Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Valherran

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 1.5

Post by Valherran »

Damage slider isn't really the answer, all that does is make me corner camp more as well as using other cheeseball tactics more often. Yes the current enemies already do a ton of damage, yes some of them put up a fight; but there aren't any enemies that are strong, have a broad skill set, and do a lot of damage that can challenge a heavily upgraded player. The tier of mobs I had in mind would have a chance to spawn in place of the final tier enemies to test a player's mettle.

As for maps packs I've gone through, I've done all the ones you mentioned plus more. Here's a list I played in order:

Brutalized Doom 2 Overkill
Brutalized Doom 1 Overkill
Unholy Realms
HellOnEarthStarterPack
Dimensions of Time
The Darkening 1
The Darkening 2
Doom The Way ID Did It
Interception
Plutonia 2
Ancient Aliens
Reverie
Hellbound
Doom 2: Reloaded
Scythe
E-Day
Hellcore
TNT: Revilution
Zone 300
The Abyss (In Progress)

I haven't touched any slaughter wads for obvious reasons, but yeah, those are my suggestions when you're up for it.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Damage slider isn't really the answer, all that does is make me corner camp more as well as using other cheeseball tactics more often. Yes the current enemies already do a ton of damage, yes some of them put up a fight; but there aren't any enemies that are strong, have a broad skill set, and do a lot of damage that can challenge a heavily upgraded player. The tier of mobs I had in mind would have a chance to spawn in place of the final tier enemies to test a player's mettle.
Minibosses:
now there is a good idea I can get on board with.
however, making monsters takes a long time. Even if I were to use sprites from PB, things like this take a lot of planning/testing/coding. I may work on this in the future, but it will still probably be quite a while.

Valherran wrote: As for maps packs I've gone through, I've done all the ones you mentioned plus more. Here's a list I played in order:
Spoiler:
I haven't touched any slaughter wads for obvious reasons, but yeah, those are my suggestions when you're up for it.
Thanks, I will give these a go after I post the next update to Vindicated.
huntrag94

Post by huntrag94 »

Wanted to say love your mod so far playing your version of HoESP and like the changes (currently in Marine HQ in current playthrough) but am curious if you plan on doing a spin on the Maps of Chaos map packs with this mod?
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

huntrag94 wrote:Wanted to say love your mod so far playing your version of HoESP and like the changes (currently in Marine HQ in current playthrough) but am curious if you plan on doing a spin on the Maps of Chaos map packs with this mod?
This mod already works with Maps of Chaos (however, due to the very large numbers of monsters included in Maps of Chaos, it will become very easy very quickly, much easier than DOOM2.wad normally is, as a result of all the items you'll be able to buy with the overflow of Dosh).

In order to run maps of chaos simply load the mod like this using the command line.

Code: Select all

C:\Folder_With_Doom_Mods\> Gzdoom.exe -iwad DOOM2.wad -file Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3 -file MapsOfChaos.wad
and select Hell On Earth from the start game menu

This mod is also compatible with Recurring Nightmare.
huntrag94

Post by huntrag94 »

I know it works with Maps of Chaos but at the time I thought you had made your own custom version of the HoE starter pack but turns out it was new map pack that Brutal doom maker is making @ _ @ so my bad on that half.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

huntrag94 wrote:I know it works with Maps of Chaos but at the time I thought you had made your own custom version of the HoE starter pack but turns out it was new map pack that Brutal doom maker is making @ _ @ so my bad on that half.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, I'll try to clarify.

