Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
PixelWAD

Re: Doom Tournament [Pre-Release]

Post by PixelWAD »

Once again, thank you so much for your work!

I haven't tried the update yet, but I don't see any changelog related to this.
Whenever I use redemeer controls, my camera is always super red, I literally can't see anything. My display options are just a tiny bit tweaked, like saturation/contrast at maybe 1.1/1.2. Is there any way to fix this? Rest of the game looks fine...

Well, actually, whenever I get hit, I always get blinded for like a full second, but I always thought it was just Doom.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

You're right, I screwed up with the Redeemer camera. It should be better now.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Seems better now. :) Thanks for the info too. I suspected the bot/weapon thing might be an issue.

Suggestion - next time you're updating, can you make it so that if you run out of ammo in one weapon, you don't auto-switch to the redeemer if you are carrying it?
Marisa the Magician

That was an easy task, I even made it switchable if people somehow still want the old autoswitch behavior.
  • Add option to give Redeemer lowest selection priority so it's not autoselected when out of ammo on other weapons (enabled by default).
  • Switch ambientglow+brightmap shader to actually use brightmap textures directly. This bumps the version requirement to 3.5.0 and makes it sorta-possible to play with software rendering without seeing "invisible pickup models".
  • Re-ran all textures through optipng.
  • Skin add-ons have been updated to work with the new brightmap shader.
  • Music and announcer add-ons have been updated to fix some script warnings.
Edit: Some playing around with quaternions resulted in...
  • Implemented "six degrees of freedom" movement for guided redeemer missiles (reload/zoom for manual tilt control).
  • Made part of the guided redeemer reticle rotate according to the missile's roll just to show off Shape2D.
Edit: Additional toying around with the Redeemer.
  • Corrected the spin behavior of the Redeemer Missile's outer reticle.
  • Added optional fancy screen shader to Redeemer.
Edit: Some fixes to the new shader.
  • Disable view dim while Redeemer shader is active.
  • Made Redeemer shader blur radius adapt to screen size.
Marisa the Magician

I think at this point I should just make a new post or people won't notice there are updates.

What's new:
  • Correctly implement some projectile damages (projectiles are meant to either do splash damage or direct hit damage, but not both). Readjust damages to adapt to this change.
  • Add 3D explosion blast and knockback functions (these allow for things such as juggling enemies in the air or rocket jumping). Migrate pretty much everything to it.
  • Add "Classic Enhanced Shock Rifle" option, disables altfire and splash damage on beams.
  • Screen shakes for explosions now correctly fall off with distance.
  • Some minor refactoring/fixes.
What's coming:
  • Implement Unreal style player movement (progress on this can be followed through the "utmovement" branch)
  • Allow various projectiles to hit their shooter after bouncing (e.g.: ripper blades). This requires an actor flag that has been only just implemented in GZDoom at the time of writing this post, so it'll have to wait until 3.5.1.
Edit: Last minute changes:
  • Fix typo in biorifle blast momentum value.
  • Minor corrections.
  • Note to self: the checkradius parameter of BlockThingsIterator is a lie.
Edit: Maybe I'm updating too frequently:
  • Rebalanced splash damages. Restored vanilla UT damage radii.
  • Corrected Ripper alt projectile damage. They actually do deal both direct hit and splash damage.
  • Made UDamage and Enhanced Shock Rifle last longer outside of deathmatch.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Would it be possible to bind a button so that you shoot a teleporter where you aim, and upon second press, you teleport there? It's a bit unfriendly having to scroll to teleport gun on gamepad, then aim, then teleport, and then change back your gun.

Great update by the way!
Marisa the Magician

Hm, I should be able to do something like what newer UTs have where you can quick-switch to the translocator then switch back to your last used weapon.

Edit: Though I haven't yet tackled that, here's what's been done:
  • Fully implement UT-style player movement (optional). Has options to have a more Doom-ish player speed, along with preserving Doom's air control. Also has a (glitchy) option to prevent the player from falling off ledges while holding the run key (which acts as the walk key when UT movement is enabled). In addition, double-tap dodges will be available too, and they should work as expected.
  • Made the "prevent boss monsters from being telefragged" tweak toggleable, as it could cause issues with some maps. Note that having this off will make the Translocator even more game-breaking if it's enabled.
  • Menu background now displays whenever menus are open, rather than during the titlemap. This is how it should have always been.
Edit: I'm going to force myself to take a break from doing any more updates unless something breaks:
  • Various improvements, fixes and rebalances that I'm too tired to list through.
Editto: Yeah uh...:
  • Minor birthday update, reduce some splash damage radii by 0.7x (scale from UT player to Doomguy). Some people will thank me for this, especially the kinds that tend to easily blow themselves up with rockets by accident.
Marisa the Magician

Re: Doom Tournament [Almost 1.0]

Important changes now that 3.5.1 is out:
  • Added a different obituary to the Sniper Rifle depending on whether or not it's a headshot.
  • Reduced the screen tint of the Damage Amplifier.
  • More tweaks to the DOOMTEST enhancer, now it looks very pretty.
  • Enable HITOWNER on bounce for grenades, flak shrapnel, ripper blades.
  • Enable HITOWNER on biosludge after colliding with a surface. Not needed, but just done for the sake of it.
  • Enable HITOWNER on guided redeemer missiles after they're far away from the shooter.

Next up will be the migration of the RandomSpawner replacement system to the new Event Handler CheckReplacement system. This one will take some time.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Actually,the HITOWNER flag and CheckReplacement event aren't part of the 3.5.1 release.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Blue Shadow wrote:Actually,the HITOWNER flag and CheckReplacement event aren't part of the 3.5.1 release.
Correct. The release focused around two major features, and cherry-picked bug fixes otherwise. Newer ZScript features were not included.
Marisa the Magician

I screwed up big time then! D:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry. I thought that was pretty clear in the thread where Graf and myself talked about it. XD

It's fairly normal (other than certain rare occasions) for point releases to be fairly conservative with new features, unless everything that's there has been in the repo for a long time.

The purpose of 3.5.1 was to complete the new fullscreen code with a resolution selector, and also to add in the dither stuff.
Marisa the Magician

Another update has been pushed
  • Migrate replacements to CheckReplacement.
  • Added support for bridge actors on Biorifle (may be a bit glitchy).
  • Corrected air movement, added UT jump height, set dodge height to actual UT value.
Edit: Sneaky extra update, just a minor visual thing
  • Fix some tinted HUD parts having a weird color.
Blacklightning

Post by Blacklightning »

Thought I'd drop in quickly to point out a minor oversight. With the announcer plugin, it's possible to score First Blood by killing yourself.

Yes I found that out the hard way, don't judge me
Marisa the Magician

Fixed (although self-headshots will still be announced because I think it's funny you can pull that off with the Ripper now)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”