Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.9.3

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Regios wrote:Any plans to add the items from the add-on? The Mourning Glory, the Golden Emperor and the Deadmaker Mask?
Mourning Glory & Golden Emperor: No
DeadMaker Mask: Yes (It's already added)
Regios

Post by Regios »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:
Regios wrote:Any plans to add the items from the add-on? The Mourning Glory, the Golden Emperor and the Deadmaker Mask?
Mourning Glory & Golden Emperor: No
DeadMaker Mask: Yes (It's already added)
Fair enough! Time to take it for a spin, then!
affandede

Post by affandede »

Can we dream for DRPG SE compatibility? Man, that would be awesome af.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

I really like the new improvements to the dragon menu. Each update makes this better.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.0.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updated to version 3.0.0

What's new?
- Brand new enemies and behaviors for enemies in hexen, complete with new attacks, new interactions with the player, new animations and artwork, and of course, new AI.
- Weather system implemented and refined. Made to be super efficient and immersive!
- New artifact added. Boosts the power of your shotguns for a short period of time when used.
- New voice acting for Korax as well as a brand new spin on his final battle. I wanted to incorporate the spirit of the old korax fight and give it a new spin. Special interactions with the player of course ;)
- Brand new nemesis style bosses for hexen, and new AI and attacks for the Class "Masters"
- Multiplayer script to facilitate automatic respawning of players when all participants are killed with the "NORESPAWN" flag active. This prevents the need to reload a save every single time your party wipes.
- New level added for heretic, this level was made for the boss "Bodormu the Traitor" to make his battle and level leading up to it more tailored to the experience I was trying to bring.
- Improvements to the Longhorn and Pulverizer to make the weapons more fun to use.
- Heretic monsters rebalanced to be less "bullet spongy." They're still super deadly due to their aggression and attacks, but they won't be able to take quite as much punishment as before.
- Many many particle effects have been re-designed to use only GC resources. This is part of the ongoing effort to refine the mod and trim out unnecessary sprites and replace confusing code with more flexible and maintainable code.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Awesome! Been itching to play Hexen, might do it with this MOD!
affandede

Post by affandede »

Twenty years from now on, video games and mods will be considered as art and this will be the Da Vinci of this shit.
Last edited by affandede on Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Awesome! Been itching to play Hexen, might do it with this MOD!
Hey! Good to see you again. Hope you have fun, and let me know what you think of it.
affandede wrote:Twenty years from now on, video games and mods will be considered as mods and this will be the Da Vinci of this shit.
That's quite the complement, thanks much!
To answer the question you posted on the thread about the Universal Adapter, that was an issue with Vindicated in specific, I have fixed the dog sprites in this update, so now you can see the proper green demons in Eviternity.
affandede

Post by affandede »

I've meant to say that video games and mods will be considered as "art". That was an odd phrase without the word art, phew. Good to know you still understood tho.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.0.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Posting a quick hotfix:

- Fixed a bug where korax would die to falling damage
- big bosses can no longer be skypunched
- fixed sounds of moving walls in some special maps
- fixed lightning to be less spammy on some hexen levels
- fixed bad sprites on Ice Liches in Heretic
- fixed a rare VM abort that may occur on hexen
- fixed a bug where an important object at the end of hexen was killable and manipulateable in ways it shouldn't be.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Alright I finished this on Hexen, time for some feedback.

The new additions to the maps and bosses were quite good. Also surprised that you stuck with the mana system instead of doing random drops on the floor like Doom. The final boss fight was pretty neat, also hilarious that Korax is immune to Old Dreadful (you should probably do that for all bosses.) As usual there are some bugs or glitches:

1. The lightning storm sounds were on a constant repeat in some areas, which at certain volumes can overwhelm the game's music. There was also this weird thwack sound I kept hearing as well which I assume is supposed to be a lightning strike? I never see it, only hear it. Kind of annoying to hear cus I think something is trying to attack me, but did my best to tune it out.

2. The black chests I think are bugged. After I had gotten the power suit from them, it kept giving me Gladius Barrels non-stop and no other chests would appear after that. This resulted in me beating the game with very minimal equipment.

3. Mana consumption became a problem at the later half of the game when fighting the tougher enemies in mass quantity. If it weren't for the power suit and its high melee damage output, I would be mana-starved throughout Hub 4 and 5.

4. Money gains felt kinda stingy through the game, it isn't possible to buy everything, let alone half the inventory in the game without cheesing tele-traps.

5. The potion drops seemed a little excessive since the discs were turned into Rejuvenation Potions. It would be great if there was like a 5, 10, 15, 20 percent chance that a different item will appear in place of Quartz Flask and Disc spawns.

6. Since you don't seem to take any fall damage and can break falls, the death traps by falling are pretty pointless. An idea to remedy this would be to have anything that falls down into a pit be teleported to a specified location. This will help loot any money or items that fall without having to use noclip to retrieve them or escape in general if you do manage to fall down.

