[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: [v2.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Ryuhi »

JadedLexi wrote:
Gorec wrote:
Lud wrote:

Sorry for bad quality, screenshotted it from a stream. Can't say how it happened exactly cause I wasn't watching at that particular moment. It was really random, though, didn't happen for over 10 maps of a slaughterwad with 1200 monsters each.
i disabled every option that has something to do with enemy or projectiles(but not enemy color) so i dont have any bugs
A post like this helps nobody.
in a way, no, but it does also help in saying that it does not occur without an external mod.

verifying which mods do and dont cause the issue is wildly more helpful, of course.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ryuhi wrote:
in a way, no, but it does also help in saying that it does not occur without an external mod.

verifying which mods do and dont cause the issue is wildly more helpful, of course.
It occurs with The Trooper, usually triggered by the Soul Commander, which is basically like a Pain Elemental that spawns any enemy except for itself - because it spawns groups of enemies, the chances that some will be champions (and, in turn, will spawn more enemies upon death, and that some of those will be champions, and so on) is very high, and given enough time, it will eventually attempt to spawn whatever it is that causes this crash.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Ryuhi wrote:

It occurs with The Trooper, usually triggered by the Soul Commander, which is basically like a Pain Elemental that spawns any enemy except for itself - because it spawns groups of enemies, the chances that some will be champions (and, in turn, will spawn more enemies upon death, and that some of those will be champions, and so on) is very high, and given enough time, it will eventually attempt to spawn whatever it is that causes this crash.
Would the same happen if an Arch-Vile tried to resurrect a monster (i.e. when resurrecting the monster in question has a chance to turn into a champion)? Any time I had this crash happen to me was when dealing with Arch-Viles. I'd have to reload a save and pretty much kill the offending Arch-Vile in question before it could resurrect anything to keep it from happening again.

I'd have to try the mod again to attempt to exactly replicate what happened but as far as I can remember I had the same "divide by zero" error when I used this mod. Granted, I was also using other mods too (I think I did indicate that when I posted about this error in the past).
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Nems wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:
Ryuhi wrote:

Would the same happen if an Arch-Vile tried to resurrect a monster (i.e. when resurrecting the monster in question has a chance to turn into a champion)? Any time I had this crash happen to me was when dealing with Arch-Viles. I'd have to reload a save and pretty much kill the offending Arch-Vile in question before it could resurrect anything to keep it from happening again.

I'd have to try the mod again to attempt to exactly replicate what happened but as far as I can remember I had the same "divide by zero" error when I used this mod. Granted, I was also using other mods too (I think I did indicate that when I posted about this error in the past).
Did you try the original mod or my fixed version a few posts above? In my version, the bug with Arch-Vile resurrecting Indigo Clones was fixed, but ofc I can't be sure :D Never saw "division by zero" bug and can't fix until I'll reproduce it somehow.
Nems

Post by Nems »

Mere_Duke wrote:Did you try the original mod or my fixed version a few posts above? In my version, the bug with Arch-Vile resurrecting Indigo Clones was fixed, but ofc I can't be sure :D Never saw "division by zero" bug and can't fix until I'll reproduce it somehow.
Not yet. On my long to-do/backlog list for Doom. :P
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Mere_Duke wrote: Did you try the original mod or my fixed version a few posts above? In my version, the bug with Arch-Vile resurrecting Indigo Clones was fixed, but ofc I can't be sure :D Never saw "division by zero" bug and can't fix until I'll reproduce it somehow.
Original - using your fix seems to cover it (technically, my error was "Tried to read from address zero"), but I discovered something else: Since The Trooper has an option to replace various item drops with enemies, item bundles essentially turn into ammo and monsters, essentially adding in excess of about 6-10x the normal quantity of monsters in a given map:

Spawning after champ death

Beginning and near-end level kill counts

Now try it with 10x Universal.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Well it's probably for the best that you disable bundles if you're gonna replace items with monsters (seriously who does that?)
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Mikk- wrote:Well it's probably for the best that you disable bundles if you're gonna replace items with monsters (seriously who does that?)
Someone crazy who leaves a CVAR option in the options menu for just such a thing (AFAIK it's not enabled by default).
sir_firebrand

Post by sir_firebrand »

Thanks for the amazing mod Mikk-, I would like to make a simple request, if possible.

I would like to ask if it would be possible to make an option within the mod to make each monster type have a color, not every monster, so every Imp have the same color, so no more "rainbow monsters" every map, in a way that when the map changes, each monster class have a new, single color, ex: E1M1 have Dark Red Imps, Green Shotgunners, Blue Pinkies, etc, and every map change, the color changes as well, so in E1M2, the Imps are Indigo, the Shotgunners are red and the Pinkies Black. It will probably make it a bit less random, less chaotic, changing the gameplay in the process.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Still no Guncaster compatibility yet? Oh well.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

While using the mods, here can affected by custom monsters too
1. Aeons of Death
2. Kriegsland Enemies
3. Doom Kraken Monster Randomizer V4
4. Monster Mashup v9
5. Circus 2 (It will crash the game when you see Gold Enemy types)
6. Monster Pack Base V3
7. Doom 4 For Doom
8. Colorful Hell
9. Hard Doom
10. Hunters Moon
I dont know about others, but remember that custom monsters can affected :D
Nems

Post by Nems »

Mere_Duke wrote:Did you try the original mod or my fixed version a few posts above? In my version, the bug with Arch-Vile resurrecting Indigo Clones was fixed, but ofc I can't be sure :D Never saw "division by zero" bug and can't fix until I'll reproduce it somehow.
I've been playing with your version and I haven't come across the crash I was having before. :D

However, icons for the champions don't seem to be showing up in GZDoom 3.6.0. Also, I don't think mutations are showing up either but that could be because of how low I set the spawn chance for them (10 overall and 1 for each of the three mutations).
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Spoiler:
Megabig thank you for creating this fix! :wub:
The original had occasional crashes but this fixed version you did has worked flawlessly for over 9 full playthroughs so far. :D
Mikk-

Re: [v2.5] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

Champions 2.5 is out!

Sorry for the delay, all - I've been rather busy with real life, and haven't had much time to fiddle with this mod...

mk-champions[2.5].pk3 (303kb)
Spoiler: changelog
Rowsol

Re: [v2.5] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Rowsol »

Glad to see the mutations are working again. I like the GC compatibility.

I noticed something in the code.

DropItem "Amber", 255, 32;
DropItem "Ruby", 255, 16;
DropItem "Sapphire",255, 8;
DropItem "Emerald", 255, 4;
DropItem "Diamond", 128, 1;

Emerald is worth 250 and sapphire 400, it seems like they should be switched. And diamond is worth a fuck ton, 20k, so by looking at this it looks to be far too common.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”