Pasta Power, Baby - This plumber wants his cake

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Clownman

Pasta Power, Baby - This plumber wants his cake

Post by Clownman »

Pasta Power is a gameplay mod that replaces the Doomguy with everyone's favorite video game icon, Super Mario! (And his brother Luigi, eventually) Battle your way through the hordes of hell with a colorful arsenal of weapons, tools and super powers. This mod is based off the entirety of the Mario series, especially the RPGs. (Which is why the ammo system is universal)

PUBLIC ALPHA TEST (Jun 16 - 2019) - https://www.mediafire.com/file/tigqog2a ... o.pk3/file
Clownman wrote:So, I'm gonna be uploading a public alpha test for this mod tonight because aside from just now trying to get back to work on it I've also started implementing ZooL's Mario ZScript abilities. However I am still running into issues and being inexperienced with ZScript doesn't exactly help so expect a few minor kinks. A placeholder for Luigi's class is in the game but hasn't been worked on yet and I haven't exactly found out how to make weapons spawn when playing as a specific class or some weird pickup system ALA Samsara. So if anybody out there would be willing to lend a hand, That'd be great. Feel free to give any criticisms too. Most weapons aside from the SSG's replacement (Boomerang) are pretty much complete save for the BFG slot. But considering I've had this in development for almost a complete year, I hope you can enjoy what I have got done for the most part. It's in a nicely playable state despite missing some aspects.
Spoiler: credits list (WIP)
Last edited by Clownman on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
DontCareAboutMe

Re: [EARLY WIP] Pasta Power, Baby

Post by DontCareAboutMe »

thatsa pretty good !
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Please tell me there will be a hammer weapon too.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Please tell me there will be a hammer weapon too.
There will be. Preferably for the chainsaw slot.

Got some permission from Weasel to modify his WWHC-Diaz Melee code, I needed a three-hit combo. Damage needs to be buffed and it needs some sort of altfire but I'm loving how it's turning out. Ignore the recolored Fire Flower hand too, That's being replaced with my own pre-rendered Mario hands seen on the fists.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Updating, Hope to give more info tomorrow regarding some history leading to the creation of this mod.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Idea: replace medkits with mushrooms, with the Soulsphere becoming a 1-Up Mushroom (which works like Heretical Doom's Sacred Urn).
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Coming along with another update, The new ammo system is done and I managed to get a few friends on board to help me with this. Meaning, that this mod will now have it's own dedicated HUD and possibly other functions like a shop and point system. Along with that, I'm looking into adding Luigi as a second playable class once I'm finished with Mario.

Clownman

Post by Clownman »

I am pleased to say the mod is about 65% complete, save for the Luigi class which I haven't really started at all save for one weapon.

Just need to touch up a few things, Add in a BFG replacement and also find a way to fix up the red shells - For those curious and willing to help, be sure to check here.
Clownman

Re: Pasta Power, Baby - An unnamed Mario ZDoom mod

Post by Clownman »

Mario now has a full set of player sprites and also has a custom jumping graphic state. Pretty sure I can start working on Luigi soon. I'm probably gonna get rid of the Hammer Suit though, it just kinda sucks right now from all the times I playtested with it.

Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Been a while since the last update, huh? Currently updated Mario's jumping code so he doesn't constantly destroy destructable props by accident (along with barrels and explosive objects) and he doesn't stay in his jumping pose when standing on objects anymore. Also currently implementing ZooL's Mario movement mod, Just gotta find out how to remove the extra optional stuff if possible.

Expect an alpha test demo real soon, hopefully.
ronipunk

Post by ronipunk »

Oh, this is great!
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

This looks good can't wait to try this when it's completed lol
Clownman

Re: Pasta Power, Baby - (PUBLIC ALPHA TEST)

Post by Clownman »

So, I'm gonna be uploading a public alpha test for this mod tonight because aside from just now trying to get back to work on it I've also started implementing ZooL's Mario ZScript abilities. However I am still running into issues and being inexperienced with ZScript doesn't exactly help so expect a few minor kinks. A placeholder for Luigi's class is in the game but hasn't been worked on yet and I haven't exactly found out how to make weapons spawn when playing as a specific class or some weird pickup system ALA Samsara. So if anybody out there would be willing to lend a hand, That'd be great. Feel free to give any criticisms too. Most weapons aside from the SSG's replacement (Boomerang) are pretty much complete save for the BFG slot. But considering I've had this in development for almost a complete year, I hope you can enjoy what I have got done for the most part. It's in a nicely playable state despite missing some aspects.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Pasta Power, Baby - (PUBLIC ALPHA TEST)

Post by armymen12002003 »

I just played a few levels of super mayhem 17 with this fun stuff hoping to see some more for this.
Clownman

Re: Pasta Power, Baby - This plumber wants his cake

Post by Clownman »

A bit of a bump, But I can safely say this mod is now back in development after a year-long hiatus. Quite a bit has changed and I'm making some steady progress.

I also want to dedicate this mod to AlphaDream, The developers of the Mario & Luigi subseries who sadly filed for bankruptcy and closed their doors near the end of last year, seemingly after the Bowser's Inside Story 3DS remake. This mod uses a lot from M&L in particular, along with the fact that I am planning to have Luigi be a secondary playable character. I'm really uncertain if the M&L subseries will ever make a comeback as the BiS remake ended up being the worst selling 3DS game (with the system on it's last legs at the end of it's lifespan, it's not hard to see why) and one of the worst selling games in the Mario franchise as a whole...

But, hey. Paper Mario is coming back: And that hopefully should at least be enjoyable again compared to the last two entries it had.

CHANGELOG

Code: Select all

-The Boomerang has been removed and replaced with F.L.U.D.D. from Mario Sunshine. While the water shots are weak, they can usually stunlock enemies and have significant pushing power. 
-Mario now has jumping grunts. 
-The gibbing animation is now replaced with the series' "classic death throw". You can see it in third person, here: https://twitter.com/Missingno123311/status/1268792495107760129

Return to “Gameplay Mods”