Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I HAVE MOVED AND THIS PAGE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED!
THIS PAGE WILL NO LONGER HOST UP-TO-DATE CONTENT FOR GUNCASTER VINDICATED!!!

For the current working version of Guncaster Vindicated and all related content, please see the forums post located on Doomworld, or find us on the GCV Discord Server!

"The dragon homeworld, your homeworld, has been destroyed by a greedy and powerful wizard named D'Sparil, and now this pocket of the multiverse is crawling with his looting and pillaging goons. His dark mentor Korax has enslaved neighboring magic-laden dimensions and flooded them with his monstrous minions and devoted bishops. The unstable influence of the Chaos Sphere has awakened ancient evils even in the most distant corners of the multiverse, prompting the actions of demonic cults to seek dominion over their own sections of the cosmos. It's up to you, brave fire-breather, to put these goons in their place, and return the balance of power of magic in multiverse. You're going to need your wits about you, lots of heavy firepower and the force of arcane might to achieve your goals. Will you succeed in your quest, or will you wind up as just another lost name in the wind? Good luck scaled hero, you're going to need it!"

Download the Awesomeness here!
Works with GZDoom 4.7.1

Got questions or just wanna chat? Join the Guncaster Vindicated Discord server!

Like what I'm doing? Want to support me? You can throw your money at me here if you really feel like it.

This mod features special interactions and story to go with the following map packs:
- Heretic
- Hexen
- Extermination Day
- Pirate Doom
(More to come!)

Recommended Mods:
Music -
Xeotroid's Music packs!

Maps -
Doom 2 the way ID Did
The Rebirth
Eviternity
Scythe2
Compendium (Gaming experience may vary)
(More maps to come, I gotta find more time to actually play the game...)

Extras -
Pirate Doom patch for GC Official.

Welcome back to the Second Installment of Guncaster Vindicated! I'm very excited to see what you guys will do with the new amazing content produced by pillowblaster with the Vindicated challenge.

An Introduction for Guncaster fans and newcomers:
Spoiler:
What's new?!?!
-Monsters are faster, smarter, and more deadly than ever before! If you thought this was going to be a casual slaughterfest, be on your guard or you'll be the one getting slaughtered!
-Mini-bosses for DOOM! : These new enemies will show up randomly in the later levels and sport some tremendous firepower and special abilities. They'll show no mercy so be on your game.
-Full new monster pack for heretic and Hexen! : Ready to get Medieval? New monsters for heretic/hexen to include dynamic progression in the same style that is applied to doom. Monsters are quicker, smarter, and more powerful than the old school monsters. New bosses are included for the original heretic/hexen missions.
-Choose your path! DraughSuit and Powersuit are now exclusive powerups that give their own unique feel to the game, with powersuit being more about brute force and playing like a walking tank, Draughsuit is more about quick reflexes and mana/cooldown management to completely avoid damage and slowly scale in power to become a true riftwalking void monster.
-New Abilities : Execute mechanic! When fighting in melee, dropping tougher enemies (more than 200HP) below a certain threshold will trigger a true executing uppercut that will deal tremendously more damage than your basic attacks or non-executing uppercuts. Shockwave: Your stomp with the heavy duty Stompers will now send a bone shattering wall of concussive force at your enemies, the more stompers you have collected, the farther the shockwave will travel! (performing a stomp attack from the air will still trigger the impalers)
-Fight Dirty! : Knock your weaker foes to the ground and give them a beatdown! Uppercuts and kicks will send most human-sized enemies onto their butts. When fighting burlier enemies, launch a well placed kick into their nether regions to leave them writhing in pain while you pound them to mush!
-Dynamic Progession superweapons: Your superweapons (powersuits and BFGs) are contained in a large black weapons case that selects your weapon based on what you already have. No more hoping for a powersuit when you've already collected old dreadful for the 4th time! This new chest will make sure you are granted something that will help you toward your goal of ultimate power every time.
-New special Item effects: Some items have been changed to perform new functions. Try everything out, and check the shop descriptions if you are confused.
-Punching speed re-tuned: base melee seemed too fast and silly to me, so I slowed it down, powersuit melee felt slow and clunky, so I sped it up. Powersuit also features a new style of charged punch that fires an air ripping blast that will tear through enemies.
-Bosses that are vulnerable to certain damage types: Use heavy duty weapons to take down big enemies. When fighting the biggest ugliest smelliest nasties, bring out your Matriarch, Ironblast, and Augur to give them some munitions fit for their size.
-ALL teh immersions!!! : New barrel wielding animations for when you feel the need to fling acid at your foes. Unleash your inner Edgy Boi and taunt your enemies (This has the bonus effect of drawing attention away from vulnerable allies)! Climb into crouchable spaces (cmon... how could I make this compatible with Mark's maps and not let you climb into ventillation ducts ;p). New Dynamically animated player sprites that include sprites for Crouching, Jumping, and even walking while firing your weapon! (holy shit I spent wayyy too much time on these... )
P.S. Whatever you do, don't look down.
-Random Damage be damned : All randomized damage has been removed to allow maximum control of difficulty. Now getting hit still feels like a punishment for screwing up, but doesn't feel like you're being cheated. Now you'll be able to accurately calculate how much damage you can or cannot take.
-Spells Balanced around low mana recovery : New spells will cause HUGE damage, but your mana recovery is slow, so use them wisely.
-Full Dynamic Progression : You will face stronger and naster enemies the further you progress through your favorite map packs! Recurring Nightmare is now fully supported with dynamic progression!
-Monster Customization : New switch in gameplay options to allow you to choose which monsters you'll face if you don't like dynamic progresssion. You can pick all weak monsters if you'd like to just smash everything once you get a powersuit, or all high level monsters if you really really just "Wanna be the Guy". I've even included a setting to play against the OldSchool monsters if you're really into that sort of thing, I took the liberty of re-balancing their attacks as well, so you can get a proper Vindicated experience even from them.
-Fully faithful to Strife : You can still play these other games freely with Guncaster Vindicated, Your weapons and spells should still be able to handle these monsters and their damage shouldn't be too unbearable to play.
-Quick Use Items : Toggleable Riftwalking, quick activation Berserk/Gunzerk/IronlizardPot and much more! just check the Mod controls section!
-Unique Endings for Official Games, Extermination Day, and Pirate Doom!!! Make sure to defeat the final bosses to see them!