-Guncaster Vindicated works with maps of chaos, just select "Hell on Earth" from the start menu

-from the start menu "Hell on Earth" starts the map pack normally
for example:
If you play with DOOM2.wad it will play the DOOM2 levels
If you play with Maps of Chaos it will play maps of chaos levels
If you play with ancient aliens it will play ancient aliens levels

-from the start menu "Vindicated Campaign" starts the customized HoE Starter Pack

-The Vindicated Campaign is a customized version of Hell on Earth Starter Pack, the new map pack being developed by SGT_Mark_IV is called Extermination Day. I intend to include a customized Extermination Day in Guncaster Vindicated as a replacement for the HoE starter pack once mark is finished developing E-Day.
Baronos

Post by Baronos »

This mod is also compatible with Recurring Nightmare.
Speaking of which,I've tried it.It was alright the first 3 maps but then It becomes unbearable with the monster closets and the excessive amount of enemies.
Certain parts felt endless with Vindicated.
huntrag94

Post by huntrag94 »

@dinosaur_nerd When I first found this version of guncaster and watched trailer the part at 1:10 of the youtube video you posted I thought it was Hell on Earth Starter Pack but learned after playing the mod for a lil bit that it's a map that Sarge is making called extermination day and at the time I thought you had made custom textures for Hell on Earth.

but I know how to load mods already with your version of Guncaster but ty though for telling me : )
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Big new update!!!

Guncaster Vindicated 2.0 - DSparil's Revenge

What's new?

-New monsters and Bosses for Heretic
-Updated VoidwalkersTouch to not allow healing higher than maximum HP
-Updated Enemies to no longer give too much health from VoidwalkersTouch
-Textures for Extermination Day are no exclusive to DOOM. Strife should no longer have graphical glitches.
-Updated Heretic Multiplayer weapon behavior to properly obey the sv_noweaponspawn switch.
-Fixed a bunch of other little bugs that I fail to remember (as usual...)
Gollgagh wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you do any balancing for Heretic?
Fureyon wrote:Dunno if I should wait for "something big" or not though :P
It's finally done! Go give it a shot! :D

Link Provided below for convenience:
Guncaster Vindicated 2.1

EDIT:

I have added a VERY minor patch fix to the mod that improves the behavior of the final boss and warns the player about a critical mechanic to defeat him.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.2

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mod updated to version 2.2
Valherran wrote:there aren't any enemies that are strong, have a broad skill set, and do a lot of damage that can challenge a heavily upgraded player. The tier of mobs I had in mind would have a chance to spawn in place of the final tier enemies to test a player's mettle.
-New Mini-Bosses for DOOM complete with sound tracks and health bars, all new behavior and attacks. They'll spawn on upper levels (clusters 3/4 or 7/8 approx levels 17+ in DOOM2 based wads and E3M1+ in DOOM based wads), they will spawn in a random location in a level and only ONE can appear per level, but aren't guaranteed to spawn every time. Good luck, and watch your back ;)

I hope these new mini-bosses will keep you on your toes.

-Fresh new method to handle dynamic enemy spawners involving ZScript instead of ACS. This should improve level loading speed on lower end machines and fixes Recurring nightmare to properly spawn the correct dynamic enemies instead of being permanently stuck on the lowest tier.
-New music for Intermission and the Traitor Boss for heretic.
-New switch added to convenience options to turn off human voices if they annoy you.
-Minor bug fixes
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Awesome, I'll jump on this and get back to you.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Alrighty I just finished my playthrough and here's my feedback.

