Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Plonkett wrote:Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 5:
Expected '}', got 'setsectoroffset'.
How do I fix this?
Looks like an error with GZDoom, try using GZDoom 3.5.1 (I promise to start testing with 3.6.0 asap, I apologize for my tardiness on this one.)

you can download GZDoom 3.5.1 here

then be sure you delete your .ini file, and download the latest version of Guncaster Vindicated, found in the OP of this thread.

if none of that works, start from scratch and follow the steps in this video EXACTLY.
video posted in spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you are still having trouble after doing all this (or if you just wanna be social), join the Guncaster Vindicated discord server and I'll help troubleshoot the issue further.
Entruss

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3 -- Are all the levels loading?

Post by Entruss »

Hi all,

Sorry if im newb and you all know how to load the campaign properly... But I've just completed it and unfortunately was only able to play around 21 original maps.
I am getting an error on trying to load portal labs for example, that follows with undisclosed loop in sector 212 at position (6132, 1588). Then every 5 lvls its the same thing until lvl 24 where the maps are replayed from stronghold onwards till lvl 30 which was pretty impressive as it did load correctly. Hah one shot it within 5 secs was alittle anti-climatic hahaha... but had to limit myself for a better challenge.

Only started playing yesterday and man... Great game... Seriously awesome can't believe i didn't start messing around with mods for doom years ago... what a nob-- lulz!!! I just have an itchy trigger finger now for some more of those awesome original maps that you made dino... with GCV 2.3 and man.... Before I started 2.3 I tested out your BD 555 experiment. Was hooked from there... It's taking me forever to figure out what the heck is going on though.... But im on solid ground now finaly.... And just can't get enough!!!! Havn't been this hooked on doom since D64 was released all those years back... Even then not much of a comparsion in terms of fun... This is just short of legendary! Imo atleast.

So slap... dont slap me... hope yall have a great day!
~Cheers
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3 -- Are all the levels loading?

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Entruss wrote:Hi all,
Sorry if im newb and you all know how to load the campaign properly... But I've just completed it and unfortunately was only able to play around 21 original maps.
I am getting an error on trying to load portal labs for example, that follows with undisclosed loop in sector 212 at position (6132, 1588). Then every 5 lvls its the same thing until lvl 24 where the maps are replayed from stronghold onwards till lvl 30 which was pretty impressive as it did load correctly. Hah one shot it within 5 secs was alittle anti-climatic hahaha... but had to limit myself for a better challenge.
If you're having errors, please let me know your load order for mods.
-Which mods are you loading?
-What maps are you trying to play?
-what version of GZDoom are you using?
etc...
Give me very specific details so I can attempt the exact same thing and see if I can make the game crash for me as well, if I can't break it, I can't fix it.
Entruss wrote: Only started playing yesterday and man... Great game... Seriously awesome can't believe i didn't start messing around with mods for doom years ago... what a nob-- lulz!!! I just have an itchy trigger finger now for some more of those awesome original maps that you made dino... with GCV 2.3 and man....
I'm glad you're having fun, I play my own mod all the gime, that's why I put so much love into it. The Guncaster team is a group of great folks who brought new joy into my life with their mod. I can't thank them enough for giving me the inspiration to take this as far as it's gone.
Entruss wrote: Before I started 2.3 I tested out your BD 555 experiment. Was hooked from there...
If you're referring to Project 555 Guncaster that was not mine.
If you're referring to the beta version of this mod that is very very loosely based on that mod and primarily on Guncaster 2.8, you can find it here
GCV_OldBeta
Entruss wrote: It's taking me forever to figure out what the heck is going on though.... But im on solid ground now finaly.... And just can't get enough!!!! Havn't been this hooked on doom since D64 was released all those years back... Even then not much of a comparsion in terms of fun... This is just short of legendary! Imo atleast.

So slap... dont slap me... hope yall have a great day!
~Cheers
This mod is extremely complex... I'm working on a couple of different ways I hope to use to teach the player about all the features of the mod. I'm not going to reveal exactly what I'm up to, but lets just say I'm working on a project to help new players and old players enjoy all the things Guncaster Vindicated has to offer.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, or concerns or just wanna chat about the mod in general, feel free to join the Guncaster Vindicated discord server linked in the above post, I need to put that on the OP.

I'm so glad this mod is making you happy. Pillowblaster and his crew are my heroes. Guncaster Vindicated is made from the blood, sweat and tears of my passion that was awakened by their masterpiece.
Entruss

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3

Post by Entruss »

Hi Dino,

I am currently using Gzdoom master g3.7pre-210-g9661 -- I have a folder of shortcuts for mods now -- I am using the following for GC Vindicated to play your levels. "E:\retro\DOOM 2\gzdoom.exe" -file doom2.wad -file Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 --- It's probably my version of GZdoom. I just like this version incase i try other mods.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you busy playing GCV on Resurge maps.. Still prefer your maps, but hey more GC is more GC.

