[minimod][v2.0.1] Target Spy: Health Bar on Steroids

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: [minimod] Target Spy [0.10] (health bars +)

Post by m8f »

TheRailgunner wrote:I've noticed that with The Trooper, some monsters do not appear to display a health bar, particularly basic zombies, imps, and other common demonspawn.
Please check Target Spy Options -> Minimal health. It is 300 by default, and it means that Target Spy isn't displayed for monsters with less than 300 health points.

P.S. Only now I noticed a typo in 'Minimal'
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

m8f wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:I've noticed that with The Trooper, some monsters do not appear to display a health bar, particularly basic zombies, imps, and other common demonspawn.
Please check Target Spy Options -> Minimal health. It is 300 by default, and it means that Target Spy isn't displayed for monsters with less than 300 health points.

P.S. Only now I noticed a typo in 'Minimal'
Ah - I see.

I'm very much enjoying Target Spy - in addition to the health bar itself (complete with numeric health display), there's also the secondary crosshair, which I do not mind with The Trooper (I'm probably going to edit the OP on its Projects page to suggest Target Spy as an additional mod to autoload, likely in lieu of TopHPBars).
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

This is a great healthbar mod. :D Great work, m8f.

I've been using this along with autoautosave, and sometimes I get a healthbar for "Autoautosave alert token". I'm guessing they are spawned when alerting several monsters. I'm also guessing they aren't intended to be "spied on". :lol:
m8f

Re: [minimod] Target Spy [0.11] (health bars +)

Post by m8f »

Thanks!

Fixed in update v0.11.
Also this update contains:
- option to show corpse name (note that Objects option should be set to "Everything" for this).
- minimal health can now be entered manually, and now is by default 0 (for new users).
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

I kinda blew this off originally cause I was using Monster Scouter, but this is growing to be much more comprehensive than I thought It'd be. I'm impressed with the amount of options there are in this, and the fact there's a build-a-crosshair section of it as well.

Some suggestions if you care for expansion ideas:
- Make it so you can have the colors can change based on percentages, and possibly have the colors able to be chosen. (If 100% -> 75% be green, 25% -> 0% be red for example.)
- Allow the spacing between the Health Bar/Name/HP numbers to be moved to preference.
- Add an option to have the in-game name be displayed instead of the "proper name". (Have it say Zombieman instead of Former Human)

Great work on this!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

isaacpop23 wrote: - Add an option to have the in-game name be displayed instead of the "proper name". (Have it say Zombieman instead of Former Human)
If I recall correctly, doing this requires a custom-made database that provides the names for each monster, individually. Coldcite made such a database back in the day and its still waiting from an opportunity like this for it to be utilized:

https://github.com/coldcite/DoomActorNameDB
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Really? Huh. I would have thought that the base name would have been the default one to show up. I figured that the fact that they showed up as Former Human meant that he added a check to display as that. So does that mean that you integrated that database into Monster Scouter?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Btw (and I hesitate to ask for this knowing full well it would mean rewriting parts of the code & menus, especially when I already am super satisfied with the mod so this would be essentially just an extra bonus polish that is optional af), if you do end up doing the "select color for 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% HP" thing that isaacpop23 requested, I'd also request two more things on top of that:
  1. Allow a menu setting for the Y cordinate of all 3 crosshair parts individually.
    (Currently, depending the ACSII characters and the selected font, the default coordinates don't always line up, so this would fix that issue while also increasing customization possibilities of the crosshair with overlapping lines.)
  2. Allow changing the colors of the Red-Green dual color mode.
Also thank you for adding the "Kill confirmed" message option, I like how it looks with the mementwo font! :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

isaacpop23 wrote:Really? Huh. I would have thought that the base name would have been the default one to show up. I figured that the fact that they showed up as Former Human meant that he added a check to display as that. So does that mean that you integrated that database into Monster Scouter?
I was supposed to be add the database, but I'm still not having the time to get back to modding, so I never got around to it. The monster scouter mod just directly takes the actor's name as it is in the decorate code.

Wait nevermind I'm an idiot and misread. I thought you meant the opposite lol. I really need to go get some sleep. :oops:

I just went inside the Targetspy.pk3 and yeah indeed, he already does have a database implemented that changes the decorate names to something more formal.
m8f

Re: [minimod] Target Spy [0.12] (health bars +)

Post by m8f »

Update (v0.12):
* added color settings for every used color, including alternative color theme;
* added newline space multiplier option;
* added individual offsets for crosshair parts;
* various minor fixes.

About monster names: now all vanilla monster names correspond to names in obituaries. If somebody wants to see raw target class name, now there is an option: "Internal name".
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

m8f wrote:Update (v0.12):
* added color settings for every used color, including alternative color theme;
* added newline space multiplier option;
* added individual offsets for crosshair parts;
* various minor fixes.
HE'S DONE IT! Thank you! :D :rock:

That was probably the last set of options that I think this mod was missing. It may have just reached perfection now.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Damn, that was fast, thanks! Got to agree with Spaceman, I don't really see anything else this really needs (unless you're getting *really* nitpicky, and even then there's probably not much).
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

There's a slight issue with 0.12. Overhealed enemies can take up to a second or more to change to cyan from tan. I loaded up 0.11 and it works perfect so it's something that changed since then. I use LDL and the legend monsters are overhealed which is why I noticed this.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Oh, thanks for noticing! It's fixed now.

Bugfix update (v0.12.2):
- various color consistency fixes;
- added "Invulnerable" tag to additional target info;
- added VoidField of Colourful Hell's Yellow Cacodemon to blacklist.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

If I could ask one more thing. When I'm playing Guncaster my Draugh buddy will occasionally run in front of my crosshair and I'll think there's an enemy there. If you could add a toggle for friendlies it would be much appreciated from me. Thanks for your quick responses.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”