[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v2.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Nems »

I tried Champions again on the latest GZDoom version with LegenDoom Lite and it looks like the compatibility between the two mods is broken for me. I have it set where Legendaries are supposed to become Champions after they transform but the Champion effects are being applied to even non-Legendary monsters.

The mods I was using (in order from first to last) are the following:

Code: Select all

2002ad10.wad
ColourFulHell93BetaEX2.pk3
LegenDoomLite_2.0.pk3
mk-champions[2.2].pk3
DoomIncarnate_v1.7.pk3
[v1.2]mk-z-episodic.pk3
[/s]

EDIT: Nevermind it's something to do with Doom Incarnate.
Lime

Post by Lime »

from playing the mod with legendoom 2.0, i have encountered this bug from using the incinerating weapons.

Code: Select all

[vm execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. in function parameter "self"
called from actor.countinv [native]
called from champion_handler.worldthingspawned at mk-champions[2.2].pk3: zscript/champions/handler.txt, line 206]
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

I get the same thing after a few seconds in the titlemap.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Thanks for all the reports guys. I've been rather busy with IRL stuff so I haven't had much chance to work on Champions v2.3 - I have however fixed most of the bugs that have been reported.

I do have one small issue and that's regarding the Missile colourisation that can screw with other projectiles - it works by checking if the projectile's owner is a champion and then colourises it the same - the only issue is that certain darker colours do not play well with the additve render style, such as the black, violet, blue and dark green colour schemes, they become nearly invisible with this rendering style - so if the effect is enabled I force the style to be Translucent - now this works, but can look quite odd when other effects are spawned, such as trails or muzzle flashes.

I am debating adding a rendering style switch for Champions 2.3, where you can enforce which render style you prefer if the projectile colourisation method is - though this could cause more problems in general - There seems to be no clean way to solve this issue, so in the next version the projectile colourisation option will be disabled by default.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:Thanks for all the reports guys. I've been rather busy with IRL stuff so I haven't had much chance to work on Champions v2.3 - I have however fixed most of the bugs that have been reported.

I do have one small issue and that's regarding the Missile colourisation that can screw with other projectiles - it works by checking if the projectile's owner is a champion and then colourises it the same - the only issue is that certain darker colours do not play well with the additve render style, such as the black, violet, blue and dark green colour schemes, they become nearly invisible with this rendering style - so if the effect is enabled I force the style to be Translucent - now this works, but can look quite odd when other effects are spawned, such as trails or muzzle flashes.

I am debating adding a rendering style switch for Champions 2.3, where you can enforce which render style you prefer if the projectile colourisation method is - though this could cause more problems in general - There seems to be no clean way to solve this issue, so in the next version the projectile colourisation option will be disabled by default.
Another thing: if I recall, in Adventures of Square, Armor Bonuses don't exist, so bundles for that game should be purely be sodas.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

So, I loaded 2.2 with Heretic and then...
Attachments
WHOOPS
WHOOPS
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Ikazu-san wrote:So, I loaded 2.2 with Heretic and then...
Clearly the level itself spawned as a silver enemy.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Mod is incompatible with Guncaster 3.0 as the game simply won't start.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

That's real helpful, no error logs or anything. This report is practically useless.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Spoiler:
Steps to reproduce: Load Guncaster, load Champions after. Using GZDoom version 3.4.1.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

I'll also confirm this report:

https://i.imgur.com/NNLQo2G.png
theviolator

Post by theviolator »

eharper256 wrote:I'll also confirm this report:

Yeah, same here.

Also, Mikk - Just so you know, this issue has been mentioned on the Guncaster thread, and PillowBlaster has expressed interest in a collaborative effort to get it working with Guncaster 3.0, so you may want to contact him about that.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

i believe i've got a fix for the guncaster problem.

Someone64 and eharper256 both shown what the problem is.
eharper256 wrote:I'll also confirm this report:

the errors that pop up is the result of a conflict with the sprite names with the champion icons and something in Guncaster. I couldn't actually find the conflicting sprites in Guncaster itself, though.

The fix for this is to simply change the name of the champion icon sprites to something that does not conflict with Guncaster.
I started this by going into the "sprites/icons" folder and changing the sprite names from "ICON##" to "MCON##", as you can see in the below screenshot:

Next, I went and found any reference to the icon sprites and changed them to match the new names I gave them.

After I had done that, it worked like a charm! I no longer got the errors in the console, and the game didn't crash! The only other hiccup I encountered is that if champions is loaded after Guncaster, it overrides Guncaster's bloodspot changes, but loading Guncaster after Champions fixed that. Here's a link to my copy which already has the changes. And here's a screenshot to show that it now does indeed work with Guncaster.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Nice work, I was already aware of the issue and knew how to fix it, quite simply really. I just haven't had time to work on anything mod related recently.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Best of luck working on this mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”