[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: [v1.1] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Ryuhi »

another fantastic mutator mod, well done as always :)

I have been running into a small glitch with testing in Hexen though, the dark red monsters corpse is invisible, making it hard to kill before it resurrects.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I love this mod.
Can you add some effects (like smoke or light) for orange enemies? So I can easily spot them.
Recognizing differences between red and orange is sometimes difficult because I have minor colorblind.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Ryuhi wrote:another fantastic mutator mod, well done as always :)

I have been running into a small glitch with testing in Hexen though, the dark red monsters corpse is invisible, making it hard to kill before it resurrects.
This happens because the gibs use a stock doom gib sprite that isn't present in other games. I could remedy this by providing a new gib sprite for all games. This also affects the orange, blue and violet champions which also use stock doom sprites. (Explosion and imp fireball)
namsan wrote:I love this mod.
Can you add some effects (like smoke or light) for orange enemies? So I can easily spot them.
Recognizing differences between red and orange is sometimes difficult because I have minor colorblind.
Sure, I could add different visual cues for different champions. For the explosive I was thinking maybe a fuse stick to the champions head to indicate they go boom!
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

:trippy: :thinking: the orange champs look more gold to me tho #verifyvenuz
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Found a bug. The blue champions' mini spawns count towards enemy amount, but do count as dead enemies when killed. It makes it impossible get 100% kills when a blue champion is spawned.

I'm really digging this mod/mutator. :D
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Cyanide wrote:Found a bug. The blue champions' mini spawns count towards enemy amount, but do count as dead enemies when killed. It makes it impossible get 100% kills when a blue champion is spawned.

I'm really digging this mod/mutator. :D
That was some slight experimenting on my part to see whether setting and unsetting COUNTKILL will fug with the kill counter (hint: yes it does) and I forgot to remove it. This will be fixed in the next update.

In other news I'm toying with a dynamic weighting system for champion spawns - controlled by CVars - this will replace the original method which is very simple - I might also add a new champion or two ;)
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

Mikk- wrote:In other news I'm toying with a dynamic weighting system for champion spawns - controlled by CVars - this will replace the original method which is very simple - I might also add a new champion or two ;)
Would you also consider adding a chance for Isaac-style bonus drops after you get the fundamentals squared away? (I wonder how a troll bomb equivalent might work :3: )
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Mikk- wrote:That was some slight experimenting on my part to see whether setting and unsetting COUNTKILL will fug with the kill counter (hint: yes it does) and I forgot to remove it. This will be fixed in the next update.
ZScript doesn't automatically update the monster count when setting COUNTKILL.
Just like you're supposed to use A_ChangeLinkFlags to toggle NOBLOCKMAP, you're supposed to use [wiki=A_ChangeCountFlags]A_ChangeCountFlags[/wiki] to toggle COUNTKILL/COUNTITEM/COUNTSECRET.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I like the idea of being able to select weight for champion variant spawns, it would be nice to be able to shift it away from certain types of mutators that can break maps/mapsets (teleporting enemies don't seem to play well with some custom maps)

that said, this is going to sound like a really off request... Would it be possible to make a "no-translation" CVAR to not recolor enemy sprites? it can be especially confusing since I have a hard time telling the colors apart, but it would also be cool (and evil) to have their abilities be hidden until you encounter them firsthand
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

phantombeta wrote:
Mikk- wrote:That was some slight experimenting on my part to see whether setting and unsetting COUNTKILL will fug with the kill counter (hint: yes it does) and I forgot to remove it. This will be fixed in the next update.
ZScript doesn't automatically update the monster count when setting COUNTKILL.
Just like you're supposed to use A_ChangeLinkFlags to toggle NOBLOCKMAP, you're supposed to use [wiki=A_ChangeCountFlags]A_ChangeCountFlags[/wiki] to toggle COUNTKILL/COUNTITEM/COUNTSECRET.
Thanks for that! How have I never heard of this before? That fixes everything!
Ryuhi wrote: that said, this is going to sound like a really off request... Would it be possible to make a "no-translation" CVAR to not recolor enemy sprites? it can be especially confusing since I have a hard time telling the colors apart, but it would also be cool (and evil) to have their abilities be hidden until you encounter them firsthand
Seems easy enough - consider it done!
ErrantMasa wrote:
Mikk- wrote:In other news I'm toying with a dynamic weighting system for champion spawns - controlled by CVars - this will replace the original method which is very simple - I might also add a new champion or two ;)
Would you also consider adding a chance for Isaac-style bonus drops after you get the fundamentals squared away? (I wonder how a troll bomb equivalent might work :3: )
I was considering adding bonus drops for killing champions but I'm not too sure what champion would drop what item at the moment.
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

