Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Doom Tournament [Now working on Unreal 1 add-on]

Post by BradmanX »

Oooo, an Unreal mod with cut content in it? That's gonna be pretty sweet, I'm sure if this mod is anything to go by :)
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Remember to make it so you can use the beta/classic sounds for the Unreal weapons too.
A mutator for that comes with the latest unofficial Unreal patch so you shouldn't have to dig up an old version to find them.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Yeah that one's a separate addon also just my opinion but the unofficial patches are bad.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I never had a problem with the patches. The only thing I really noticed was just a mutator for the beta weapon stuff and additional render and sound drivers that you don't need to manually install.
Marisa the Magician

Yesterday I snuck in a little update that previews hud color/transparency in the settings menu (like in UT). This had some crash-prone code for handling teams that was fixed this morning. Please redownload.
Marisa the Magician

Smol update, just added a v220 Translocator replacement add-on.

Notice how it actually looks like the weapon icon in the HUD.

In other news: Doomreal development is going at full speed now! The GitHub repo is here, for those that want to take a peek. Note that at the moment of posting this the mod isn't in a playable state. Weapon development is still paused while I'm redoing a couple more prototype models.
Marisa the Magician

After 4.2.0 came out I had to do some changes. One notable thing is that I've started using the new sound pitch control features. It's pretty nice to no longer need people to play with randomized pitches on.

I've also fixed a longstanding bug with various bouncing projectiles having odd behavior with certain shootables. At least partially, because Ripper blades still bounce after decapitating even though they shouldn't.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Oh my, you are doing a Unreal 1 addon? I'm really looking forward to it.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Unreal 1 is one of my favorite games. Part of my holy trinity of Doom, Quake, and Unreal. Exciting! Even some of my music style is inspired by Unreal's fantastic soundtrack.
Marisa the Magician

Well would you look at that.

That's right, I'm doing a status bar too.
Xada

Post by Xada »

This mod has been an absolute blast to play through-- done many a MegaWad with it. Great times! Gotta hand it to you and thank you for taking the time to make it as accurate, detailed and balanced as you have.

I am also super hyped about the Unreal1 addon-- Unreal is bar-none my favorite game of all time and I feel it's gotten unfairly neglected over the years (probably due to being sandwiched between Quake 2 and Half-Life. In the wake of so many Unreal communities (including USP just recently) dying it's great to see Unreal's assets ported over elsewhere to an active community) and that Beta-style Unreal HUD is looking awesome no less! :D

Question however, as far as the Doom Tournament models are concerned is there any intention of scaling the UT'99 playermodels down to original Doomplayer hitbox scale or so? I remember I mucked with the model file in flak_m a bit out of curiosity and scaling them back by 6/10ths or so seemed to make them match up with the collision box without them being too thin.
Marisa the Magician

The players are already scaled to fit the same 16x56 hitbox. The doomguy looks smaller in comparison because his sprite is shorter than his collision box.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Well would you look at that.

That's right, I'm doing a status bar too.
Are the red bars gonna be an extension of the health display or do they show the weapons in your possession?
Xada

Post by Xada »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:The players are already scaled to fit the same 16x56 hitbox. The doomguy looks smaller in comparison because his sprite is shorter than his collision box.
Ahh, my bad there then. I notice this is true for a lot of Doom pawns, especially the Arachnotron (I've seen it upscaled in many gameplay mods as a result of it's freakishly large hitbox.)
True height just looks odd compared with vanilla sprites like the 'grunts' is why it threw me off-- guess there isn't a lot that can be done about that.
This does make me curious what your approach to the monsters will be? I've run into similar issues with my own personal mods where I've had to downscale monsters too big for their parent replaced pawn and they end up stuck and inoperable.

Also, is there any future interest in beta-alternates for monsters/weapons (ie the U1 beta Automag) or Unreal1 player models in general? I always found Ash's design pretty cool (tried porting him sprite-wise once but it looked awful as a sprite translation so I scrapped it)
Marisa the Magician

Oh, Doomreal will have all the u1 player classes, plus the alpha man and woman characters (although I'll have to do new animations for both and for the former I'll have to complete his unfinished textures).

This guy, specifically, he's like some sort of proto-Kurgan. With some weird goggles and a crazy teethy grin.

There's not much to work with, though.

The monsters, now that's another story. I still haven't decided on how to tackle that. Ideally I do want to make sure they're the right size to fit in a lot of spots.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”