[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Post by Mikk- »

I was playing the Binding of Isaac the other day and I thought to myself "might be neat to try and implement the Champion monsters without directly modifying or creating new monsters" - so I did! After a few hours here are the fruits of my labour!

Champions is a gameplay mod that adds 17 new variants of each monster and is cross-iwad compatible!!
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Champion and Mutation types (spoiler alert!)
Download here
(requires GzDOOM 4.5.0 or later.)
Spoiler: changelog
Last edited by Mikk- on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v1.0] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Cardboard Marty »

This is really awesome! I've only dorked around with it a little bit but the cross-compatibility is sure to spice up enemy encounters for a variety of mods! Great job, can't wait to play with this more!
Shadez12

Post by Shadez12 »

Is it me or does this affect the player as well?
EDIT: It actually behaves sort of weird in Brutal Doom, monsters will change colors. Just testing this out in different mods for fun.
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

have you tested compatibility with LegenDooM Lite and/or Colourful hell yet? (I'll go ballistic if all three can combine!)
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Shadez12 wrote:Is it me or does this affect the player as well?
[..img..]
EDIT: It actually behaves sort of weird in Brutal Doom, monsters will change colors. Just testing this out in different mods for fun.
It... shouldn't? Definitely shouldn't - I suppose Marky Mark puts the ISMONSTER flag on the players - he must have some serious mental deficiency (i.e. severe retardation). :|
ErrantMasa wrote:have you tested compatibility with LegenDooM Lite and/or Colourful hell yet? (I'll go ballistic if all three can combine!)
I haven't tested it with either - but there's nothing to suggest that it won't. You'll just have to find out ;)
Shadez12

Post by Shadez12 »

ErrantMasa wrote:have you tested compatibility with LegenDooM Lite and/or Colourful hell yet? (I'll go ballistic if all three can combine!)
Oh dear.
Even the weapons are colored!
I think you have your answer.
ErrantMasa

Post by ErrantMasa »

just tested it a bit (I also use DooM Roguelike Arsenal)! Even MAP01 is insane; I *love* it! If it's possible, get in touch with Hege Cactus, Yholl, and Sgt. Shivers (among other modders) and see whether there's some way to synergize all your respective mods! :BFG: :instagib:
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Shadez12 wrote:Is it me or does this affect the player as well?
Odds are Mark's got some really [censored word] method of causing monsters to despawn/respawn, likely to differentiate between alerted and passive/on the prowl for the pseudo-stealth. And for some reason the player uses some weird tags too.
I tested this and it's pure chaos, where even the player randomly changes monster attributes which can result in tanking a full shotgun blast head-on one moment, surviving death with 1 HP implausibly another, and then tapping a Dark Green's acid trail and exploding violently all over the place. It's fun to see that Champions even manages to work in the first place, but Brutal's so hilariously broken that it becomes anarchy.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

This is great! :D
I would like some way of changing the amount / frequency of champion monsters, though.
Also, the dark red champions don't respect a monsters blood color when spawning the shootable corpse.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Well I wasn't able to capture a pic of it, but I tried playing Plutonia with this and Quake-Style Unbound. And I guess one of the Cacodemon enemies constantly rewrites their state or something already, so it was literally every variant type and cycling through all the colors rapidly while dodging and teleporting all over and releasing near-instantaneous death. I'm definitely finding some rather interesting reactions with other mods.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'm trying out this mod, and it's just... miraculous how well it works! Like, seriously! The modifiers are neat, can't wait for more, and testing it with Beautiful Doom, the color of the modifier applied to a monster actually carries over to their gibs. I have no clue how or why that works, but I love it!
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/VnMvzl0[/imgur]
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat May 05, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tags on screenshot(s).
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Okay, so I completely un-scientifically stress tested this mod with Colorful Hell, Legendoom Lite and Russian Overkill. Pretty much everything works fine (aside from sensory overload), but I have found a legitimate bug. The Champion modifiers apply to Russian Overkill's Warpocalypse Tank, since it's technically a monster. It has resulted in this amusing bug, though.
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/LgiIhri[/imgur]
The top half of the tank (the turret) had the modifier that allows it to regenerate if you don't gib it, so upon trying to return the Warpocalypse, the turret was left behind. It can't move or fire, but the tertiary turret still fires at enemies.
Anyways, great mod!
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat May 05, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tags on screenshot(s).
ErrantMasa

Post by ErrantMasa »

CHAMPIONS, or Super Pride Day!!
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

dead bodies of white variant are shootable and autoaim works on them
Mikk-

Re: [v1.1] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

I've made a few changes and hopefully squashed a handful of bugs and so Version 1.1 is here!

Download mk-Champions[1.1].pk3 (143kb)

Changes from previous version (v1.0)

Code: Select all

New Features
		- New options menu!
			- Override global spawn chance and colour!

Issues Resolved
		- fixed "hidden" corpses from being autoaimed (hopefully)
		- fixed white corpses being shootable 
		- fixed multiple mod incompatibilities such as 
			- Brutal Doom
			- Quakestyle Unbound
			- Russian Overkill

Return to “Gameplay Mods”