[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rtma

Re: [v2.5] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Rtma »

Edited for another report, Is it intentional that Titan monster variant aren't infightable?
Last edited by Rtma on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Judging from the picture I seen on the first page, would it be possible for one to restore the monsters eye colour to their default for lets say imps and demons? it looks weird from what I saw, the green enemies make it look like those plastic toy army-men 3D models xD
also looks a bit strange the teeth on the imps and tongue are all that same shade. I'm more than likely gonna try this out on a stream at some point, could be hella fun :O
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Is this mod being updated at all? the Crashing is a motivational killer.
Talon1024 wrote:I see what's causing the array index to go out of bounds.

champion_Bundle.champions_DropItems(int drops) has a loop that removes items from the DropItems array, but the "drops" argument is not modified to account for the shrinkage.

Adding this at the beginning of the for loop fixes the bug:

Code: Select all

if (i >= DropItems.Size()) break;
This works, thank you for restoring functionality.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Need patches for Hideous Destructor and Doom RPG SE
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Thoughts on a few of the variants, suggestions even, I don't know about other's but improving white and dark green champion creep generators since they can be mainly trivial by keeping distance, how about their attacks also apply a lesser slowing and minor Poison damage over time effect accordingly if hit by the monsters attack? could be based on damage, light blue champions could also repel/push you depending on damage. although that could be exasperating.
Also those healing items from bundle drops, can we get them to super heal above 200? like Brutal Dooms Health bonus pickups.
Speaking of Brutal Doom, I've noticed, if this is isolated to that mod or in general, that Explosive weapons sometimes bypass certain abilities like Indigo splitting or Orange exploding on death champions, also that Indigo spawns have the same health as their original counterpart in brutal doom but smaller and harder to hit despite stating splitting into 2 weaker versions.
Last edited by Rtma on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

So where do you insert that code? I dont really see any obvious right spot to put the loop break. Great mod btw. But please, patch this in if you're still working on it. I think the mod's pretty much done otherwise, maybe a couple more boss mutations would be nice?
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

hornbuckle0wns wrote:So where do you insert that code? I dont really see any obvious right spot to put the loop break.
Took me a while to line up and figure out. BUT. I'll upload this *lazy* fix version to those that don't and/or can't figure it out themselves, your welcome in advance. :wink:
Download Here.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Could you do something about optimization? larger clusterf**K maps tend to slow down dramatically to an unplayable mess with Brutal Doom, try Sunlust map 24 from the start (GZDoom) and 25 in combat, you'll see what I mean, if you can do anything about that then that would be great.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Rtma wrote:Could you do something about optimization? larger clusterf**K maps tend to slow down dramatically to an unplayable mess with Brutal Doom, try Sunlust map 24 from the start (GZDoom) and 25 in combat, you'll see what I mean, if you can do anything about that then that would be great.
That sounds more like a Brutal Doom issue, not necessarily a Champions issue. Brutal Doom adds a lot of additional sprites with the gore effects. The thingcount in map 24 map already exceeds 2500 (if you're playing on UV then over 1800 of those things on that map are monsters).

GZDoom in particular doesn't play well with slaughtermaps/slaughterwads to start with even without throwing mods into the mix, based on my experiences. As soon as you start throwing mods in, that already shaky performance gets worse depending on what mods are used. Mods that just replace weapons, like Russian Overkill or Trailblazer, have less of an impact on slaughtermaps/slaughterwads than mods that replace both monsters and weapons.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Nems wrote:That sounds more like a Brutal Doom issue, not necessarily a Champions issue. Brutal Doom adds a lot of additional sprites with the gore effects. The thingcount in map 24 map already exceeds 2500 (if you're playing on UV then over 1800 of those things on that map are monsters).

GZDoom in particular doesn't play well with slaughtermaps/slaughterwads to start with even without throwing mods into the mix, based on my experiences. As soon as you start throwing mods in, that already shaky performance gets worse depending on what mods are used. Mods that just replace weapons, like Russian Overkill or Trailblazer, have less of an impact on slaughtermaps/slaughterwads than mods that replace both monsters and weapons.
Not sure what to say, thanks for responding, I surmised just by playing that when I turned the champions numbers off the performance increased so wasn't sure of the correlation, seems like everything else, most other maps are playable, it's just these slaughter maps that are concern, recommendations? suggestions?
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

@Mikk, been meaning to mention this for a while, but haven't gotten around to it, but I ran into an issue when pairing this up with Colorful Hell and LegenDoom. Specifically, when defeating a Boss/Champion/Legendary enemy, the code for the bundles causes an array overflow error. I'm not sure exactly why it happens, or even if its both mods or either/or causing it, but I solved the crash by adding a bounds check to both "champion_DropItems" and "champion_DropModitems", literally just:

Code: Select all

if (drops > max)
{
	drops = max;
}
... after the first line. Other then that, great mod!
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Is this compatible with Diablo 3D?
Mikk-

Re: [v2.666][NEW] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

Really stupidly sorry about the extremely dumb delay, but I'm pleased to announce after a bit (only teeny) of a hiatus I've resumed development on Champions!

So here is version 2.666, it features some new tweaks and changes, it's not much but it's a start as I intend to continue the mod's development.

mk-champions[2.666].pk3 (477kb)
Spoiler: changelog
Again, really sorry for the delay! Real life has been more than just a little bit in the way. Please let me of any suggestions and/or issues that crop up.
barosans

Post by barosans »

oh ! nice !
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

"You mean this guy just updates his mods whenever he wants?"

Nice to see you again, mikk! The silver champion change sounds pretty neat. On the topic off suggestions - could it be made so that mutations are determined at the start of the map when using dormant champions? It feels kinda cheap when you get killed by a titan enemy, load a save back up, and when you activate it again it isn't a titan anymore.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”