Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Tournament [Almost 1.0]

Post by Marisa the Magician »

With the release of GZDoom 3.7.0, all the stuff that's been worked on in the devel branch has been pushed to stable. Have fun!

New stuff to take into account:
* UT movement physics fully implemented for walking, swimming and flying (you cheater).
* Separate player classes with separate sound sets and HUD icons. Independent from player gender.
* A new add-on: Taunts.
* Mod runs much more smoothly thanks to asmjit.
* UT gore (blood is mostly stable, gibs may be buggy). This is a work in progress.
Marisa the Magician

Releasing a small hotfix for both branches. NOFRICTION was set unconditionally, rather than only when UT physics are enabled.

Update: Since this was brought to my attention on Discord allow me to mention a couple things about the UT player physics feature:
  1. Running is the default, and you hold shift to walk. This works independently from whatever setting GZDoom has for autorun.
  2. Caps Lock / cl_run is ignored, since this feature doesn't exist in UT.
  3. Scrolling floors and wind don't work at the moment due to their data not being available to ZScript yet.
  4. Knockback from vanilla projectiles (e.g. cyberdemon rockets) doesn't have much of an effect due to only applying horizontal momentum, which quickly gets cut off by ground friction.
  5. Because there is no clear way to difference between the fly cheat and flight powerups, both have the "UE1 fly cheat" physics, when the latter should be like swimming.
  6. Swimming currently seems faster than in UT even though I'm using the correct speed limit. I need to investigate this.
  7. The stair snapping feature has no downwards view smoothing. The "smooth step up" is hardcoded and any attempts to also do it for stepping down have failed on the zscript side.
  8. UT players have shorter step height. This is used even with UT physics off, but I might revert it to vanilla if people don't like it.
kornnichiwa

Post by kornnichiwa »

I tryed to get Doom Tournament to work but now it just a problem with a shader...
The image has my gzdoom version from DRD Team Development Builds and the error.
Please reply i just want to play my 2 childhood games combined... (and bring some nostalgia in)
Attachments
The error and the gzdoom version.
The error and the gzdoom version.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

In maps that support ice physics, like Eviternity's Map11, the sliding friction works fine with UT Movement turned on, but enabling Doom Player Speed does not. You cease to slip around with both options on. I understand if this is a niche quirk and won't be fixed however, as few mapsets make extensive use of ice physics. I just feel its appropriate you're made aware.

Also, on the topic of the player step height being decreased to UT levels, I for one do find it annoying. It makes maps like Map01 from Doom 2 possible to get stuck in without jumping. The step height restrictions are also enabled permanently and not just when UT Movement is enabled, so many level wads are just not beatable with their intended movement schema when this mod is loaded anymore. Would it be possible to split the step height into its own option? On a similar note, would it be possible to disable dodging with UT Movement on? I for one like to disable jumping on any mapset that doesnt use it so having the ability to dodge also gets in the way of that, even if I like the authenticity of the UT Movement option otherwise.

Thanks for the mod.
Marisa the Magician

Update sent:
- Fixed a long standing bug with dual enforcer reloading (left enforcer lowers weirdly while reloading)
- Fixed left enforcer suddenly appearing after being dropped due to the dummy overlay used to check its fire being still active.
- Fixed left enforcer not reloading when clip count drops to 0.
- Made double tap dodging configurable
- Reverted changes to step height.

I think the problem with ice friction may be that my formula for mapping between doom and UT friction values is not as precise as I thought it to be. There's definitely a noticeable discrepancy between UT and Doom movement with how the sliding decays.
kornnichiwa

Post by kornnichiwa »

Can you give me the mod with the branch of 3.6.0 please cuz this happens if it is higher than 3.6.0... https://ibb.co/R3Gb8jv
Marisa the Magician

You should report that as a gzdoom bug instead.
Marisa the Magician

So, Heretic compatibility is being worked on in the development branch. Feel free to check it out if you want.

I still have some things to play around with, including a little special feature for making many of the items manually usable from an inventory bar.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

I think that GES Bio Rifle Sludge should not explode from enemy fire until it hits the ground. Had quite a lot of times in Heretic where enemy projectiles or bullets caught them and exploded them in your face. Don't remember this being an issue in Unreal Tournament when under Minigun Fire - had it been the same there it would've been exploding too.

Another thing about GES: the splash sludge from the altfire uses same models as "drop of sludge" from the ceiling, which is smaller than regular sludge clump, and regular sludge clump for the original splash clump. I'm pretty sure UT'99 had it use bigger sludge model for the original projectile and regular sludge clumps for the "splashed" sludge. I.e. they all should use bigger (different) models.
Here's some direct video comparison

Upon closer inspection it appears that sludge models in Doom Tournament are also noticably smaller in general
Marisa the Magician

Yes, this mod is not a 1:1 recreation of UT99 in Doom. But here's the thing, you seem to think that this is by mistake, but no, it's completely intentional. While this mod is "conceptually" equal to the original game, I've been changing up the way everything works, either for personal aesthetic reasons, or because I simply want to better balance it for Doom. A 100% straight port of something made for UE1 is impossible, first of all because GZDoom uses entirely different physics, meaning that one cannot just translate the way UE1 handles gravity, velocity, friction, mass, etc. I've tried my best to do so and yet it still doesn't work EXACTLY like UT.