Unfortunately due to the tweak you did to monster awareness, it broke the game. :lol:
Alarming monsters causes the entire map to be alert. So this will either kill you at low levels, or you kill them with little effort cus they will all barrel down on you and you kill them in a mass clump and or perform the rape train. The first mini-boss I encountered was in the factory, though I kinda expected one sooner. I do think there is a major problem with the mini-bosses because I was often finding lots of dead mobs in places I haven't been to yet, nor did I use and kind of attack that would kill them from across the map or through walls. This would indicate they are in-fighting nearby enemies and killing them as the level starts, but the odd part is I don't find a mini-boss in the pile of corpses like it committed suicide afterwards. The amount of mini-bosses I found and fought through the entire playthrough I can count on one hand, and this may be due to what I said previously. The ones I did fight were pretty tough and took a lot of hits to take down, though most were handicapped greatly by the environment. Maybe some mechanic that makes any of them teleport near you if you are further than a certain distance away would help. And if they teleport you would get some sort of signal from either suit you wear (none if not wearing a suit) that they are gonna warp near you. Though this will have to come after you fix the map awareness problem, cus imagine making noise and then 1-2 instantly spawn near you at the start of a level. :lol:
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Unfortunately due to the tweak you did to monster awareness, it broke the game. :lol:
Alarming monsters causes the entire map to be alert.
Yes I know :(
I apologize for that, I'm still relatively new to all this and learning as much as I can about coding and modding as fast as possible. This problem is due to the new Dynamic Spawner I implemented to replace the Old PB based method I was using before. This new method is much more precise and clean.

My mistake was that I forgot to transfer the ambush flags (as well as some others) to the new dynamic spawners, so monsters are able to hear you everywhere unless the map designer took the time to actually implement the "Blocks Sound" line specials like the original doom maps did.

I have corrected this problem on my end, and it will be patched this weekend.
Valherran wrote:I do think there is a major problem with the mini-bosses because I was often finding lots of dead mobs in places I haven't been to yet, nor did I use and kind of attack that would kill them from across the map or through walls.
That's something I'll have to look into, it might be resolved with the monsters not being alerted from across the map. I haven't actually seen this yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Valherran wrote:The amount of mini-bosses I found and fought through the entire playthrough I can count on one hand, and this may be due to what I said previously.
I'll give a little insight into the bosses, I've set it up so that the bosses will only appear in clusters 3 - 4 (This should give the player some time to get some decent weaponry and armors/suits/spells), or clusters 7 - 8 if playing DOOM2. Then they have a chance to spawn based on that cluster.

In short, early levels and early-middle levels have no chance to spawn a mini-boss, later-middle levels have a low chance to spawn a mini-boss, and late levels have a high chance to spawn a mini-boss (but still a chance). Only one mini-boss is allowed per level.
Valherran wrote:The ones I did fight were pretty tough and took a lot of hits to take down, though most were handicapped greatly by the environment.
This is just really hard to deal with...

The Duke is supposed to be pretty immobile, so I don't want him teleporting around. He is all about pure power.
The Overlord can fly, he shouldn't be hampered too badly by terrain.
I'm working on a way to improve the mobility of the Shifter (Archvile boss) so that he can teleport across gaps.
The Belphegor actually has a method to deal with this a little bit, but it's built into his mechanics.
Spoiler:
Valherran wrote:Maybe some mechanic that makes any of them teleport near you if you are further than a certain distance away would help. And if they teleport you would get some sort of signal from either suit you wear (none if not wearing a suit) that they are gonna warp near you.
I'll try to think of something if it ends up being a serious problem with the full map monster alert problem fixed. I'm 99.9999% sure that I won't be implementing a method for the monsters to teleport to the player (with the exception of the shifter of course). That being said, if it's still a problem, I'll try to think of something to help them spawn in a more favorable location, however, this might end up in even less mini-bosses being spawned. Even so, won't matter if the problem is resolved by the alert issue.
Valherran wrote:Though this will have to come after you fix the map awareness problem, cus imagine making noise and then 1-2 instantly spawn near you at the start of a level. :lol:
Don't worry, it's fixed, I'll update this weekend.
Thanks again for all your testing, it helps a bunch!

Thanks to all you folks who play and test this, I'm glad so many folks appreciate this game.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Sorry for delay on this fix, but here it is.

updated to 2.3

updates are here:
Spoiler:
Download it here

EDIT: corrected the bug where it wouldn't launch, my bad. I uploaded this late last night and was feeling really sick when I did it so I made a mistake. It's fixed now.
Plonkett

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.3

Post by Plonkett »

Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 5:
Expected '}', got 'setsectoroffset'.

How do I fix this?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”