Dusted's Pandemonia (v2.5) (+ Monsters-only) (Anarchy and Insurrection addons!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NullWire

Re: [WIP] Dusted's Pandemonia (v0.1)

Post by NullWire »

DustedPandemonic wrote:The actual version 1.0 of Pandemonia has been released! The version number was going to be reserved for the first public release, but I forgot to change it. A ton of new features, fixes, and tweaks have been added, and the changelog will be included in the original post along with some screenshots of new content.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l7Vbl ... Z7ko2-JEp4
NullWire wrote:Are you going to include all the Eriance weapons? Like the Missile launcher, Gatling gun and the Machine gun

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmjp1zp8w ... V2.0.0.pk3
I edited a little bit the last version of erigun just to change the Chainsaw and the fists, idk is this could be useful for you besides of the ammo counter effect in the plasma gun.
I might include the missile launcher at some point, but I dunno about the gatling gun or machine gun yet since there are already an assault rifle and minigun in Pandemonia with different sprites.
I see, what about to include the ammo counter effect in the plasma rifle? :o
DustedPandemonic

Re: [WIP] Dusted's Pandemonia (v0.1)

Post by DustedPandemonic »

NullWire wrote:I see, what about to include the ammo counter effect in the plasma rifle? :o
That would be an interesting detail to have! Implementing it might be a bit weird since my plasma rifle is all done through the use of the TEXTURES lump rather than having a bunch of different sprites, but I'll see what I can do.
Rowsol

Re: [WIP] Dusted's Pandemonia (v1.0)

Post by Rowsol »

This shit is hard. I cut damagefactor in half, using HMP spawns, sped up the weapons, and loaded ancient aliens. In an hour I must've died 15 times. The enemies are no joke. I like them, they all feel unique but they are fucking hard. I don't suppose you would want to have the harder tiers drop a little something on death would ya?

The effects are top notch, it surprised me at first, I didn't expect it. My only gripe is with how slow the weapons are. It feels like playing vanilla doom with new skins.
DustedPandemonic

Rowsol wrote:This shit is hard. I cut damagefactor in half, using HMP spawns, sped up the weapons, and loaded ancient aliens. In an hour I must've died 15 times. The enemies are no joke. I like them, they all feel unique but they are fucking hard. I don't suppose you would want to have the harder tiers drop a little something on death would ya?

The effects are top notch, it surprised me at first, I didn't expect it. My only gripe is with how slow the weapons are. It feels like playing vanilla doom with new skins.
Most of the original weapons are pretty identical to vanilla, apart from the SSG which has the altfire. I would say Pandemonia plays much better on easier wads due to the lack of more powerful weapons and items. Some of the stronger zombies can drop field kits which is helpful, but yeah I should probably add some other drops to higher tiers as well apart from new weapons and some ammo.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I forgot to mention the HUD. It's hard for me to tell what keys I have. Either the keys don't light up enough or the default faded image isn't dark enough. Ammo reserves need to be on the screen. Having to scroll through my weapons to find one with ammo is a huge pain, and the fact that you can select a weapon that doesn't have ammo doesn't help. The faded mugshot is an odd choice but that doesn't really matter.

Edit: I just faded out the HUD, now the keys are easy to notice.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Having all the ammo types on screen takes up space and is generally a stupid idea, tbh.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

There's only 4 types...

As to my earlier statement, I think it was the wad I was playing to be the source of most of my frustration. Yes, this is certainly much harder than vanilla doom but that's kinda the point. I had forgotten how hard Ancient Aliens was. I played some of Japanese Community Project and it went much smoother. I'm a bit of a rambo player and you really shouldn't play that way with this or you're going to have a bad time.
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Hey. I just played it. I really love all the sprites, especially the SSG (I think the same sprites are in Freedoom). I played the first 7 maps of Doom II with this mod on Ultra-Violence and it wasn't too bad. I had a lot of fun with it. The only annoying thing in this mod is the looped sound of a torch. I'll be looking forward to future updates.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very interesting mod! I really love the special effects. They are just shiny and gorgeous. Also the overall style reminds me of good ol' weapon mods i played a long time ago.

Truly a nice mod, i say!
DustedPandemonic

Re: [WIP] Dusted's Pandemonia (v1.0.1)

A quick hotfix has been released, fixing the Corpulent from damaging itself with its fire.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LATV1 ... tdKuJfvQt7
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

After quite a few hours playing this I'm ready to finalize my critique. It's a great mod overall, reminds me of complex doom before all the ridiculous addons, but with better effects and no wonkyness like hitscanners doing double damage, so a solid upgrade to the formula. These are mostly nit picky so take it with a grain.