I was going to ask for the same thing as Errant. My suggestion would be piles of armor or health bonuses like in Colorful Hell. Make a little invisible randomspawner, call it the 'BonusPinata' and have it burst into little pickups. Or maybe if you can get it to work, have it actually use the 'burst' script that creates a number of drops relative to the monster's mass, that way a colored imp doesn't drop as many as a colored baron or cyberdemon.

But yeah, something as simple as a few health bonuses or armor bonuses can go a long way towards making the champions seem worthwhile.

If that's not quite enough, toy with dropping ammo, or maybe very rarely soulspheres or the like. Sticking with vanilla drops will lead to better compatibility with other mods. Or, just make it another option in the menu so the player can choose what, if any, items champions drop. That way if there is a fringe case where a mod replaces soulspheres with archviles or something, you can flip a switch to fix that.
Last edited by KarolineDianne on Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikk-

Re: [v1.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

I've taken all of your feedback and implemented several new features including 2 new Champions! The Pink Champion with regenerating HP and the Titan Champion, a hulking boss enemy, you don't want to encounter one of these dudes unprepared! I've also altered how the spawning works - you now have full control over what champions spawn! Take a peek at the new options menu pages.

Download mk-Champions[1.2].pk3 (167kb)

Changes from previous version (v1.1)

Code: Select all

New Features
		- 2 New champions!
			- Pink - regenerates 8hp/s 
			- Titan - 3x Health and Damage, 1.5x slower movement speed
				- when killed gives the player a "fear" powerup for 30 seconds

- Bundles! 
			- very early bonus drops. Champions will drop bundles on death
			- drops small ammo pickups and health/armour bonuses
			- stronger monsters drop more items in their bundles.

- Spawn Menu
			- you can alter the weight of the monster spawns
			- this means you can remove certain champs from the pool completely

- Colourless Champions
			- removes the colourisation of champions to allow greater compatibility with other mods.

- Champion colours have been altered slightly in some cases (mostly orange, indigo, blue and violet)

Issues Resolved
		- Added new sprites from Freedoom for the Blue, Orange, Dark Red and Violet Champions
		- Resurrected Champions now retain their effect
		- Indigo clones no longer mess with the kill count and cannot be resurrected.

ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

using gzdoom 3.3.2, in certain spots a looped sound of the revenant's melee attack plays from seemingly no source. I think it has something to do with grey champions
Yukiko_Gem

Post by Yukiko_Gem »

Hello! I noticed a bit of a game-stopping error (to where it doesn't crash, just kicks me out of the game and takes me to the console) when I mix this mod with LegenDoom Lite that I figured I should report about.

Code: Select all

VM Execution Aborted: Array access out of bounds. Max Index = 14 Current Index = 30
Called from Champion_Handler.WorldThingRevived at mk-champions[1.2].pk3:zscript/champions/newhandler.txt, line 115
Called from state Archvile.6 in Archvile.
For reference, I've tested it with Vanilla Archviles, Colourful Hell's ones, and GMOTA's Bonelord on Plutonia Map 01 after killing some of the enemies and going up the stairs to let the monster closet Archvile try to revive one of the chaingunners, just to recreate the situation a few times in an easy manner to try and see which mod it was, and it only seems to happen when I mix this mod with LegenDoom Lite to my knowledge.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

On GZDoom 3.3.1, when an Archvile goes to revive seemingly any champion (maybe?), it causes the game to crash with the message

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/W6uE8da[/imgur]

I was playing with a mod, but double checked that it did it unmodded. It does. I was on MAP01 of New Gothic Movement 2 and it happened pretty consistently on one of the first few Archviles.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”