[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: [v2.1] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

I've been working hard on the new version of CHAMPIONS! So much so that I have decided to skip ahead to version 2.0!! So here it is, without any further delay!!

mk-champions[2.1].pk3 (270kb)
Spoiler: changelog
EDIT: Version 2.1 is a quick patch to fix a particularly mean bug that could cause Undying Champions to become unbeatable
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Nice update!
This mod already consumed tons of time from me.
And thanks for adding icons. They made the game really fair.

Very rarely, enemies with Legendoom pentagram spawn despite I don't load Legendoom, and not using the Legendoom Compatibility option.
Are they buffed by some enemies...? Or, is it a bug?
https://imgur.com/nfNhv09
namsan

Post by namsan »

Oh, enemies with pentagram were titan mutation. My bad.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

What an update!! :D This mod is on my standard load order from now on.
The mutation system is really cool.

I've noticed that the description for bronze and silver champions is the same in the options. I'm guessing that's not correct?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Bronze Silver and Gold used to have the same effect, only the next tier did it better- the flavour text is a carryover from that time. I'll update the text in the next revision
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

This is definitely a welcome update to the mod, especially the new effects added. It definitely helps when using a mod like Colorful Hell. However, I have encountered a bug while playing.

The mod drastically decreases my fps to the point where playing any map with a large number of champions is a chore. This was not a problem I had back when I was using version 1.3, which never really gave me any noticeable drops. I tried tinkering with the settings and the only thing that improved my fps was decreasing or removing champion spawns entirely.

Hopefully you can find what's causing this to happen. Maybe it's just a problem on my end. I wouldn't know, I know next to nothing about ZScript.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Mikk- wrote:...
I told you what the puddles looks bad. Mist or droplets will be much better. :)
Spoiler:
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

IdiotBitz wrote:This is definitely a welcome update to the mod, especially the new effects added. It definitely helps when using a mod like Colorful Hell. However, I have encountered a bug while playing.

The mod drastically decreases my fps to the point where playing any map with a large number of champions is a chore. This was not a problem I had back when I was using version 1.3, which never really gave me any noticeable drops. I tried tinkering with the settings and the only thing that improved my fps was decreasing or removing champion spawns entirely.

Hopefully you can find what's causing this to happen. Maybe it's just a problem on my end. I wouldn't know, I know next to nothing about ZScript.
i thought it was because of the particles when i loaded counterattack by mechadon but its not
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I am aware of the performance issues in the new version- it is my number one priority to try and remedy these problems
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Doing some tests to compare. I'm loading legendoomlite with it. Testing on a map with 156 monsters, standing at the start.

Spawns turned off = 120 fps
Spawns & mutations @ 100% = 90
Icons added = 75
LegendoomCompat added = 2

With just LDcompat turned on with no spawns it drops to 30 fps.
Particles doesn't affect performance enough to bother.

With my current settings of 50/10 spawn chance and particles/icons it's only a drop of 8 fps.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Thanks. It seems like there's some much needed optimisation with the legendoom compatibility. It's a bit of a botch job
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

The cooldown on the silver champ doesn't seem to work. It seems like 140 would be 4 seconds and since the shield lasts for 2 you should have a 2 second window after it wears off but you don't.

Oh, and the bundles give out ridiculous amounts of ammo. I'd cut it in half at least.
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

I noticed what I think it a small bug. When I run this with LegenDoom LITE, the LegenDoom compatibility option doesn't seem to work. I typically have Champion chance set to 100% with LegenDoom Compatibility turned on, so every single Legendary enemy is also a Champion, but nothing else is.

When I use this with LegenDoom LITE, that doesn't work. Every single enemy is a Champion, with some being Legendary, the compatibility option does nothing.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Truth be told I haven't tested this with Legendoom Lite - only Legendoom 1.6. Looking at Legendoom Lite I see that is is a .pk3 - this will cause an issue with how I originally detected Legendoom, it's a flaw in the current implementation that will be fixed with the new version of Champions.
namsan

Post by namsan »

I was thinking, an ability of Pink enemies is too insufficient to be an actual threat to players.
Healing 8 hp per second won't change things much.
I have some ideas to make pink enemies more interesting.

1: Give an ability that can heal nearby enemies to pink enemies.
2: Buff their healing ability more (like 24hp/sec), But their regeneration will stop for seconds if they received damage.
So Player still can kill them with weak weapons like pistols.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”