Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

Re: Doom Tournament [Almost 1.0]

Post by Enjay »

Just my opinion, of course, but I think this works really well with the UT99 weapons and bringing stuff in from later games/engines would possibly bring in redundancy, create a clashing of styles and reduce the UT99 appeal of the mod.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know if this is a mod specific issue or if it's a GZDoom bug. Running around in MAP09 of Doom2 after picking up an Unreal Damage powerup, I noticed that things sometimes could go a bit screwy if I looked at the floor.

Should look like:

But sometimes looked like:

It's almost as if the light is z-fighting with the floor.

[edit]
Nice and easy to show in E2M2 when standing on top of the crates:

[/edit]

Is this known about? Is it mod related or a GZDoom problem?

Just this mod loaded. GZDoom 3.6.0.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's a driver problem.

There's something screwy going on with the shaders here. Have you tried updating your drivers? If they're up to date, maybe try going one revision back?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

My drivers are current. nVidia drivers seem to update very frequently, so I can simply wait (this is the only circumstance so far where I have seen a problem). However, when I update my drivers, I usually look at what has changed. All too often its mostly stuff for cards that I don't have or games that I don't have. So who knows how far back I'd have to go to find a fix anyway?

Just in case it's helpful, I've found a GZDoom setting that changes this. If Light Shadowmaps is set to "yes" I get the problem. If it's set to "no" the problem goes away.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I am not getting this effect as described. You should report this as a bug, anyway, but I am not able to reproduce it. Maybe we'll get lucky and Graf or dpJudas can.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

If it helps I actually get this issue or at least something similar on my old Intel GM45. However it didn't help to disable shadow maps in my case, and that system has other bad issues with dynamic lights when they're on partly transparent textures so take that how you want. Normally I leave them off.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Reported in the bugs forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62309
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks, Enjay! And thanks Fakemai for pointing that out, but it should go into the bugs topic Enjay just made so that it gives more visibility to the devs.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A handful of notes/suggestions after playing Doom maps for a couple of hours with this.

Rocket Launcher. I know that it was something of a go-to weapon when playing UT but in a single player game against Doom enemies, it wasn't funny the number of times that I ran out of ammo from whichever weapon I was using, auto-switched to the rocket launcher and nearly killed myself (and actually did a couple of times) by letting a rocket fly at an enemy who was right in my face. Any chance the rocket launcher could be given a much lower weapon priority, or even set to never auto-switch (like in Doom)? There are other explosive weapons, of course, but the RL seemed to give me the most grief in this way.

[edit] Update: Having now played a few more close-quarter battles, auto-switching to the other explosive weapons can also be problematic [/edit]

After picking up an Unreal Damage powerup, someone watching me play, said "it looks really weird seeing the weapons look normal". And that's when I remembered that there is a pink shimering effect over the HUD weapons when that powerup is active in UT. I suspect the answer is "no" but is there anything that can be done in GZDoom to emulate this?

Are the ripper disks powerful enough? They take down small enemies quickly enough but even a medium enemy like a cacodemon seemd to take a long time to be taken down by the ripper on primary fire mode. I just felt that they should feel more powerful (in UT part of the reason that they are powerful is because you can [announcer voice]"headshot"[/announcer voice] with them. Obviously, that can't be done in Doom but perhaps they should be buffed a little to compensate?

[edit] Update: I'm less convinced about this now. I seemedto be taking down cacodemons reasonably easily with the ripper today. [/edit]

I love the instagib shock rifle and the way it works as a powerup. However, it replaces the invulnerability sphere and there is a tendency for people to place those near boss fights. So, quite often, you end up being given a weapon that can one-shot kill a boss right at the moment the boss appears. It makes the boss fight pretty easy. ;) Could it replace a different powerup (I love it so much that I wouldn't want it nerfed or to disappear entirely) or maybe have a reduced effect on enemies with the BOSS flag?

[edit] Update: further suggested things / observations with the instagib rifle. When the rifle runs out, it's the only weapn (I think) that doesn't autoswitch away, so you get left with a "dead man's click" weapon instead. Also, if you have picked one up and then later on in the map you pick up a second one, you will not autoswitch to the instagib rifle (i.e. standard weapon behaviour). However, it will be in your inventory and the ammo/timer will be running out. So, if you don't notice that you picked it up, you could lose the powerup before you even realise you have it. Given that it is essentially being treated as a powerup, perhaps it should remove itself from the player's inventory when it is used up? This could solve both of these problems.[/edit]

As an associated point, did UT not have an invulnerability powerup anyway? I think it might be the one that covers you in a shimmery gold effect (like the pink effect I mentioned, but gold). I think there was also something that gave a shimmery white effect - maybe that was increased armour or something? [edit]it's the shield belt - and that's already in[/edit] It's been a while since I played a lot of UT. I'll maybe have a session tomorrow. :D

Anyway, those are all fairly minor points. I'm absolutely loving this mod: a near perfect mashup of two of my favourite games.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, I decided to load Doom Tournament with other IWADs just to see how it played (I knew I'd probably have to cheat for weapons and ammo). "I'll play Chex" I thought. "It'll be a chance to get my own back on those slimy Flemoids and use the bio-sludge rifle on them."

Well, guess what? They're immune to it! All other weapons can kill them, and they can be bounced around by the bio-sludge explosions but they do not get killed. Kind of fitting really. I had a look at the Flemoids code in GZDoom.pk3 and I don't see anything obvious that will be giving them immunity to the bio-sludge, but there must be something somewhere. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it because I found it amusing. I know that Chex isn't officially supported so there is nothing to be fixed.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

[quote=Enjay]I suspect the answer is "no" but is there anything that can be done in GZDoom to emulate this?[/quote]
I'd say the answer is "not yet". This may be possible in the future when model animation is decoupled from states. It would make it possible to easily swap textures and render styles.

[quote=Enjay]Obviously, that can't be done in Doom but perhaps they should be buffed a little to compensate?[/quote]
You actually can still headshot in Doom. If you play with a mod like DamNums you will notice that hitting the around the top of a monster with the ripper and sniper rifle deals more damage.

About the Instagib rifle... it was kind of an afterthought since I just had to add something to take the place of a missing invulnerability. I will take into account your suggestions, though.

The fact that Chex enemies are invulnerable to the bio-rifle makes absolutely no sense and I'll have to look into it later (PS: it deals 'Slime' damage).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:(PS: it deals 'Slime' damage).
I managed to find that when I was investigating, but I couldn't find any appropriate reference to "Slime" as a damage type in the files I looked in. That probably just means I didn't look in the right place.

I'll load up the DamNums mod and have a look at how height affects damage dealt. Thanks for the tip. I guess I should be aiming towards the top part of enemies then. Shame doing that with certain ones (revenant, I'm looking at you) will mean missing them because the sprite is so much taller then the underlying actor.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Something I've noticed: when I pick up a pulse gun for the first time, there is a noticeable brief stalling of the game (presumably as the model or skins load). This is the only weapon that seems to do this. Any idea why that might be? The model doesn't seem to be massively more complicated than the others and the skin files aren't big.
Marisa the Magician

I notice it too, have no idea why.
Marisa the Magician

I've updated the latest devbuild to fix an asmjit crash. I'll backport the fix to stable in a sec... aaand done.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”