[WIP] Desolate Spectrum 2.1 +Factotum & Final Doomer compat.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: [WIP] Desolate Spectrum - 1st Test

Post by Pixel Eater »

So I made an attempt to have the Thermal Visor spawn in Factotum but failed (for now). But if you want to see it in action anyway you can cheat by picking up armor, typing "give thermalowned" into the console and then "thermalcam true" in case it was left off :wink:
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Trying some new methods while heatmapping the Arachnotron but they're coming out a bit nasty. I want the steely cold legs and base to block the warmth of it's squishy brain. I fear I may have to do this one by hand though :roll:
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Pixel Eater wrote:So I made an attempt to have the Thermal Visor spawn in Factotum but failed (for now). But if you want to see it in action anyway you can cheat by picking up armor, typing "give thermalowned" into the console and then "thermalcam true" in case it was left off :wink:
It should be possible with WorldThingSpawned events.

(And you could always just include an option to start with the Visor in your inventory. That would be something of a placeholder fix, though.)
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

dawnbreez wrote:It should be possible with WorldThingSpawned events.
I'll take a look at that one, though you make a good point about just starting with it loaded. It's useless until you get the armor anyway!

It's a shame though- I like how the helmet sprite's billboarding tilts up and down independent of the armor like it has a neck :(
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Pitch-shifted and EQ'd Demon pain sound: Preview
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Try making a KEYCONF to set a key for it, i'm not sure what i'm doing here but I hope it illustrates what i'm trying to say

Code: Select all

addkeysection "Desolate Functions" p_functions
addmenukey "Toggle Cam" "toggle thermalcam"
defaultbind k "toggle thermalcam"
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

For the Arachnotron you could use TEXTURES to separate the head from the base and spawn 2 actors, one of them affected by the heatmap and the lower one not.

That is pretty hacky and i'm not sure exactly how it would be possible, perhaps make the base have an idle version that is spawned by the head and then killed and replaced by a version that has a walking animation and warps to the head's position.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

EddieMann wrote:Try making a KEYCONF to set a key for it, i'm not sure what i'm doing here but I hope it illustrates what i'm trying to say

Code: Select all

addkeysection "Desolate Functions" p_functions
addmenukey "Toggle Cam" "toggle thermalcam"
defaultbind k "toggle thermalcam"
I just got to try this, that's nice! It feels all "officially" :D
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

TDRR wrote:For the Arachnotron you could use TEXTURES to separate the head from the base and spawn 2 actors, one of them affected by the heatmap and the lower one not.

That is pretty hacky and i'm not sure exactly how it would be possible, perhaps make the base have an idle version that is spawned by the head and then killed and replaced by a version that has a walking animation and warps to the head's position.
I like the thinking but it'll get too complex for me :P I already have a duplicate spawned and killed so that the monster's heat signatures can fade as their corpses cool. Before I moved on to something else I started to separate the top half from the bottom just like you're suggesting but in photoshop so instead it will be "baked-in" :)
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Might have found a good way to imprint the heat mapping:

Teeth and horns block the warm sections. I'm just hoping it will work for all situations :BFG:
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I wonder if I could get this to work with Final Doomer...
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I just used the cheat from the top of the page and it seemed fine for all the weapon modes in Final Doomer. Some strange colours coming off the weapon effects but I think I can rectify those. I'll take Dawnbreez's advice and change it so you get the thermal visor from the beginning and that'll make mod compatibility more simple 8-)
Pixel Eater

Re: [WIP] Desolate Spectrum - 2nd Test

Post by Pixel Eater »

Updated to be Test #2! Dawnbreez's idea is in place as well as EddieMann's keyconf code, plus the Cacodemon heatmapping.
Unfortunately equipping the thermal visor on startup didn't immediately make it compatible with Final Doomer. It will need further work and permission to use some of it's original code. Though the funny colours on the weapon effects have been fixed :)
Pixel Eater

Re: [WIP] Desolate Spectrum 2.1 +Factotum & Final Doomer com

Post by Pixel Eater »

I recieved permission to copy code from Final Doomer (Thanks Sgt. Shivers!) in order to make a compatible version, only to find that ZScript can't inherit from Decorate :( But then I remembered Dawnbreez's post about WorldThingSpawned and sure enough it was exactly what was needed!

So now there's Final Doomer and Factotum test versions here and in the OP :wink:

Final Doomer
Factotum
Gideon020

Re: [WIP] Desolate Spectrum 2.1 +Factotum & Final Doomer com

Post by Gideon020 »

Nice, now to try the base out with Eriguns. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”