty 7.76mm brass and 4.26mm caseless rounds into new 7.76mm rounds.
    • Brass needs to be prepped, caseless rounds need to be broken down to powder/shot, shot needs to be reforged, and new rounds pressed.
    • Each step of the process can result in losses if not completed properly, but otherwise is more efficient than the between-level reloading.
  • Frag Spawn Rate module added to menu under misc. options.
    • Set a random rate by which frag will be prevented from spawning.
    • Command to clear all frag on current level.
  • Scarcity module additions and tweaks.
    • Added broken lite-amp goggles. Can spawn in three states: Partially broken (flicker badly), fully broken (no light amplification), or smashed (unwearable).
    • Overspawn setting added. Controls how much "excess" is left over when a spawn is removed by scarcity module.
    • Second Flesh modules for medikit, can be unloaded and reloaded.
  • Hunger module tweaks
    • Messkits will spawn at earliest opportunity if player doesn't have one.
    • Ration spawns adjusted, should be more common and consistent now.
    • Messkit can now trigger hunger status messages manually via [firemode] key.
    • Blue potions no longer despawn.
  • Other additional minor tweaks to menus, messages, defaults, timings, etc.
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

so the reloader bootstrap doesn't seem to catch custom loadouts containing a lib or boss. not exactly sure what's getting missed since it just checks the player for either of those weapons before deciding. nice idea to reduce the clutter a bit for the other classes, though.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice work! I like the various modules that help customize it a bit. I hope you're able to make this work with other mods as well, it'd be cool with some of the more survival/horror oriented gameplay mods.
Caligari87
Admin

Re: Ugly as Sin: A Hideous Destructor mutator pack

Post by Caligari87 »

For anyone who hasn't been following on Discord, HD-Scavenger is now Ugly as Sin, and has released a new stable version 3.5.1.0.0 to sync up with the newest stable Hideous Destructor 3.5.1.0!

Download UaS v3.5.1.0.0

First post updated, basically just copies over the readme from the github repo.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”