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS!!!

Archived Videos
Spoiler:
Weapons Guide:
Spoiler:
Your worst enemies:
Spoiler:
probably FAQs:

Q: How does I run this ting?!?!
A: You'll need to download GZDoom 3.7.2 and you'll need DOOM2.wad to play the included content. You can of course run this using DOOM.wad, Freedoom.wad or any other variant, but to play the included campaign, some flavor of DOOM2 is required. Once you have those files, put them and Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 into the same folder together, and drag the Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 onto the GZDoom executable and off you go. You can also set up a batch file or use the command line to do this.
These methods are described here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/How_to_autoload_files

Q: Do I need the official Guncaster to run this mod?
A: Nope! Guncaster Vindicated is a standalone mod that can be run without any mutators or addons of any sort, and I highly recommend that you don't attempt to run any additional mods alongside this one unless you are certain there will be no conflicts. Most map packs will work fine unless they modify weapons or the player character.

Q: It didn't start! HELP!
A: Run this mod BY ITSELF!!! Do not use mutators or addons (Don't worry, zEpisodic is included), or try disabling them one at a time to find the culprit. If you're still having trouble, try deleting your .ini file in the GZDoom folder.

Q: What if Pillowblaster finds out about this?!?!!
A: He already knows! I've been in close communication with pillowblaster and have his blessing to produce this mod. Pillowblaster if you're out there, I hope you'll give my mod a go and let me know what you think! Someday I hope to be able to produce original content as amazing as yours, Rock on! \m/

Q: I found a bug!
A: Post it here! I can't fix it if I don't know about it. Be very specific, try to give a method on how to reproduce the bug. If it can't be reproduced, it might have been a fluke, or might be very very difficult to find. So please help me help you and give me as many details as possible on any bugs/glitches you find. I am very dedicated to keeping this mod in tip top shape.

Q: I want a switch in the menu to turn off the new monsters!
A: You can find it under there "Here Be Dragons" menu under "Gameplay Options"

Q: You've done something bad and haven't addressed it here! I'm telling on you!
A: If I have failed to credit someone or missed some comment in any mod where you asked me to contact you, forgive me I missed it. Please reach out to me and I will be glad to resolve the issue post-haste. I am not here to step on anyone's toes.

