Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 1.4

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

ate0ate wrote:Woohoo update! You know, I feel terribly about my prior stance on the spells you removed. While I don't think the toggle option actually hurts anything gameplay-wise, unless of course you toggle the spells back on, I must admit that your initial decision to not include them at all was probably the right one. Having played much more of unmodified Guncaster 3.1 now I can safely say that the power fantasy playstyle is not exactly my cup of tea either. I can definitely understand the joy someone could get from it, and the catharsis, but it does indeed make the more serious gamer in me cringe a bit. Adding DoomKrakken's monster randomizer helps a bit, but just a bit. To be perfectly honest I have found Guncaster Vindicated to be the most enjoyable, and rewarding, Guncaster experience I have personally had. Thank you for your work!
That's great! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this. I hope you'll enjoy what's to come, I have a special surprise in store for you folks and it should be ready very soon. Stay tuned ;)
FraxGamer wrote: There's a pentagram made outta 666s and some creepy words.
It sorta looks like a comic I read where a necromancer puts a similiar thing in the code without the //'s and is able to control those who use the programs embedded with such code.
We aren't really a necromancer, we are the neuromancer, and we aren't in control of those who use this program, we are in control of all who see the symbol. Welcome to the swarm! Soon all the bases will be loaded and the wack-a-doodle will fall into place, then we can finally hack the Gibson! bwahahahaha!
user5124 wrote:Fantastic update- the statue shopkeeper and his commentary add a lot of personality and flavour, and also help you feel you're not alone in the doom universe. I like it.

Found one bug, can't get past map09 in gd.wad. It's a very short map, but the triggers in the map don't seem to work.
Pillowblaster's shopkeeper is pretty awesome, be sure you show him some love in the Official Guncaster thread!

If you can, please provide a video recording of the bug in question and a description of how the map is supposed to work. If you can do this I might be able to provide a solution. No promises though.
WolfMann wrote:So.

After playing Guncaster for a good ole lot of hours (thank you Day Off for the time to do so) I can clearly see how amazing this mod variation is.

But then the blood was gone... and I was sad.
But then I picked up the Augur... and I was happy.
And then I got the Ole Dreadful... and I was happier than those smiley fish crackers.

PS: ARMATA STRIGOI ftw.
Glad you're enjoying it so far, I hope you'll stick around for more content to come in the near future!

The gore is now fixed! oh... and by the way UPDATE!!!

List of most of the changes:
Spoiler:
I hope you folks are all still enjoying this mod as much as I am. If you have gameplay videos, feel free to post them here! Share with us your adventures!

RAWR!
-Dino
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

A quick playthrough of it with 3.5.0 gave me the following results.
-The Gore is back, yay!!........ Only on a few unit types and only if their death is... boomy. But hey! It's back!
-I played Doom 1 Episode 1 and found myself unable to change to any other weapon or spell in map 2 after some time. I was stuck with the Longhorn.
-I found myself unable to turn on my DergVision even though I had it on infinite.
-I feel like I'm taking too much damage from the grunts. Like, two far away volleys of shotguns and I lost 30 hp.
-The mod still feels very amazing!!

And that's about it.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

WolfMann wrote:A quick playthrough of it with 3.5.0 gave me the following results.
-The Gore is back, yay!!........ Only on a few unit types and only if their death is... boomy. But hey! It's back!
I'm unable to find any unit type that doesn't produce brutal gore.

Here is a video of pretty much every enemy:
Spoiler:
The only ones that do not produce gore are the lost soul and its variant, which are not supposed to produce gore since they are just flying skull heads.
If you can specify which enemies are not producing proper gore and provide video of them that would be very helpful.
WolfMann wrote:-I played Doom 1 Episode 1 and found myself unable to change to any other weapon or spell in map 2 after some time. I was stuck with the Longhorn.
Yea, this is an issue, I'll try to find a good way to fix this if I can. It happens very rarely and isn't specific to any particular map, it's something to do with the Zooming of the weapon, and that effect failing to normalize and let you switch weapons. I'll fix it in the next update.

EDIT: Are you using Gunslinger mode or Gunzerk? If you are, I know exactly what's causing it.
WolfMann wrote:-I found myself unable to turn on my DergVision even though I had it on infinite.
Open the console (default key for this is ` ) and type

Code: Select all

use visiontoggler
then press enter. If this works, you probably just need to keybind Dergovision.

If it's still not working, try deleting your .ini file and start the game again. If it still doesn't work, let me know.
WolfMann wrote:-I feel like I'm taking too much damage from the grunts. Like, two far away volleys of shotguns and I lost 30 hp.
If you're playing on the highest difficulty, you are going to be punished for being hit by anything at all.

