[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomenator

Re: [v1.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Doomenator »

It is advisable replace the effect of the dark green champ. Bright green puddles looks very worst especially on steps or liquids. Replace it with something like the poisonous green mist. :)
Spoiler:
Mikk-

Re: [v1.3] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

Here's a quick v1.3 update to fix the Archvile array access out of bounds VM abort. It also fixes a broken sight check with the Grey champions so they should no longer leap randomly

Download mk-Champions[1.3].pk3 (167kb)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Mikk- wrote:Here's a quick v1.3 update...
Great work, Mikk-! This is a lot of fun to play.
I think the fear effect is a little too subtle, as nothing really indicates anything has happened. A message, screen color change or maybe even a sound que would be excellent. :D
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

The new update is awesome, Mikk, but I have a small question. Is it possible for the mod to change the blood colors of champions to their respective champion color, or is that beyond what is possible while still keeping things compatible?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I actually think that dynamically altering blood colour by ZScript is not doable if I recall correctly. Someone with more knowledge than me on ZScript might want to correct me on that one. It would be a cool feature though!
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

I just ran into a small issue regarding the dark-red reviver champions. They don't drop anything. They don't drop bundles, they don't even drop their normal items if they're supposed to (like shotgunguys and chaingunners dropping their respective weapons, or zombiemen dropping clips).

This is probably because they don't 'die' normally, they transform into a gib pile and *that's* what you kill, but as such they skip whatever drop-item step they were supposed to have.
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

KarolineDianne wrote:I just ran into a small issue regarding the dark-red reviver champions. They don't drop anything. They don't drop bundles, they don't even drop their normal items if they're supposed to (like shotgunguys and chaingunners dropping their respective weapons, or zombiemen dropping clips).

This is probably because they don't 'die' normally, they transform into a gib pile and *that's* what you kill, but as such they skip whatever drop-item step they were supposed to have.
Yeah, I noticed that as well; I'd think the pile would retain *all* the traits of its parent monster class
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

I'm finding it difficult to spot Spectre Champions. I just died from sawing an Orange Spectre to death only to have my face blown off. While amusing, I don't think repeated experiences will be all that great. I don't know what would be a good fix tho. Maybe Champions could emit light of the same color as their color type?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I was thinking of automatically modifying the spectre's render style to be something other than fuzzy, to at least make their Champion Colourisation apparent.

I've been working hard these last few days on v1.4 with several new features, fixes and Legendoom-exclusive compatibility. I'll hopefully have an update out by the end of today (Friday)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Would it be possible to list what the colors do (maybe a one or two word description/keyword) in the weighted spawn menu? If not, I can always reference the list in the first post. Having it at all is fantastic by the way, its great being able to rearrange the different buffs to match various gameplay mods/maps.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Mikk- wrote:I was thinking of automatically modifying the spectre's render style to be something other than fuzzy, to at least make their Champion Colourisation apparent.
Cool! That will fix the issue. I was hoping for some extra visual stuff, like light or particles. Some custom monsters are very difficult to identify as champions, such as when a Profane One from Realm667 spawns as a red champion.
Mikk- wrote:I've been working hard these last few days on v1.4 with several new features, fixes and Legendoom-exclusive compatibility. I'll hopefully have an update out by the end of today (Friday)
Looking forward to it! :D
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Hey, I played this thing. Cool mod, but I have a few suggestions:
1. White enemies go intangible quite a bit before they become fully invisible. Checking the code reveals that they cannot be shot while they have an alpha lower than 0.5. I recommend 0.25, which is far less visible.
2. Green enemies can teleport into places they can't actually teleport out of. This is because they gain +DROPOFF and MaxStepHeight 512 while teleporting. Maybe don't do that?
3. The extra projectiles from blue enemies dying and from purple enemies seem to be affected by gravity. Intentional?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Untitled wrote:Hey, I played this thing. Cool mod, but I have a few suggestions:
1. White enemies go intangible quite a bit before they become fully invisible. Checking the code reveals that they cannot be shot while they have an alpha lower than 0.5. I recommend 0.25, which is far less visible.
---Technically white enemies are intangible one-third of the time. VISIBILITYPULSE phases between 0.25 and 1.0 alpha, and the champ changes state at 0.5 - I could lower it to 0.33 to make it even more lenient.

2. Green enemies can teleport into places they can't actually teleport out of. This is because they gain +DROPOFF and MaxStepHeight 512 while teleporting. Maybe don't do that?
---This is changed in the next version, green enemies have the +JUMPDOWN flag instead of +DROPOFF which creates less undesirable behaviour.

3. The extra projectiles from blue enemies dying and from purple enemies seem to be affected by gravity. Intentional?
---Yes, this is intentional.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Mikk- wrote:---Technically white enemies are intangible one-third of the time. VISIBILITYPULSE phases between 0.25 and 1.0 alpha, and the champ changes state at 0.5 - I could lower it to 0.33 to make it even more lenient.
Opening Post wrote:WHITE - Attacks will pass through the enemy when nearly invisible
Enemies being intangible 1/3rd of the time is manageable in most cases, but the description implies that they are "nearly invisible", while 0.5 alpha is pretty evidently visible. I wonder if there's a way to get the pulse without the flag...
Nems
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

This has become a must-have/auto-load mod for me. I really enjoy using it in conjunction with Colorful Hell and LDL. <3

Eagerly looking forward to 1.4. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”