Q: I want to modify your mod and post my results!
A: You need to contact Pillowblaster for permission to make any modification in any way shape or form to this mod or any mod that is derived from Guncaster. That's just common courtesy and if you go rambo and post modifications without asking first, I won't invite you to my birthday party. :(
You should ask me about making changes as well, further details regarding large parts of new code I've added can usually be found in the corresponding files.
Please take a moment to read the following if you're serious about making modifications.

Q: You removed/nerfed X and I want it back! GRRRRRRRRRRR
A: Many things have been changed in this mod to make it much more challenging. I hope you enjoy the skill curve required to tackle this mod! If you're having trouble beating a level/boss, try using powerups like Gunzerk, Berserk, Wyvern Idol, and the Envirosuit... Asbestosuit... Radsuit thing... They will usually help! Don't forget to upgrade yourself using the Red/Green/Blue Syringes and the Tiberium Core. If all else fails, try the game on a lower difficulty setting, I tuned the maximum difficulty setting to be very very hard for me to be able to win.

Q: There are missing spells and I'm super mad at you for removing them!
A: You can cheat to enable the missing spells in the shop. Be aware, I have not balanced the unintended spells in any way whatsoever and they will destroy game balance, and ruin the difficulty I intended this mod to have. If you insist on using the full Official Guncaster spell list anyway, you can enter the following cheat in the console:
Spoiler:
Q: This mod is too hard! I don't have enough mana! I wanna kill ALL ur monsters in one big shot! (kinda already addressed this... but I'll explain moar)
A: This mod is not supposed to be easy or a Power-Fantasy. I have deliberately made this mod difficult and tuned the numbers and timers to make the player think about everything they do, and consider the costs of using that item, or BFG shot, or 200 mana cost spell. You'll be much more proud of that Victory screen if you actually... y'know... worked for it.

Q: Why Can't I have infinite BFG and Dynamite ammo?
A: BFG and Dynamite have their ammo capped at low numbers for balance reasons. I've played through this mod (Guncaster, Project555, Brutal Guncaster, and Guncaster_Vindicated) through DOOM2 enough times to send any sane person to therapy, and in those very early playthroughs, my games effectively ended at MAP08, when I had 90+ Dynamite and 70+ Dreadful shots. At this point in the game, the "game" is over, and you are just going to BFG and Dynamite your way through everything else, breaking any notion of challenge with an audible crack. Sorry, if it bothers you, I have found that this is the most reasonable way to manage these weapons and preserve their power.

Q: Where can I download the old beta version?
A: here:
Old Beta Version
GZDoom 3.3.2

big thanks to all the giants whose shoulders I stood on to make this happen!!!
Pillowblaster and the Guncaster Crew
PA1NKI113R and SGT_Mark_IV
LoisMustDie555 and DoomKrakken
MagSigmaX - Author of ProjectMSX: ProjectMSX

Happy hunting,
-Dino
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 128 times in total.
Kyotra

Re: Guncaster Vindicated [Beta]

Post by Kyotra »

Wait, I thought Black Mass was the map pack coming with Project Brutality?
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Kyotra wrote:Wait, I thought Black Mass was the map pack coming with Project Brutality?
yes it is, the author just mistyped it or forgot about its name and thought of extermination day.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Kyotra wrote:Wait, I thought Black Mass was the map pack coming with Project Brutality?
Thanks for catching that, I wasn't aware of Black Mass and was going with what I found in the PB 3.0 beta.

This mod (Guncaster_Vindicated) will be made compatible with Extermination Day.

Black Mass will require a few more textures and probably some ACS tweaks to make it work properly. I'm not 100% sure about black mass at the moment, it feels very much like Playing DOOM2016, and it would be very well within the power of this mod to be able to complete the campaign, as climbing is a thing in my mod. The feeling I get from Black Mass is very much jump-scare action survival horror and I'm not sure it fits the wild adrenaline junkie feel of Guncaster.

I will think hard about this and maybe make it at least work with Black Mass, no promises on story or anything like that for Black Mass.

Cheers,
-Dino
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I played your mod for several hours, and I think it's quite good!
I especially liked new enemies, because they are adding a fair amount of challenge to the game!
I miss that murderous crow magic from original Guncaster, though... That magic was my favorite.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I have added a new weapon to the mod!

However... It's a secret. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
You should play through and find it!!!

