[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v2.666][NEW] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by irontusk341 »

Mikk- wrote:Really stupidly sorry about the extremely dumb delay, but I'm pleased to announce after a bit (only teeny) of a hiatus I've resumed development on Champions!

So here is version 2.666, it features some new tweaks and changes, it's not much but it's a start as I intend to continue the mod's development.

mk-champions[2.666].pk3 (477kb)
Spoiler: changelog
Again, really sorry for the delay! Real life has been more than just a little bit in the way. Please let me of any suggestions and/or issues that crop up.
Dont be sorry bud, Life happens and sometimes Deadlines can be hard to make. keep doing what you're doing, spontaneous can be a good thing. ;)
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Oh, boy, I'm so glad that you are still developing it! This is one of those mods that I use literally all the time.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Happy to see you're back! Thanks for the update!
Hope to see blood color inheritance improved in the future as it is kinda funky right now.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Totally understandable that real life gets in the way of things. I've been there many a time. :P Glad to see you back though and happy to see another update! I'll give it a try as soon as I'm able. <3
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Totally understandable that IRL stuff can get in the way, it sucks, but it happens. I'm just happy that the mod is still in development and that it got an update, fixing some problems and adding in some new features :D.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Glad i'm not the only one, for few people agreed that the real life can be hard, slow, delaying and just... Awful. But we sincerely appreciate the new update! Glad it's all done now.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Glad to see this updated! I was running this (more accurately myself) through the battery of tests combining this, Colorful Hell, and LegenDoom, mostly to test the bundle bug fix, but also to enjoy the new features, and I had this happen:

https://i.postimg.cc/5N6LN7sY/Screensho ... 112327.png

A bit of trouble shooting points the issue at the new colored projectiles when combined with Colorful Hell. For more info, I'm running on LZDoom 3.84, obviously the latest version of Champions, and ColourfulHell97CCC.pk3. For now, I just turned off the setting for colored projectiles, cause its not a huge deal.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

First of all I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words and appreciate their patience with the development of this mod!

re: the coloured projectiles issue, I’ll take a look later this evening through my own testing; though for the time being it may be wise to disable the coloured projectiles option as it may cause issues. Another thing is that the sprites themselves seem to be affected by palette constraints, a trademark of the old software renderer - so I would again advise anyone using said renderer to disable the coloured projectiles setting as it will cause visual flaws.

EDIT: I've figured out the cause of the issue with Colorful Hell, the "glow" effect from the coloured projectiles also spawns when the CH monsters spawn their "Colourblind Indicators". I'm working on a fix which will be in the next version.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

This mod is quite nice man, though playing it in ObAddon with a bunch of mods like LegenDoom (and this is where I need to report a bug), Champions, Colorful Heck, and Universal Entropy with a couple other navigational ones...
I found a couple of bugs, and one that I am not sure that counts with the slue that I am playing with currently but I may end up coming here if LegenDoom is not the problem (I would want to find more anyways but am open to other vanilla mod randos if ye do)
One being that well, the summonfriend command. I use it to summon say a chain gunner guy, but the thing is when he ends up with say a color or has the on spawn flame thing (The CGG is green, the flame on spawn is green): It just ends up being hostile to me and my other friendlies. I tried to use an archvile, lo and behold it works and it is friendly to us.

Another being the glow color they have on projectiles. It just never goes away, and even then when they walk around that should be a setting in of itself too.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Also, champions turned into gold statues via Guncaster's Philosopher's Tome do not drop their bundles.
TeaganWatson

Post by TeaganWatson »

Hello.

I use this mod regularly, and have tried combining it with some other mods, and either it works perfectly, or it won't spawn enemies and hangs. I've tried using this current version (2.666) on the latest gzdoom (4.4.2). The mod I'm trying to use is Embers of Armageddon, which does have enemy replacements, and it hangs in a similar fashion if there are some monster replacements in other mods. I can't say specifically all of the mods that I tried it with that it has had this error on, but since I'm currently using EoA I figured I would point it out and perhaps someone could help or the mod author could help.

The error in question is:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from champion_Handler.WorldThingSpawned at mk-champions[2.666].pk3:zscript/champions/handler.txt, line 198
This error happens almost immediately after launching a new game. I can launch a map that has already been made (like through loading a game), but if I go to the next map it will error. So it exclusively seems to be handling making the map in the beginning of the level. My load order looks like the following:

EOA Assets.pk3
EOA Code.pk3
mk-champions[2.666].pk3
Thank you for the mod, and I hope this is fixable.

-- Tea

Edit: The change EOA makes to monsters is to make them glory kill-able, not exactly monster replacements, I was incorrect and want to fix that.
Mikk-

Re: [v2.7] CHAMPIONS [update 29/11/20]

Post by Mikk- »

So I've updated Champions to 2.7, hopefully squashing some bugs & adding new features. Check the changelog in the main post and download now!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

You forgot to have it check to see if you're running Guncaster:

Undefined drop item class Diamond referenced from actor Champion_GuncasterGemDropper
Undefined drop item class Sapphire referenced from actor Champion_GuncasterGemDropper
Undefined drop item class Emerald referenced from actor Champion_GuncasterGemDropper
Undefined drop item class Ruby referenced from actor Champion_GuncasterGemDropper
Undefined drop item class Amber referenced from actor Champion_GuncasterGemDropper
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

this is a minor issue that doesn't impact gameplay, I didn't forget anything. It's just the simplest way to create a Guncaster bundle that doesn't involve creating my own RandomSpawner class.

I've never been all too happy with the bundle system, I can't find a happy medium between aiming for mod compatibility & gameplay balance. It's unfeasible for me to comb through every mod and create a bundle that just werks™. Half tempted to dump the current implementation and just write something simple.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

I think I've found a problem with Legendoom Lite compatibility: if it's on when I start a map, non-champion monsters will have random blood color.
Also, Silver champions sometimes cause a crash to console a second or so after the map begins.

Edit: The exact condition for multicolored blood seems to be "LD compatibility was on when the map started and when the monster spawned. The condition is in handler.txt line 375, but I can't figure out how it leads to blood color changing.

Edit2: This seems to be caused by the clause at baseclass.txt line 258, which clears champion status but apparently leaves some parts of it (like blood color).

Edit3: Here's the error description from the console for silver champions:

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from Actor.A_FaceTarget at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/actor.zs
Called from champion_SilverShield.StateFunction.2 at
mk-champions[20201129].pk3:zscript/champions/champs/champ_silver.txt, line 135
Called from champion_SilverShield.Tick at
mk-champions[20201129].pk3:zscript/champions/champs/champ_silver.txt, line 111
Called from state champion_SilverShield.2 in champion_SilverShield
Called from Thinker.Tick [Native]
Edit4: Found the cause, champion tokens CopyBloodColor to the monster and it's not restored when the token is removed later.

Do I understand correctly that LD compatibility is supposed to only championify legendaries? That's pretty limited, I'd love to play with normal random champions and guaranteed legendary champions with boosted abilities.

Edit5: Finally sorted out the silver champion thing: the shield going up crashes the game if the monster doesn't have a pain state.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”