If you have Guncaster.pk3 and Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 in the same folder be sure you readjust the "Damage Taken" and "Damage Given" sliders in the "Here be Dragons" "Gameplay Options" menu. If you have played Guncaster Official and changed it to make you take more damage in order to make the official version more challenging, that setting will be kept in Guncaster_Vindicated if they are sharing the same .ini configuration file (aka, if both are in the same folder with GZDoom). Make sure those damage sliders are set to 1.0 in order to get the ideal game experience.

If that fails, delete your .ini file (it sounds like it may be jacked up anyway) and try again.
WolfMann wrote:-The mod still feels very amazing!!
Thanks a bunch!

I'm having fun
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

-I feel like I'm taking too much damage from the grunts. Like, two far away volleys of shotguns and I lost 30 hp.
They are glass cannons. Never stand still in 1 place unless you are behind cover, or fight them in the open without a suit on or they will Swiss cheese you in seconds. And if you are fighting a large horde with those guys mixed in, kill them first before anything else if possible.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote: They are glass cannons. Never stand still in 1 place unless you are behind cover, or fight them in the open without a suit on or they will Swiss cheese you in seconds. And if you are fighting a large horde with those guys mixed in, kill them first before anything else if possible.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

hey, quick question. am i allowed to request stuff that COULD be added in next or far after updates?
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

thedeathrunner123 wrote:hey, quick question. am i allowed to request stuff that COULD be added in next or far after updates?
You can make suggestions or requests if you like. Just do yourself a favor and be sure to check the FAQ and previous posts first, you may be requesting/suggesting something I have already addressed or that has already been suggested or may already be implemented.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

ok. Is there maybe a way you could implement a way to pickup enemies and use them as shields? or maybe as a weapon to throw at other enemies? sort of like how bdv21 did it.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

Is there any way to un-invert mouse movement when in the shop? I suspect a lot of players who use invert mouse might not also want it to be inverted when shopping.. :?:
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

user5124 wrote:Is there any way to un-invert mouse movement when in the shop? I suspect a lot of players who use invert mouse might not also want it to be inverted when shopping.. :?:
Here be Dragons menu > Convenience Options > Invert Mouse
thedeathrunner123 wrote:ok. Is there maybe a way you could implement a way to pickup enemies and use them as shields? or maybe as a weapon to throw at other enemies? sort of like how bdv21 did it.
I toyed with this idea a little bit, but decided it really doesn't fit the character.
Torturing your enemies and using them as meatshields just doesn't feel like a "Guncaster" sort of game mechanic. Not to mention all the spritework this would entail as well as some additional scripting gymnastics plus a lot of work trying to balance such a thing.

I'll have to pass on this one, if you feel the need to throw things at your enemies there's always the barrels, those have special animations in this version of Guncaster.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I thought Chillgrasp was the way to use enemies as meat shields!
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Zhs2 wrote:I thought Chillgrasp was the way to use enemies as meat shields!

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about chillgrasp, looks like something that sort of does this is already in the game!

It's disabled by default in Vindicated because it's honestly pretty unfair to be able to stunlock cyberdemons like that. You can still cheat to unlock it in the store, or you can enjoy your meatshielding + enemy tossing fantasies in the Official Guncaster!

(Check the FAQ section of the OP for the cheat code if you want it.)
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I can't turn off the strat of the Strucker shotgun for unknown reason.
I used Gunzerker item before this, but I haven't encountered this bug until now despite I use Gunzerker item regularly.
I'm using GZDOOM 3.5.1, and GV 1.4.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 1.5

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Just updated to 1.5
Here is a list of some of the things I've fixed up:
Spoiler:
Have fun folks, hope you are still enjoying this. I have something big planned coming up very soon, stay tuned.
namsan wrote:I can't turn off the strat of the Strucker shotgun for unknown reason.
I used Gunzerker item before this, but I haven't encountered this bug until now despite I use Gunzerker item regularly.
I'm using GZDOOM 3.5.1, and GV 1.4.
I haven't encountered this bug ever before, I will do some extensive testing on this and try to reproduce it, however, without a solid repeatable way to re-produce the bug It is unlikely that I will be able to fix it in a timely manner if this is not a fluke.
Fureyon

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 1.5

Post by Fureyon »

Came back to watch the video, loved it!

This definitely gives me some ideas about how to employ the draughsuit. Our playstyles are pretty different.
Dunno if I should wait for "something big" or not though :P
Monster Hunter has kind of consumed my time for the past few weeks...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”