[Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Postby ZikShadow » Sat May 05, 2018 5:18 pm

DESCRIPTION:

PERSONAL ADDON

I tend to have a preference when it comes to various sounds, models, or sprites when playing games/mods. As a result, it's usually inevitable that I end up modifying the lot until they fit with the things I like. If the thing's possible to be modded, anyways. Stuff like highres SFX with punchier sounding guns, different sprites, or just about any particular nitpick that I could fix directly on my end. And so, this personal addon of mine was made as an answer to how I preferred BoA to look and sound.

Interestingly, while I've only really done the sprites bit a few weeks before BoA's final chapter release got through, the soundpack in particular has been around since 2016, the year I found Wildweasel's original Nazis! mod. Since BoA shares pretty much 100% of the sound assets from Nazis!, all my modifications from that mod transitioned smoothly without a hitch. I have since added new things or modified some stuff, so it's not quite exactly the 2016 version still, but I'd say a good chunk of it is still there.

Now, I'm sure you're curious what does this Personal Addon of mine do primarily. Well, allow me to post a shortened list of what can be expected of this mod:
Spoiler:

CONFISCATED WEAPONS!

Something that comes up in my mind every now and then when playing BoA is the lack of certain mainstay WW2 weapons. Apparently, this was in the minds of several others too, and I had wondered if it is possible to reintegrate Nazis! weapons back to BoA somehow. I eventually managed it, along with some more. That's really all I've got to say about this lil' thing. There's more history in the weapons code themselves, if you're interested in that. You'll find these weapons along with their ammunition in specially marked crates that now replace the barrels that'd normally give you items and not blow up in your face. It's all random chance, they're deliberately made rare, the new weapons are prioritized over the old ones in selection, and you lose them at the end of a mission like the rest of your vanilla equipment, so use 'em if you find 'em! Don't be shy!

I do recommend a mod like Use-to-Pickup in case you don't want to accidentally pick up stuff you don't want. Just remember to turn it off in Chapter 3 every now and then to get past stuff like the soulgates.

I've implemented about 50 brand new weapons in this addon. A good chunk of which are reimplementations of Nazis! weapons (with some modifications on my part, see PersAdd for the whys), while many others are completely different and unique to this particular mod. Pretty much all of them uses Goldsource modelshots to preserve some kind of warped idea of consistent artstyle, and the reason I stopped at 50 is because I couldn't find more models (with proper credits) to modelshot, so please don't ask me to add more.

If you're asking why some of them reload particularly quickly, it's because I'm keeping with base BoA's regular reload speeds so they all match instead of the custom weapons suddenly taking half a minute to reload compared to the vanilla ones. Also helps hide the fact that I'm being VERY economical with the sprite frames, no smoothy blurry mcflurry stuff here, all snappy sharpy edgy.

But anyways, the big list, I'm sure you're wondering what I got here.
The weapons in ConfisWeaps are as follows:

Spoiler:

Regarding installation, since a couple of people have asked, I have no idea how one could load in addons with the standalone launcher currently. As I've said before, I primarily use ZDL to launch mods with my GZD install, and standalone stuff like Total Chaos/Adventures of Square/even BoA is no different. I just took the BoA IPK3, assigned it on the IWAD tab, and then launch both PersAdd and ConfisWeaps on External Files.

DOWNLOAD:

Unleash Death Incarnate!

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler:

VIDEOS:

Spoiler:

CREDITS:

Due to how large the credits size is, I've placed it all in the README that is inside the archive.
I'm certain I got most of them, though there are probably some stuff I could miss. Feel free to remind me of those ones.
Last edited by ZikShadow on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZikShadow

Re: [Blade of Agony] Personal Addon & Confiscated Weapons!

Postby ZikShadow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Decided to completely overwrite the original stuff here, now that I've basically updated both it and added a new mod on top.
Finally done with PersAdd and ConfisWeaps, after about a month of dilly dallying around.
Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.
ZikShadow

Postby chronoteeth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 am

glad its being overhauled! hopefully its own stand alone thing after like what happened the day that this mod was posted
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby wildweasel » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:29 am

ZikShadow wrote:Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.

I'll go ahead and put it in Gameplay Mods for you, then.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby undeadmonk354 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm glad it's finally overhauled! Is there also a custom enemy addon with it's own custom and unique enemies?
undeadmonk354

Discord: Crazyboy88#3491

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Cool idea! Would love to see if you're able to add more gear/equipment for the player to use as well. I like the idea of having some randomness for what you can find out in the field to help you finish your missions.
-Ghost-

Postby ZikShadow » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:26 am

wildweasel wrote:
ZikShadow wrote:Not sure if this should be moved, now that it's not quite exactly just a graphics/audio patch.

I'll go ahead and put it in Gameplay Mods for you, then.

Many thanks.

chronoteeth wrote:glad its being overhauled! hopefully its own stand alone thing after like what happened the day that this mod was posted

I can't really turn this into a standalone thing, since it relies on a lot of BoA's stuff. Well, I guess I could make a Nazis! expansion instead, but I can't be bothered to deal with the weapon swap system there at the moment. You could atleast run Doom maps with all this if you got BoA loaded as a Doom PWAD instead of it's own IWAD and then load in the defaulter addon after. All the enemies, weapons, and equipment's properly replaced, so it's like a gameplay mod of sorts.

undeadmonk354 wrote:I'm glad it's finally overhauled! Is there also a custom enemy addon with it's own custom and unique enemies?

No, I'm unfortunately not that good. It's all just new sprites, sounds, and guns.

-Ghost- wrote:Cool idea! Would love to see if you're able to add more gear/equipment for the player to use as well. I like the idea of having some randomness for what you can find out in the field to help you finish your missions.

I'm not really sure about what to add inventory items wise. A lot of them have already been filled in base BoA from bandages, field kits, zerk packs, to mines. I suppose I could maybe add stuff like binoculars, but you usually get scoped rifles faster anyways, so that's out of the window too. Any ideas?
ZikShadow

Postby -Ghost- » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:09 am

Hmm, yeah a lot of it is covered. Maybe different sized backpacks/bandoliers etc. to let you carry more ammo in different amounts? Binoculars could be useful, maybe some sort of scuba gear, some kind of kit to patch up armor a bit. Not sure if there is something for this, but an item to restore and boost maximum stamina would be helpful. Even just more visual variety would be cool, like a few different sprites for medical/armor pickups and ammo.
-Ghost-

Postby armymen12002003 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Good addon i got a couple small you should have the waffen ss drop the stg44 and the paratroopers drop the fg42 and have have the play certain equipment hence stealth missions start with the welrod and the de lisle.
armymen12002003
Feel THIS, demon!

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:40 am

armymen12002003 wrote:Good addon i got a couple small you should have the waffen ss drop the stg44 and the paratroopers drop the fg42 and have have the play certain equipment hence stealth missions start with the welrod and the de lisle.

I'm trying to avoid tampering with as much stuff as possible, especially with something as complicated as enemies that could change in the next update. Literally the only things that connects ConfisWeaps and BoA's stuff are the crates themselves that directly replace the goodie barrels along with the script that also removes ConfisWeaps stuff when you move to Astrostein Part 2.
ZikShadow

Return to Gameplay Mods