Lastly i can't seem to figure out how to keep the lighting Longhorn strat on my pistol to stay on. After a few shots I have to keep re-enabling it in the shop menu. Have i messed up a setting?

Can't join discord atm, will annoy the crap outta peeps with my fan, as it is summer here in RSA and won't be getting AC for awhile... Hot as balls... but soon hopefully soon.

Oh I see.... I just read an article about the Brutal doom experiment and the 555 experiment and started playing around from there and googling put me way back and had to keep trying all these mods till I finaly caught up with this little gem!!! No matter!!! I am soooo glad I found it... Where's Caco awards!? Pillowblaster deserves one For realz!

GL!
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.4

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Guncaster Vindicated Updated to version 2.4
Spoiler:
This version brings back the old STG-44 and Judgement spells from the Guncaster Vindicated beta from earlier this year before the release of Guncaster 3.0.
Spoiler:
Entruss wrote:Hi Dino,

I am currently using Gzdoom master g3.7pre-210-g9661 -- I have a folder of shortcuts for mods now -- I am using the following for GC Vindicated to play your levels. "E:\retro\DOOM 2\gzdoom.exe" -file doom2.wad -file Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 --- It's probably my version of GZdoom. I just like this version incase i try other mods.
I have no idea what version of GZDoom that is. Let me know your version number.
Guncaster Vindicated requires at least GZDoom 3.4.1 to work properly, otherwise there may be some graphics that don't display properly (like the title menu).
Entruss wrote: Sorry to take so long to get back to you busy playing GCV on Resurge maps.. Still prefer your maps, but hey more GC is more GC.
Nothing wrong with trying out other map packs, that's what's so great about these mods, the fun doesn't have to end just because you completed the official levels.

If you want a new experience, you should definitely try playing Guncaster Vindicated with Heretic.wad
It comes with all new monsters, music and boss fights.
Entruss wrote: Lastly i can't seem to figure out how to keep the lighting Longhorn strat on my pistol to stay on. After a few shots I have to keep re-enabling it in the shop menu. Have i messed up a setting?
The longhorn strat costs mana to use. Every shot takes 20 mana to fire. If you don't have enough mana, the strat will turn itself off and fire a normal bullet.
To re-enable the strat, use the "Toggle Strat (Reload)" button. If you haven't keybound it, you'll need to do that.
When you have the longhorn equipped, the "Toggle Strat (Reload)" button will let you aim down the sights of the longhorn which is extremely useful for sniping far away enemies.
While aiming down the sights, use the "Alt Fire" keybinding which would normally cast a spell to activate the Longhorn Strat.

This is the same way you must activate the strat for the Augur and for the New Secret weapon which was just added in version 2.4
Entruss wrote: Can't join discord atm, will annoy the crap outta peeps with my fan, as it is summer here in RSA and won't be getting AC for awhile... Hot as balls... but soon hopefully soon.
You don't have to use voice chat, most of us don't, we mostly just type and ask questions or talk about the game.
As soon as finals are over and christmas break begins, I'm going to start trying to get people involved in some multiplayer co-op games to help test new map packs to ensure compatibility.
Entruss wrote: Oh I see.... I just read an article about the Brutal doom experiment and the 555 experiment and started playing around from there and googling put me way back and had to keep trying all these mods till I finaly caught up with this little gem!!! No matter!!! I am soooo glad I found it... Where's Caco awards!? Pillowblaster deserves one For realz!

GL!
I agree with you, I plan to nominate The Guncaster for a cacoaward this year, if I can figure out how to do that.
I'm very glad that you're enjoying this and having fun.
Try out all the map packs you like, and don't forget to give heretic a try.
Update your GZDoom to version 3.5.1 (I'm starting tests of 3.6.0, sorry all for my tardiness on this one), and if you ever encounter any bugs or errors, let me know what mods you are using, load order, etc... and I'll help debug it. Debugging is much easier with the real-time communication of discord though, even text communication is super quick.
ate0ate

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.4

Post by ate0ate »

Hey Dino, thanks for the update. Also, the version of GZDoom that Entruss mentioned above is version 3.7.0. Its prerelease only right now and he was using build 210. It is already up to build 281 and for me version 2.4 of Vindicated is working just fine. I checked the later of levels of the campaign and everything from level 20 onward loaded as intended. Don't know if that's useful in any way but...
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.5

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Guncaster 2.5 released
now with moar blood 'n guts

pretty much this just cleans up the gore code to look all nice and pretty, It adds colored blood for a few enemies and includes a new ready to run default keybinds file that will let you get right to the action with settings that make GZDoom look beautiefulz!