7. The Dark Bishops were extremely annoying to deal with, they need to have their speed toned down a bit. It makes sense for the Afrits to do that, but these guys are a little too tanky to be moving this fast making it a very un-fun chore to get rid of them.

8. The serpents could use a small increase in movement speed. Them being so sluggish made them way too easy to dispatch.

9. Centaur ground slam causes in-fighting and they don't deal any damage to each other. There were some rare moments when I have seen Ettins, Serpents, and Bishops go at each other, but I have no idea what can cause that to happen.

10. On the subject of Centaurs, I found it weird that they can't block any attacks except from the Ironblast. For some reason they are immune to it when they are blocking.

11. The throne room behind the axe door is bugged and won't open all of the doors after defeating the serpents. I had to use noclip to kill the remaining enemies and then access the portal.

12. Wherever you had spheres spawn, every sphere found was a Wizard's Eye (which is useless.)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Valherran wrote:6. Since you don't seem to take any fall damage and can break falls, the death traps by falling are pretty pointless. An idea to remedy this would be to have anything that falls down into a pit be teleported to a specified location. This will help loot any money or items that fall without having to use noclip to retrieve them or escape in general if you do manage to fall down.
There is a (probably little known) "teleport to start" feature in base Guncaster and probably this mod too, by that virtue. There is a keybind for it by that name in the menu, or you can use "pukename StartTeleport" in console. Or, if you don't prefer to wait for the teleport spinup, you can do "give artiteleport; use artiteleport" for the same effect.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I really should consider completely playing through Hexen... I remember getting some kind of ice kingdom or something... Or elemental rooms. I don't remember getting further from that level.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:The final boss fight was pretty neat, also hilarious that Korax is immune to Old Dreadful (you should probably do that for all bosses.)
you should totally try taunting korax (the offend taunt) ;)
Valherran wrote: 1. The lightning storm sounds were on a constant repeat in some areas, which at certain volumes can overwhelm the game's music. There was also this weird thwack sound I kept hearing as well which I assume is supposed to be a lightning strike? I never see it, only hear it. Kind of annoying to hear cus I think something is trying to attack me, but did my best to tune it out.
Fixed this in 3.0.1
Valherran wrote: 2. The black chests I think are bugged. After I had gotten the power suit from them, it kept giving me Gladius Barrels non-stop and no other chests would appear after that. This resulted in me beating the game with very minimal equipment.
Yep... that's a problem I'll fix it. I also think I need to just manually place the black chests with my eventhandler and map enhancement system. It seems like in multiplayer they get jacked up and there aren't enough, and in single player there are wayyyy too many.
Valherran wrote: 3. Mana consumption became a problem at the later half of the game when fighting the tougher enemies in mass quantity. If it weren't for the power suit and its high melee damage output, I would be mana-starved throughout Hub 4 and 5.
I didn't have this problem.
When I did multiplayer with my bud who always whines about being totally out of ammo, hexen was actually the first time he was feeling like he didn't have ammo problems at all
(with the exception of heretic augur overload).
Valherran wrote: 4. Money gains felt kinda stingy through the game, it isn't possible to buy everything, let alone half the inventory in the game without cheesing tele-traps.
This is intentional, because every time I do a playthrough I kept ending up with so much cash that I'd just max out berserk/gunzerk over and over again, or just keep refreshing deadmaker. I don't really want the player to be able to buy EVERYTHING in the shop because that would eliminate the whole rogue-like aspect of random drops from chests/bosses/enemies/artefacts/etc... It would also make the player so brokenly overpowered that around map 20 that you just buy things to breeze through the last levels without having to even try.