Anyway, splash globs looking smaller in doom tournament is intentional because it looks more physically accurate for them to be, y'know, not practically the same size as the big one. Like, that's extra mass that came out of nowhere, come on.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

While playing around with Flak cannon, I often found myself suddenly dying quite often, and I realized that it's way too easy to die to the flak that keeps bouncing around after every shot (since it's not uncommon for 1 or 2 flaks out of shot to miss the monster and continue on bouncing, fast). Even after many bounces it retains its speed and damage, but also becomes really hard to see in some areas since it is small and dark.
UT avoided it by making the flak loose most of its speed and damage after third bounce or so.
Also here, the self damage is much higher than in UT (it being balanced for MP, and in Doom it being used against high-HP monsters), so maybe lowering its self-damage factor would help a bit too?
So far, using Flak in the mod is way too risky and thus not as enjoyable - it's way too easy to kill yourself with it.
Marisa the Magician

I've been trying to find a way to do the very specific speed dampening that projectile has. It's based on angle of impact, rather than a fixed value.

Edit: I figured out. It's the most horrendous hack I've ever written, but it works (though I'm pretty sure it's going to break horribly with 3d floors, as usual). First, I guess the hit normal from the last surface hit during the bounce, then through some very ugly maths I "undo" the doom bounce, and then re-do the bounce using UT's flak chunk formula.
Marisa the Magician

Here's a smol status update to notify of what's being done at the moment.

The development branch is focused on testing and balancing the Heretic compatibility additions. If you want to check it out, feel free to report any issues you encounter, or ideas on better item replacements (I didn't put much thought into that, it's all over the place since some of them aren't exactly "direct equivalents" to Doom's). I also plan to make various items activable from inventory. There are no plans for Hexen and Strife compat, as they would be way more complicated to handle. Chex is definitely doable, but I'd like to see if there's any interest on that first.

In addition, there's a new experimental branch (which always inherits the development branch changes), which is being used to test the changes from this code submission (this fixes issues such as Biorifle gel not aligning correctly in sloped 3d floors).

On the side of add-ons, the map pack is still being worked on. DM-Deck16][ and DM-Pyramid are completed, DM-Stalwart/DM-StalwartXL will be done next, followed by DM-Fractal, which will definitely be fun, seeing as it'll involve portal magic. Once I've got enough maps done and fixed them up nicely I'll do a first release of it.

More about add-ons: "Doomreal", a port of the Unreal 1 arsenal (and monsters) is definitely going to happen once I've finished this all. Only a bit of it has been done so far, and it'll have to be rewritten to work on top of DT (I want to reduce code duplication here). ChaosDT, a port of ChaosUT's weapons and items is also a thing that I'll do. Oh, and as an extra cherry on top of all this, I am reviving one of my abandoned weapon mods from back in the ol' days, SWWM Z. I'm sure it'll work much better in GZDoom than in that rusty ol' Unreal Engine 1.5.
BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Here's a smol status update to notify of what's being done at the moment.

The development branch is focused on testing and balancing the Heretic compatibility additions. If you want to check it out, feel free to report any issues you encounter, or ideas on better item replacements (I didn't put much thought into that, it's all over the place since some of them aren't exactly "direct equivalents" to Doom's). I also plan to make various items activable from inventory. There are no plans for Hexen and Strife compat, as they would be way more complicated to handle. Chex is definitely doable, but I'd like to see if there's any interest on that first.

In addition, there's a new experimental branch (which always inherits the development branch changes), which is being used to test the changes from this code submission (this fixes issues such as Biorifle gel not aligning correctly in sloped 3d floors).

On the side of add-ons, the map pack is still being worked on. DM-Deck16][ and DM-Pyramid are completed, DM-Stalwart/DM-StalwartXL will be done next, followed by DM-Fractal, which will definitely be fun, seeing as it'll involve portal magic. Once I've got enough maps done and fixed them up nicely I'll do a first release of it.

More about add-ons: "Doomreal", a port of the Unreal 1 arsenal (and monsters) is definitely going to happen once I've finished this all. Only a bit of it has been done so far, and it'll have to be rewritten to work on top of DT (I want to reduce code duplication here). ChaosDT, a port of ChaosUT's weapons and items is also a thing that I'll do. Oh, and as an extra cherry on top of all this, I am reviving one of my abandoned weapon mods from back in the ol' days, SWWM Z. I'm sure it'll work much better in GZDoom than in that rusty ol' Unreal Engine 1.5.
Sweet! All that would be left to do is port some of Unreal's singleplayer maps to Doom.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:ChaosDT, a port of ChaosUT's weapons and items is also a thing that I'll do.
I have been waiting for this for a long, long time!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”