• Player could use some custom sounds.
• Saw's idle sound is too loud, makes you want to put it away.
• SelfDamageFactor in the player properties seems like a good move. I've always thought straight up killing yourself when you accidentally shoot a rocket in your face was a shitty way to go. 0.25 seems fair.
• The constant 'oofs' when dropping the slightest distance get old quick.
• Ammo limits could be increased. I've always thought bullets got shafted with 200/400. It's a minimal effect on balance, more of a nice to have.
• Field kits limit of 3 seems stingy. I raised it to 5 as it's the type of thing you don't need until you really do and then all those kits you passed on because you were maxed out you'll wish you had. On top of that, setting 'HealthPickup.AutoUse 3' is my saviour. I would die constantly with them in my inventory, now I don't have to bother with manually using that.
• Some of the more rare powerups could use a () description when picked up. I still don't know what half of them do. (I could just look at the code, but nah)
• I don't like that there's a single weapon that requires manual reloads, the autoshotgun. It feels out of place. I understand needing to balance it somehow but meh...
• Supershotgun should be able to be reloaded with the reload key.
• The minigun has a terribly long spin down, during which you can't do anything but wait. If you added a A_ReFire there at least it would be more fun to use, even if you have to wait for the spinup again.
• Many projectiles have hitboxes larger than the object. This isn't new, Doom has this same thing. I personally would rather miss a shot every now and then than have my rocket collide with the corner of a wall it should've been able to pass.
• No one will ever convince me that the cooldown on the plasmarifle is a good choice. I get the 'stock weapons are close to vanilla' theme, doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
• Back to hitboxes, another vanilla gem we have is overbloated enemy hitboxes. Arachnotrons are probably the biggest offender. Rather than tighten up like I usually do I just increased the scale of the monsters affected. Reducing the hitbox does affect the game balance after all.
• On the opposite side of that coin we have revenants. Shooting through their top half never gets old. They have a height of 56 yet their real high is closer to 72. I split the difference with 64 height, 0.9 scale. This was after a revenant was shooting me from a lower ledge where he could hit me but I couldn't hit him. I'll take the occasional stuck-in-ceiling revenant over that.
• Revenant rockets look a lot better scaled down. Now that they shoot 2 at a once, they form into one giant ball. Scale 0.7 looks better and matches the 30% reduced damage.
• As mentioned before, the weapons in my opinion feel slow. It's my humble opinion that the faster something shoots, the more fun it is.
• The green lost soul has a terribly long death sequence. Please shorten it.
• Weapons switch slow. A little switch speed increase never hurt anybody.

Now onto the good.

• I like the gun sounds. Unlike CD which had weapons that were far louder than others this mod doesn't have that issue, aside from the saw's idle sound.
• The effects as mentioned before are pretty great.
• I can't single out a monster I hate, which is unique given the amount of guys in here. I hate revenants, but always have. I suck at dodging those fucking rockets.
• The rare weapon drops feel earned. It feels good when one drops.

There's obviously more like enemies having multiple attacks but that sorta comes with this kind of mod. I'm playing it a lot more than I thought I would at first. I thought I'd get bored after a few videos and pack it in.

Anyway, here's some videos of a modified version of this with most of these things altered to fit my playstyle. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZxQTpFmHJA
Roasterock

Post by Roasterock »

This update almost makes it feel like an entirely different mod. The enemy count has nearly doubled, there's more weapons to offset the strength of some of these mosnters, and they have some reasonable drops. The effects have been cleaned up even further and now I can differentiate between which projectiles are which. Everything for an actual first release looks great.

My only complaints left is that there's no real reward for beating the stronger monsters, other than the ones that drop weapons. There's the option to just do health bonuses, but that would be too close to Complex at that point.
I also still audibly groan every time I see a Mafibus, since they usually just steamroll me as I have no way to dodge the comets, and they seem to be extrememly common.
Other than that, the only one of Rowsol's criticisms that I find legitimate is the field kit usage, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I almost never had enough of them, and when I saw one sitting out, my first thoughts were "Goddamnit, there goes 5 hp" instead of "goddamnit, I can't pick this up".

Those are 3 very minor bits in an otherwise fantastic update.
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

In the next update. There is Augmented Arachnotron and Terminator?
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

I found a pretty interesting railgun sprite in Zagemod (The ST Class marine has it)
it's a combination between the Eriance's Smg and the BD railgun, besides that it looks pretty cool imo.

It could be a good replacement for the current railgun, since most of the weapons are Eriance's sprites. Well.. this railgun could fit perfectly.

About the Chainsaw.. can I suggest the D4T one?
Necrodoom

Post by Necrodoom »

The videos look really good! Cant wait to try this mod out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”