This is the hard part of making the gameplay progression based. People complain about this mod saying "Oh, it's just nerfed guncaster" but in the end... the GCV Powersuit and Draughsuit are actually stronger than the official versions in the realm of damage, and probably on-par with their speed. So I've gotta try to hold back somewhere.
Valherran wrote: 5. The potion drops seemed a little excessive since the discs were turned into Rejuvenation Potions. It would be great if there was like a 5, 10, 15, 20 percent chance that a different item will appear in place of Quartz Flask and Disc spawns.
Agreed.
I plan to replace them with gems.
Valherran wrote: 6. Since you don't seem to take any fall damage and can break falls, the death traps by falling are pretty pointless. An idea to remedy this would be to have anything that falls down into a pit be teleported to a specified location. This will help loot any money or items that fall without having to use noclip to retrieve them or escape in general if you do manage to fall down.
Zhs2 wrote:
Valherran wrote:6. Since you don't seem to take any fall damage and can break falls, the death traps by falling are pretty pointless. An idea to remedy this would be to have anything that falls down into a pit be teleported to a specified location. This will help loot any money or items that fall without having to use noclip to retrieve them or escape in general if you do manage to fall down.
There is a (probably little known) "teleport to start" feature in base Guncaster and probably this mod too, by that virtue. There is a keybind for it by that name in the menu, or you can use "pukename StartTeleport" in console. Or, if you don't prefer to wait for the teleport spinup, you can do "give artiteleport; use artiteleport" for the same effect.
This trick still works in my version, I've tweaked it a little bit to be more difficult to abuse, but it does still work. (@Zhs2 I'm sure you can guess who was abusing it that made me feel the need to adjust it.)
As for losing coins in a pit, uhhhh... I'd just say that's tough luck. In most platformer games if items go into a pit you just lose em.
Valherran wrote: 7. The Dark Bishops were extremely annoying to deal with, they need to have their speed toned down a bit. It makes sense for the Afrits to do that, but these guys are a little too tanky to be moving this fast making it a very un-fun chore to get rid of them.
I'd probably agree with you here as well.
I'll see about making them less healthy.
Valherran wrote: 8. The serpents could use a small increase in movement speed. Them being so sluggish made them way too easy to dispatch.
hm... I'm worried they'll be too annoying, but I might toy with their speed a little
Valherran wrote: 9. Centaur ground slam causes in-fighting and they don't deal any damage to each other. There were some rare moments when I have seen Ettins, Serpents, and Bishops go at each other, but I have no idea what can cause that to happen.
I'll look into it.
Valherran wrote: 10. On the subject of Centaurs, I found it weird that they can't block any attacks except from the Ironblast. For some reason they are immune to it when they are blocking.
I may try to make the hitbox bigger, it's likely that they are blocking matriarch as well but it is explosive so it does damage anyway, and Augur/dreadful are rippers.
Valherran wrote: 11. The throne room behind the axe door is bugged and won't open all of the doors after defeating the serpents. I had to use noclip to kill the remaining enemies and then access the portal.
This I think is a problem inherent to hexen itself ( as seen here under "BUGS"), I used a ZScript trick to force the exit area to open so that the player wouldn't be stuck. I'll apply the same trick to the wizard areas as well.
Valherran wrote: 12. Wherever you had spheres spawn, every sphere found was a Wizard's Eye (which is useless.)
I'll check into this, but I think that's intentional for Wizard eyes to spawn there, they replace torches I think.
Wizard eyes refresh your nightvision.
Apteral10 wrote:I really should consider completely playing through Hexen... I remember getting some kind of ice kingdom or something... Or elemental rooms. I don't remember getting further from that level.
Lots of folks (myself included) got really frustrated with the stupid original hexen Wendigos (Ice Guys) in the area you're talking about and many might quit and not wanna play again.

I've re-made the monster and I feel like he's much less of a jerk now ;)
So if you decide to give it a go, I hope you have fun!
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

you should totally try taunting korax (the offend taunt) ;)
I am totally gonna do it next run, thanks for the tip. heh
I didn't have this problem.
When I did multiplayer with my bud who always whines about being totally out of ammo, hexen was actually the first time he was feeling like he didn't have ammo problems at all
(with the exception of heretic augur overload).
It may have been the Bishops that drained me when trying to hit them (cus there are so fkin many), when the next version is out I will try again and see how my consumption goes.
This is intentional, because every time I do a playthrough I kept ending up with so much cash that I'd just max out berserk/gunzerk over and over again, or just keep refreshing deadmaker. I don't really want the player to be able to buy EVERYTHING in the shop because that would eliminate the whole rogue-like aspect of random drops from chests/bosses/enemies/artefacts/etc... It would also make the player so brokenly overpowered that around map 20 that you just buy things to breeze through the last levels without having to even try.

This is the hard part of making the gameplay progression based. People complain about this mod saying "Oh, it's just nerfed guncaster" but in the end... the GCV Powersuit and Draughsuit are actually stronger than the official versions in the realm of damage, and probably on-par with their speed. So I've gotta try to hold back somewhere.
Oh, if that's intentional then nevermind, though a little bit of increase couldn't hurt for the 1st half of the game though.
Apteral10 wrote:
I really should consider completely playing through Hexen... I remember getting some kind of ice kingdom or something... Or elemental rooms. I don't remember getting further from that level.
Lots of folks (myself included) got really frustrated with the stupid original hexen Wendigos (Ice Guys) in the area you're talking about and many might quit and not wanna play again.

I've re-made the monster and I feel like he's much less of a jerk now ;)
So if you decide to give it a go, I hope you have fun!
Oof, yeah, those guys were pretty broken with that Icy flak rocket they spam. They can burst you down at full HP/Armor within 3 seconds, even more so on the hardest setting which made every enemy with a projectile a sentry turret with unlimited ammo. My advice to you, save before entering any portal in the 1st hub if you don't know where you will find them, otherwise save before encountering them. They aren't so bad in this MOD, so no need to panic or save-cheese.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”