If you're a filthy cheater and would just look anyway... you can see it here:
Spoiler:
EDIT:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////// EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS DEPRECIATED!!! NEW DYNAMIC PLAYER SPRITES HAVE BEEN ADDED AS OF Guncaster Vindicated 1.0 [Release] //////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also, I have updated the player base sprites to a touched up version for testing. Be aware, this is absolutely a quick and dirty patch fix, this is not at all the quality the sprites should be at in ideal circumstances. I am not much of a spriter, but I am trying to improve bit by bit. Consider these a rough draft for future improvement.
//////Old one on the left/////////////////////////New one on the right//////////

These are animated .gif images btw, you can open them in a new tab to see them move.

P.S.

OH SHIT! I totally forgot about the brightmaps on the eyes, fixing. will patch later today. Fixed and uploaded!
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azronical

Post by Azronical »

Dino is quite determined to make this mod the best he can and from what ive seen its been great. Ive done a fair amount of play testing and have found myself consistently entertained despite my very real issue of growing bored easily with stuff. im rather impressed with it.
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

I've been playing it for a few hours and I'm really enjoying it!

I love Guncaster but hate how easy it is, anything that makes it harder is welcome for me. I think I've played most of the mods that make it harder (Project Brutality Guncaster or DoomKraken's Monster Randomizer) but I always got bored quickly, somehow they didn't feel right, this is the first one I really enjoy!

You can tell a lot of love went it rebalancing everything, it's very well executed. I find the "hitscanners" a bit too strong though... Slowing down their tracer projectiles might be a good idea.

I like the movement changes and the ledge grabbing surprisingly fits pretty well. Personally, I don't think the cracking knuckles and middle finger animations fit very well with Guncaster though, feels too much like a copy of Brutal Doom. For example something like sharping his claws instead of cracking his knuckles, or his spell-casting hand burning with magic instead of the middle finger, would be more fitting and unique. Also, the voice taunts don't fit well with the middle finger, in my opinion they should probably be separated, the same way BD has "offend" and "one-liners" on different keys.

Anyway, I'll have some more feedback once I've played it more thoroughly, keep up the good work!

PS: I think GZdoom 3.4 broke your titlepic.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

This is really good! and i hope that you update the mode when Guncaster finally gets updated too. Also try to give the new weapon a better alt fire, iron sights just don't fir the playstyle for guncaster
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

iVoid wrote:PS: I think GZdoom 3.4 broke your titlepic.
Yes it did, I am aware of this. GZDoom 3.4 currently seems to have many bugs. I checked on some forums posts in the technical issues board and the new post for GZDoom 3.4 and found several complaints to go with my own frustrations on the titlepic breaking. I already have a partial fix for the titlepic, as well as some ideas on how to correct it properly from the folks on Project Brutality's discord. However, this fix is still not perfect and causes incompatability with GZDoom 3.3.2.

I will be working diligently to properly resolve this issue, but for now stick to GZDoom 3.3.2 for playing this mod and use GZDoom 3.4 to test for bugs in GZDoom 3.4 itself.
I will likely be designing the next version of this mod specifically for GZDoom 3.4, hopefully the bugs will be gone by then.
iVoid wrote:I find the "hitscanners" a bit too strong though... Slowing down their tracer projectiles might be a good idea.
I may do that, however any reduction in difficulty on these guys will be very very minor. The human enemies are supposed to be very threatening with their guns because they are fragile and die very easily.
iVoid wrote: Personally, I don't think the cracking knuckles and middle finger animations fit very well with Guncaster though, feels too much like a copy of Brutal Doom. For example something like sharping his claws instead of cracking his knuckles, or his spell-casting hand burning with magic instead of the middle finger, would be more fitting and unique. Also, the voice taunts don't fit well with the middle finger, in my opinion they should probably be separated, the same way BD has "offend" and "one-liners" on different keys.
You know what, you're absolutely right! I took some inspiration from Project Brutality while making this. I emulated some things that I liked and ignored things I didn't.

However, I hope to provide some more unique sassy behavior for Cygnis with the release of Guncaster 3.0, and I already have some ideas. These things (like the taunt and knuckle crack) will likely be different (and probably unique to guncaster) when I update this mod to its new fresh 3.0 self.

