[v1.1.0] Episodic-EX - Play all levels in sequence!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: [MINI MOD][v1.2] zEpisodic - Play all levels in sequence

Post by Zhs2 »

It may work as a drop-in mod if the event handler is changed to be static, but in the interest of not needing to muck around with your mods to recover your game in progress you can try "changemap E2M1" in the console.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Zhs2 wrote:@Nems: After some investigation into these gameplay mods, I notice that Doom Incarnate contains a ZMAPINFO lump while zEpisodic has a regular MAPINFO lump. According to the wiki, [wiki=MAPINFO]MAPINFO isn't parsed at all if a ZMAPINFO lump is present[/wiki], so perhaps zEpisodic will start working again if this lump's name is changed.
I played with the load order today some more after you mentioned that. I made sure Doom Incarnate loads up first, then zEpisodic rather than the other way around and zEpisodic worked. Seems it was still a load order issue after all.

I'm gonna play around with it more today though. Gives me an excuse to play with the Champions mod as well so I can maybe try to take a screenshot of the crash I got before with it since now I know how to take a screenshot of the console. :P

EDIT: So even with the edited load order I'm still having the same issues as before. I think Dinosaur_Nerd may be onto something. Until then, I'll just use the "changemap" command in the console to start a new episode while still hanging onto my stuff from a previous episode.

EDIT 2: The culprit has been Doom Incarnate all this time. I just tried zEpisodic with Trailblazer and it works.
GamingMarine
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by GamingMarine »

Hey, I just wanna let you know that this mod does not work with Chex Quest.
I can only assume that this happens because, while Chex Quest's levels are in the ExMy format (Where x is the episode and y is the map number), the episodes end on ExM5, rather than ExM8.
BradmanX
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

The mod doesn't appear to work with Heretic, or atleast it didn't seem to when I tried to play though it with Trailblazer and Champions, starting from Episode 1.

Here's the load order I had set up for those curious:
https://i.imgur.com/KLwnYaS.png
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

There is an underlying issue with zEpisodic in regards to how it is loaded which I aim to fix soon. I'm currently out of the country and away from any sort of editing tool. I'll fix this when I get back, which is some time next week
Mikk-

Re: [v1.0.0] Episodic-EX - Play all levels in sequence!

Post by Mikk- »

Slight bump but zEpisodic has gone through a bit of an overhaul and is now known as Episodic-EX! Please read the first post for more details.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

the maphash lump is a really cool idea, I'll have to try that with a few campaigns like ancient aliens and see how it goes
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I ran Episodic-EX with WADSmoosh Doom, and am glad that it actually works now. Great job, good sir!

If you want, I'll see what I can do about getting the maphashes together for Chex Quest 3 (and its three episodes, therefore). :)

ADDENDUM: I got the hashes for that game nice and ready to be transplanted into your local maphash.txt...

Code: Select all

//chex quest 3
map "38560df8a51e0b06c67e3900040ce472", "e2m1";
map "3ea55e57d9909d51570577ec8ff7d9f9", "e3m1";
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Excellent! I'll add this to the v1.1.0 release, if there's any other level sets that you'd like adding to Episodic-EX's list of supported games/mapsets please let me know!

Support is already planned for REKKR
armymen12002003
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

is this compatible with wadsmosh?
Gez

Post by Gez »

An idea for how to handle death exits: identify DE maps by their hashes and replace the exit line's teleport special by a change level.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

armymen12002003 wrote:is this compatible with wadsmosh?
Yes this mod is compatible with Wadsmoosh, just note that you need a "complete" wadsmooshed file, with The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, No Rest for the Living, Master Levels, TNT and Plutonia. Do note that the Master Levels have a resethealth/inventory flag enabled so true progression ends there.
Gez wrote:An idea for how to handle death exits: identify DE maps by their hashes and replace the exit line's teleport special by a change level.
That's the same idea I had floating around my head recently, I'm working on an implementation now, though this doesn't bypass the resetinventory/health flags in certain mapsets - namely Doom Complete and the Adventures of Square.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can use filters for them to override their MAPINFO.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh! I never thought of that. Thanks for the neat suggestions, Gez!
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

Now it's time to burn through Project Brutality, DooM Roguelike Arsenal, and TrailBlazer with this sweet monstrosity! :twisted: Might feel like cheating carrying weapons across episodes, but this is DooMguy/Doom Slayer we're talking about!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”