Hope you folks enjoy!
Rip and tear and all that...
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.5.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

patch update.

details can be found here:
Spoiler:
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.6.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating the mod to version 2.6
This time we're finally updating our monsters to make use of ZScript for clenliness and improved AI features. I've made simple changes to the monster AI in order to make the monsters more precise with their attacks and more reactive to player aggression.
I've also updated the player sprite's movement animations to be more responsive, these new functions check every single game tick for things like crouching/jumping, and firing in order to improve the multiplayer feel of the game.
Map enhancement decorations by SGT_Mark have been ported to Plutonia and TNT maps, the map enhancement system code has also been re-written into a much safer format for both readability and compatibility with other mods.
Taunt (offend) code has been completely re-made to now be a self-contained action independent of any hacky projectiles. It should now be extremely responsive and stable.
Several bugs have been fixed as well that were causing bad behavior with certain maps.

I hope you all continue to enjoy this mod! It's a real blast to work with Pillowblaster and his team, there super cool folks, and Guncaster is a mod that brings me a tremendous amount of joy. Thanks again to everyone who makes this possible! -Dino

mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Wanted to say this is probably my favorite way of playing Guncaster, so thanks for making this :D

However I did find a bug with the map enhancements. When getting to E3M3 in Ultimate Doom (Pandemonium) there are a lot of missing textures. The only mods I have active is Guncaster Vindicated, a music mod, and an autosave mod.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Wanted to say this is probably my favorite way of playing Guncaster, so thanks for making this :D
Awesome! I'm glad you enjoy it
mamaluigisbagel wrote:However I did find a bug with the map enhancements. When getting to E3M3 in Ultimate Doom (Pandemonium) there are a lot of missing textures. The only mods I have active is Guncaster Vindicated, a music mod, and an autosave mod.
I'll be damned... I must have screwed up my tests somehow. Thanks for the bug report, I'm planning to release a patch fix for all these little bugs here in about a week or so, so you won't have to wait long for the textures to be fixed. For now, the map enhancement system can be disabled, you'd just have to remember to disable it before you hit the switch to exit E3M2.

The switch to disable the map enhancement is under Here be Dragons > Convenience Options > Fancy Level Decorations > Redecorate Levels, and setting it to "I'm going oldschool" will disable the decorations.
mamaluigisbagel

Yup, that was what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the help :)

Btw I was curious. I saw in the video there was a unique boss in E3M8, (The Unholy Shifter) but when I got there it was a regular Spider Mastermind. Is that a rare chance, unique to something, etc?
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Yup, that was what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the help :)

Btw I was curious. I saw in the video there was a unique boss in E3M8, (The Unholy Shifter) but when I got there it was a regular Spider Mastermind. Is that a rare chance, unique to something, etc?
If you leave the "Fancy Decorations" turned off, you won't be sent to that level. Once you get past e3m3 you should be ok to turn the map enhancement back on.
(if you tried warping directly to the level using nextmap or map e3m8, that's not gonna work)

If you played through the ultimate doom episode 1, you should notice that the Barons of E1M8 are replaced with very powerful bosses. I've replaced all the doom 1 boss encounters like this.

The boss that appears in E3M8 is randomly decided, it won't always be the shifter.

These special Mini-bosses also have a chance to pop up in random locations throughout your playthrough with (almost) any map pack! This helps give a little more surprise to your encounters in the later levels. There can only ever be one mini-boss per level, and they will only have a chance to spawn on levels with tier 3 or 4 monsters, so you aren't going to have to face them until you're powerful enough to defeat them.

(fancy decorations are not required for the random spawn chance of mini-bosses)
mamaluigisbagel

ah okay. Yeah, I noticed the bosses at E1M8 (which I really like) so I just was curious. Thanks for clearing that up! I just figured for E2 and E3 M8, it'd always me a unique boss since they're boss levels. Not a problem that it doesn't though. I like the idea that it waits until you're powerful enough.

I did have a bug (which might be addressed in the next patch) where fighting the E1M8 boss, I killed one, saved, then had to load. Somehow the boss I killed got its health back, but was still dead. Because of this, after killing the remaining boss, the walls didn't lower. I just IDCLIP'd out of it, but figured I'd point it out.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just had a VM execution abort with this mod. I was playing Strife and I had cheated to get everything. I got hit by the rockets from a crusader and then the following got spammed to the console a few thousand times (and it kept spamming, making it necessary for me to use Shift-Ctrl-Esc to kill GZDoom).

Code: Select all

Called from GC_MBlurHandler.NetworkProcess at Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zscript/specialeffects/motionblur.txt, line 31
VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”