[minimod][v2.0.1] Target Spy: Health Bar on Steroids

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: [minimod] Target Spy [v1.3]: Health Bars++ (+frame)

Post by m8f »

Update (v1.3) brings a couple of bugfixes and the new feature: Target Frame.

Changelog:
- Target Frame: visual frame around the target. There are several different styles. Disabled by default. Check Target Spy Options -> Visuals -> Target Frame Style.
- fixed targeting on big distances.
- fixed wrong crosshair position when statusbar is enabled (Screen Size = 10).
- code cleanup and restructuring.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

I wish Heretic Hexen Strife and Chex can do HP Bars too
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Does Target Spy have a feature to detect if a monster is invulnerable?

I've seen a couple mods that feature a monster or two that can make themselves temporarily invulnerable for the duration of a special attack, phase change or a defensive move. Scalliano's Super Shuffle, Complex Doom: LCA (Legendary Complex Addon) and a few other mods that feature custom monsters have some monsters that do this.

Can you add a "Invulnerable!" text appears below the HP bar (or anywhere else you feel is more suitable) and temporarily override the color of the entire HP bar to something different (like Cream color or any other bright neon color that signals "hey this character has gone super saiyan and is indestructible!")

Recently user banjiepixel posted a remixed version of the Monster Scouter mod that added detection of invulnurable targets, so thats why I'm bringing this up. He's figured out a way to detect invulnerability, so you can check out his code on how to do it, if it helps:
viewtopic.php?p=1075018#p1075018
m8f

Post by m8f »

YasuoProjectX wrote:I wish Heretic Hexen Strife and Chex can do HP Bars too
What did I do to give you the impression that Target Spy doesn't work with Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and Chex Quest? :D
It should work fine with everything running on GZDoom engine. Some DeHackEd-based games (like Harmony) may show incorrect enemy names, though. For REKKR I fixed names manually.
Spaceman333 wrote:Does Target Spy have a feature to detect if a monster is invulnerable?
Yes, it does. This feature was introduced in v0.12.1. It doesn't change the color, though. I'll consider adding the color change in next version.

I didn't check with Scalliano's Super Shuffle or Complex Doom: LCA (Legendary Complex Addon), but here is the modified Demon from EVP:

(click to view original)

Edit: forgot to mention: this feature is enabled by Visuals -> "Additional Info" toggle.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

m8f wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Does Target Spy have a feature to detect if a monster is invulnerable?
Yes, it does. This feature was introduced in v0.12.1. It doesn't change the color, though. I'll consider adding the color change in next version.

I didn't check with Scalliano's Super Shuffle or Complex Doom: LCA (Legendary Complex Addon), but here is the modified Demon from EVP:

(click to view original)

Edit: forgot to mention: this feature is enabled by Visuals -> "Additional Info" toggle.
Hot dang, neat! Funnily enough I had almost every other option was enabled *except* the "Additional Info", so that both explains what it does and why I didn't see the invulnerability that comes with that setting. :D

Nevermind that request then, I guess the only thing I would ask for then is a tooltip for the Additional Info setting. I thought that setting would display all sorts of advanced info like xyz position, rotation/heading, speed/momentum and other status info that is more meant for a techy super tactical gameplay vibe or as a debug tool for developer use when working with monsters to see if they're working as intended without needing to use console commands.
Revae

Post by Revae »

m8f wrote: For REKKR I fixed names manually.
Which is pretty damn dope, I have to say, and I appreciate the hell out of it. I like the name you gave the last boss too, which is way better than his internal name. There are a few things I noted though. The health mimics/treebeasts have a health bar in their non-alerted state, which makes them less mimic-y (understandable if it's not an easy fix). The hanging gib-able bodies (there are a few variants, I think they're all used in E2M9), the bell, and the faux player that you can gib on E4M9 all have their default doom names. I think that was it though.
Thanks again for making it compatible in the first place!
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

i used this with reelism 3.1 and it crashes ever time i kill something with a cryo weapon.
m8f

Re: [minimod] [v1.4] Target Spy: Health Bars++

Post by m8f »

thedeathrunner123 wrote:i used this with reelism 3.1 and it crashes ever time i kill something with a cryo weapon.
This bug is fixed in v1.1.3. Please download the new version.

Small update: v1.4.
Changelog:
- added an option to hide Target Spy on idle targets. Useful for mods and games that introduce mimics;
- added missing shootable things names for REKKR. Non-shootable decorations remain without proper names, but so do the original doom ones;
- added description to "Additional Info" feature;
- LegenDoom Legendary monsters are no longer marked overhealed.
namsan

Re: [minimod][v1.4] Target Spy: Health Bars++

Post by namsan »

Hey, thanks for keep updating this mod!
I liked target frame feature. I think it adds more sci-fi feel to Doom, at least for me.
Tesculpture

Re: [minimod][v1.4] Target Spy: Health Bars++

Post by Tesculpture »

Would it be possible to hide the Target Spy for enemies standing in a sufficiently dark sector? One reason I stopped using JPHealthbar was because it allowed you to 'cheat' in dark areas, revealing monsters when your aim passed over them.
m8f

Re: [minimod][v1.5] Target Spy: Health Bars++

Post by m8f »

Yes, it is possible, and it is done.

Small update (v1.5). Changes:
- added an option to hide targets in darkness (by default targets are shown in all light levels). Minimal light level is configurable.
- target filters are moved in a separate submenu.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Slight oversight I've found with the new option; there needs to be an second option to override the first if your vision is set to a fixed colourmap (eg by a LightAmp Visor/Invulnerability Sphere). At the moment, targets will not be identified as long as they remain in a dark sector - even if a powerup allows you to see them clearly.
Ahpiox

Post by Ahpiox »

Wow, this mod gets better and better. Good luck!
user19284

Post by user19284 »

Nice addon, thank you very much! will try it out soon :)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm really loving the new target frame feature that was added recently. It even comes with a whole assortment of different styles which all are really cool! :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”