[0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
CD-Roman

Re: [0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Post by CD-Roman »

Chasm Music Randomizer - outstanding work, finally, music is random instead of playing D_STALKS as MAP02 every time :D. Very easy to modd, I hope U dont mine if I use your "script" for my prv OST wads
vomitus

Post by vomitus »

Thank you for this great mod! I haven't played Chasm in ages, and it is great to see the game's models in hi-res. I looked around the pk3 and didn't notice the three new enemies from the official addon (available at https://www.moddb.com/games/chasm-the-r ... -expansion ). These are the "Shot", "Wolf", and "High Priest Bonifaciy". They have pages on the Chasm Wikia here:

http://chasmtherift.wikia.com/wiki/Shot

http://chasmtherift.wikia.com/wiki/Wolf

http://chasmtherift.wikia.com/wiki/High ... _Bonifaciy

Do you have any plans to add these additional enemies?
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

@vomitus

I've searched on the files and I found "Shot" and "Wolf". They are called "Goblin" and "Orc".

But i think the "High Priest Bonifaciy" isn't there.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I've been waiting for something like this for ages! My hero!

If only my graphics card didn't have brain damage, I could actually play it.

I can make a fun suggestion though: if it's Heretic compatable, try playing it with Realms of Dr. Chaos. Parts 2 and 3 have areas based on Chasm maps.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah I renamed "Shot" and "Wolf" because well... that's what they looked like to me. Bonifaciy isn't in because he's a stationary target that was placed against a solid wall, covering his nontextued/nonpolyed back. It was pretty jarring in Gzdoom because he'd just be in an open area and looking at him through the back would make parts of him invisible or clip.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

So I've been going through a full playthrough of Plutonia 2 with this, and I kind of have a couple of suggestions (or maybe just one since I can't really think of it right now).

I know this may sound like a rather tall order, but perhaps there could either be an option to let enemy-specific gibs remain, or just a simple timer for the gibs?

It's just that I usually end up saving Grenade Launcher ammo for the Phantoms and only really for emergency situations since after I use explosive weapons, a lot of rooms look rather empty as a result due to the gibs just disappearing after a short while and supposedly the dismemberment system is on its way.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know how applicable it would be here, but in my mod with model-based enemies, I did gibbing by borrowing from Quake and giving all enemies a bloody torso and a decapitated head. If the enemy got gibbed the torso and head spawned as well as a bunch of other random meaty chunks. After a while all the little gibs faded but the torso and head remained. So there wasn't too much junk littering the map but you could still see where the enemies had died, and that they had been gibbed rather than just having a more conventional death.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Are you planning on having strife compatibility too?
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Some feedback.

I tried doing pistol starts on two maps in Doom 404 and both didn't go well. The mod seems to have some trouble with ammo distribution.

Map10 gives the player only a super shotgun and a plasma rifle to toy around again a large mob of mancubi. In ZRift, this translates to the player getting the plasma shotgun and the plasma rifle replacement, each with their own ammo types. The map however tries really hard to give the player shells that the player can't use. Is there a reason why the SSG replacement has to have its own unique ammotype? If so, why not have the shell pickups also give this ammo type? Also, the ogre is acts like a hell knight more than a mancubus, significantly changing the gameplay.

The next map, Map11, gives the player a chaingun from the start and expects the player to use the starting 50 ammo units the player normally gets along with it. In ZRift however, the player doesn't get this starting ammo for some reason, so the 20 bullets given by the chaingun are all absorbed almost immediately. The player is doomed from the start. Why doesn't the player get the 50 starting bullets? It breaks this map in half.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Pandut »

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it C:
I know this may sound like a rather tall order, but perhaps there could either be an option to let enemy-specific gibs remain, or just a simple timer for the gibs?
Yeah that was a choice for optimization's sake. Since most of the time GZDoom is awkward with 3d models so having so much 3d gibs on the screen would cause FPS issues. I can probably make a few exceptions for certain enemies, or simple just prolong the timer so unique gibs stay behind longer. Or might play around with blood splatter sprites so even if the 3D gibs vanish, there's still blood n stuff everywhere.
Honestly? I have no experience with modding Strife so it's outside my field atm :c
The map however tries really hard to give the player shells that the player can't use. Is there a reason why the SSG replacement has to have its own unique ammotype? If so, why not have the shell pickups also give this ammo type?
Yeah that's my fault of trying to deal with convolution of having so much stuff aha. I need to go through the spawns and optimize them anyhow. I'll be sure to fix it up for next release so it doesn't break gameplay flows on specific maps.
Also, the ogre is acts like a hell knight more than a mancubus, significantly changing the gameplay.
Sadly this is the fault of Chasm itself. The grand majority of Chasm enemies are simple "one projectile attack, one melee attack" enemies and theres nothing really innovative in terms of enemy behavior like Doom. I tried playing with the formula a bit, while trying to keep it close to the original roots.
Why doesn't the player get the 50 starting bullets? It breaks this map in half.
Again, this is my fault. I forgot to change that, since the starting rifle has infinite ammo. I will fix that for next release.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Pandut wrote:
Honestly? I have no experience with modding Strife so it's outside my field atm :c
Ahh i see also i've noticed the gibbed marine corpses are still sprited and not replaced with a 3D models i hope you fix this in the next release.
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

Can i make a suggestion?

Could you replace the turrets with the Goblins, please?

Turrets don't have animations, don't move, don't have personality (they are just boring), and we find them all over the place... on the other hand, goblins are good looking enemies, full animated, much more cool to fight and, as far as i know, they only can be found in secret levels :/

again... it's only a suggestion :)
Rez

Re: [WIP] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (New screens)

Post by Rez »

Did the weapon sprites from the mods early days ever get released?
Would be a shame to leave them unused, they look great!
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

I just found a bug in the mod... sorry if this was already mentioned here

When a map uses a script to spawn an enemy that was previously used in the map, this enemy will get a NewTID... and ZRift doesn't replaces this Doom enemy with his Chasm counterpart

You can see this happening here in this video at 06:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_obLECMpw

and if you play this other map: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ce-dmc-ii/ you'll see this happening all the time, because a lot of enemies are spawn-triggered and they show up as a Doom sprite and not as a beautiful chasm-3D-model :(
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

Looks rad! I'm glad more and more GZDoom mods based on other FPS's are made, including this one.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”