Oh and I might separate the actual Taunt ability from just being a braggin' dragin'. No promises though.
Ts879 wrote:Also try to give the new weapon a better alt fire, iron sights just don't fir the playstyle for guncaster
Eh... I'm not so sure about that (although Pillowblaster would probably agree with you). Just because Guncaster has a wild and rampaging feel doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to aim and pick off distant enemies on the go. I have some other players who were desperate for some sort of longer distance solution (Longhorn feels eye-squintingly painful to try to snipe with) and this weapon does the trick... for now.

I have a philosophy centered on "is it fun" and I personally have fun with a weapon for every occasion. There are plenty of weapons in the guncaster arsenal for being a bull in a china shop and just breaking everything, this weapon fills a niche for those of us who want to be a little more precise.

Either way its still a secret weapon... not a part of the main line-up, and you probably can't even get this on level packs that don't include a certain enemy.
Ts879 wrote:This is really good! and i hope that you update the mode when Guncaster finally gets updated too.
iVoid wrote:I've been playing it for a few hours and I'm really enjoying it!

I love Guncaster but hate how easy it is, anything that makes it harder is welcome for me. I think I've played most of the mods that make it harder (Project Brutality Guncaster or DoomKraken's Monster Randomizer) but I always got bored quickly, somehow they didn't feel right, this is the first one I really enjoy!

You can tell a lot of love went it rebalancing everything, it's very well executed.

I like the movement changes and the ledge grabbing surprisingly fits pretty well.

Anyway, I'll have some more feedback once I've played it more thoroughly, keep up the good work!
I'm just as excited about Guncaster 3.0 as you guys are and yes this mod will be updated rebuilt around Guncaster 3.0.

I'm glad you folks like it! Your feedback and support is greatly appreciated.

Keep fighting the good fight!!!
-Dino

P.S.
I update this mod frequently, if anything behaves strangely or just if you feel like it, Update to the latest version by clicking the primary download link. I may have added something new without announcing it!
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:
iVoid wrote:I find the "hitscanners" a bit too strong though... Slowing down their tracer projectiles might be a good idea.
I may do that, however any reduction in difficulty on these guys will be very very minor. The human enemies are supposed to be very threatening with their guns because they are fragile and die very easily.
Well, if that's what you were going for then I'd say they're not fragile enough xD For me they feel almost as durable as imps. I mean, when you're starting out you probably only have the Longhorn and the Strucker, and former humans can take a point-blank blast from the Strucker without dying, also they usually attack very fast after seeing you, so you always get some damage, unless you use the Longhorn, which is a precision weapon and I have to be really in the "zone" to get them without taking some damage. Everytime there's a former human around the corner it feels like a fast-draw duel xD and if I miss a single shot they attack so fast that I usually get some damage, and the damage from each former human keeps piling up, specially in higher difficulties. In the end it feels like I'm being encouraged to adopt cover tactics, which doesn't seem like what Guncaster is about. They even fire in bursts and take time to reload, which seems suited to that strategy.
Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:You know what, you're absolutely right! I took some inspiration from Project Brutality while making this. I emulated some things that I liked and ignored things I didn't.

However, I hope to provide some more unique sassy behavior for Cygnis with the release of Guncaster 3.0, and I already have some ideas. These things (like the taunt and knuckle crack) will likely be different (and probably unique to guncaster) when I update this mod to its new fresh 3.0 self.

Oh and I might separate the actual Taunt ability from just being a braggin' dragin'. No promises though.
Cool =) and who knows, there might even be new taunt animations in 3.0
Ts879 wrote:Also try to give the new weapon a better alt fire, iron sights just don't fir the playstyle for guncaster
I think I agree. Guncaster is meant to be played with crosshairs, which makes the iron sights a bit redundant in my opinion.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Just out of curiosity, did you do any balancing for Heretic?

I was giving it a try and even Undead Warriors are total bullet sponges requiring up to eight shotgun rounds to kill.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

I took a look in the pk3, and it turns out that the strucker's damage has been reduced from 6.0*random(1.0, 3.0) to just 6.0. Just for anyone wondering why the shotgun is so weak.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Just tried this, and damn is this MOD hard... My only real gripe with this so far is I think the zombies need their damage toned down a bit, they tear me up more than the bigger enemies do, and there's so many of them.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Wivicer wrote:I took a look in the pk3, and it turns out that the strucker's damage has been reduced from 6.0*random(1.0, 3.0) to just 6.0. Just for anyone wondering why the shotgun is so weak.
Ahah!

Thanks for picking that out.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”